“Perfect area; lovely people and FOOD!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Green Palm Homes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Green Palm Homes
Ranked #10 of 191 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Byron Bay, Australia
“Perfect area; lovely people and FOOD!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Beautiful area set in a picturesque village 1 hour from Alleppey. The rooms were fantastic and the food was absolutely delicious! Although the wait times in between meals is pretty long and can be pretty agitating if you're hungry. Cooking class with the grandmother was a good experience as well - learning how to cook traditional Keralan food. Thomas (whose part of the family) lives on sight he is a lovely man to have a chat with over some tea. The rooms were in my opinion a little over priced.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed at Green Palms with two friends in January. The Homestay offered a true glimpse of life on the backwaters as well as comfort, great food and good company. Maria is the hostess with the mostess and I would recommend anyone who wants a genuine experience on the backwaters to stay here.

One of my highlights from my stay in India is riding a Maria's daughters bike around the island! Negotiating winding paths, canal crossings and racing home before it got dark was the best fun I had had in a long, long time!

Can't wait to make it back to Green Palms!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Copenhagen Region, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The location off Palms Green Homes is perfect.
You get to stay on a small island village, walk around and experience rural backwater life. The Green Palms family is very knowledgeable and willing to share their life and culture with you. They are wonderfully friendly and helpful. Maria was an excellent hostess.
It makes a Houseboat trip redundant and boring I think.
Beyond the homestay itself, there are lots of things to do. Especially the evening walk and river canoe ride is wonderful Thomas and other locals sing traditional songs.
You can also rent a very old wooden canoe. for few rupees., and paddle around the island. It is easy to manage, and you can not get lost!
The rooms are nice, modern and very clean. I stayed here 4 years ago, alone, but this time in December 2012 with my wife and our son, 18 year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Staying at Green Palm Homes was a unique and different experience than all other places we stayed in during the 2 week travel to India.
If you are looking for a luxury stay – this is not the place for you. You may stop reading here.
However, if you are looking for a quiet, relaxed, enjoyable and interesting time in a clean and well maintained place, with an opportunity for lovely interaction with local people you won’t be disappointed! The buildings complex was built by the family’s father (who passed away), and now runs beautifully and with great hospitality by the extended family (some travelled and lived outside of India, and came back to raise their families there).
A little about our stay: Thomas arranged our arrival in the most creative way during the 2 days country-wide strike in February (it was in the paper, if you are interested in the details). He also supervised our entire visit and made sure everybody was comfortable and happy. Maria guided us through an enjoyable (and educational) afternoon walk of the island. The food was cooked and served separately in each house. Ours was cooked by the family’s mother and was served on the porch overlooking the garden. It was delicious! We even had the opportunity to chat with the 2 amazing little girls that stayed home due to the strike.
A few other comments: we stayed for only one night, as part of a group of 20 people. I could see myself spending a few days in this place (if I ever get a chance…). It’s a good place to meet other travelers and exchanges ideas.
It was very hot and humid during our stay. Be prepared (it’s India… after all). The rooms in the building on the right hand side were equipped with ceiling fan only and there was no hot water in the shower (but it was so hot, we didn’t care). I believe the rooms in the house of the left hand side (and maybe other rooms as well) are equipped with A/C.
This place is on an island, so the only way in (and out), for you and your language, is by a canoe.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AJAelxander
denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Green Palm Homes is a unique opportunity to live on an island - in the middle of scenic backwaters. You can walk around on your own, or participate in trips organized by Green Palm.
The family that owns the place are lovely caring people.
They have a lot of knowledge on the backwaters - nature and people.
Super delicious food - yes a nice Homestay.
I would like to give the place my best recommendations.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

As a solo traveller, I found Maria, Matthew, other family members and other guests lovely companions for my 24hrs stay-over at greenpalm homes. I had a nice mix of time on my own (reading on verandah and walking through surrounding villages and paddy fields) and with others (talking over delicious meals, sharing an evening boat ride with 2 other guests, taking a motorbike ride to alleppey). The atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly. It's very easy to feel 'part of the family' while at the same time feeling free to join in, or opt out of, conversations and activities with ease. All meals are included in the cost and the food is delicious. Maria couldn't have been more helpful and I particularly appreciated her making phone calls to book hotel for my onward journey. I highly recommend arriving and/or leaving by public ferry (1.5hrs journey for 7 rupees) which has a drop-off point 3 minutes walk away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a night at Green Palm Homes in February and it was definitely the highlight of our time in South India. We stayed with Thomas and his family in the room on the main floor and it was lovely. Thomas was such a gracious host and we really enjoyed the company of him, his wife and their daughters. I would recommend going on the evening walk, it was very informative and gave us the opportunity to see everyday life on the island (an experience you can't get on a houseboat). The food was amazing, his mother is an excellent cook and we loved every meal. I only wish we could have had time to stay for longer, staying here is a must if you are in Kerala!!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying with Thomas, but I'm sure all hosts are just as wonderful!