“part of the family” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Green Palm Homes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Green Palm Homes
Ranked #11 of 193 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
london
“part of the family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

As a solo traveller, I found Maria, Matthew, other family members and other guests lovely companions for my 24hrs stay-over at greenpalm homes. I had a nice mix of time on my own (reading on verandah and walking through surrounding villages and paddy fields) and with others (talking over delicious meals, sharing an evening boat ride with 2 other guests, taking a motorbike ride to alleppey). The atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly. It's very easy to feel 'part of the family' while at the same time feeling free to join in, or opt out of, conversations and activities with ease. All meals are included in the cost and the food is delicious. Maria couldn't have been more helpful and I particularly appreciated her making phone calls to book hotel for my onward journey. I highly recommend arriving and/or leaving by public ferry (1.5hrs journey for 7 rupees) which has a drop-off point 3 minutes walk away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Greek first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a night at Green Palm Homes in February and it was definitely the highlight of our time in South India. We stayed with Thomas and his family in the room on the main floor and it was lovely. Thomas was such a gracious host and we really enjoyed the company of him, his wife and their daughters. I would recommend going on the evening walk, it was very informative and gave us the opportunity to see everyday life on the island (an experience you can't get on a houseboat). The food was amazing, his mother is an excellent cook and we loved every meal. I only wish we could have had time to stay for longer, staying here is a must if you are in Kerala!!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying with Thomas, but I'm sure all hosts are just as wonderful!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Gallen, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed in Greenpalm Homes for seven nights and enjoyed the timeless atmosphere of the place. Often we sat just in front of the house, looking at the river, the boats passing by slowly and the ferryman bringing people from one side to the other. Even more we liked to get around the island by bicycle, walking or by a canoe, which we could use whenever we liked to. So we could get through the little canals, where people live and work. In Greenpalm Homes we met nice people and enjoyed the excellent food. The family, who owns the place is very friendly and helpful and offers different activities like walks and boat tours which gave us a lot of information and a very good impression of the life in the Backwaters. If you want to enjoy this place we recommend to stay there for several days. Get there by the public ferry from Alleppey.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was the highlight of my two week southern India tour. I only wish I could have stayed longer. Philip Kanjooparampil was both gracious and inspiring. Trained as an economist, he has thrown his energies into saving and transforming his family's beloved Backwaters heritage. The only negative -- over which our host had no control -- was the heat. But it only added to the luxurious languor of the place and people. Do not miss!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in Green Palms for three nights with my parents and loved it. Maria is an excellent host, very professional and she enjoys small talk with the guests which gives the home stay a very pleasant and homey feeling. The food cooked by her mother is very tasteful. You can also join a cooking class to experience how it is being prepared. The location is wonderful, between a canal and the paddy fields. Instead of taking a tour on a houseboat, which in our opinion is rather commercial and environmentally unfriendly for the backwaters and its inhabitants, we explored the water by canoe, by a small boat and by foot. The costs are very reasonable and worth it! In particular the village walk together with a guide, gave a beautiful insight in the area and the lifestyle of the locals. The house has several areas for relaxation. You can also go for beautiful short walks through the paddy fields close by. The only con we can think of was that the dining room was really hot, but not sure what to do about this. Altogether, nothing at all to complain, we had a fantastic time. Thanks Maria and family!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
chang mai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had booked green palms after reading all the fantastic reviews on here. As a solo female traveller I do my research and pick places wisely to ensure I get a good place where I will meet others. This was for me the perfect set up. The accommodation is split over three main properties and they also have two amazing bungalows at the back overlooking the rice paddies. I stayed in Maria's house on the left with her and her two beautiful daughters. I had a large spacious room to myself with separate bathroom. The rate includes all meals and afternoon chai all of which were delicious. Maria was always on hand for advice and even let me use her mobile phone as the Internet was down during my stay. There are lots of activities on offer and I went on an amazing sunset boat trip which is probably one of the best things I did in kerala. I also hired a bike one morning and cycled for hours along the many waterways and canals. I fell off my bike at one point and it was the best thing I have done...... A local family came to my rescue and took me into their home on the river bank and cleaned me up and gave me chai!! I met some lovely people while I was there and in the evenings we would sit together and eat and share stories about the day. I also did a cooking lesson with Maria's mother which was really interesting and there are other activities including a local walk which I sadly missed out on. I cannot say enough positive things about the place and the family who run it. They have everything just right and it was the highlight of my trip. I disagree with the previous reviewer who complained about 'extra costs' 20 rupees to cross the river and provide a local family with a small income?? What an insignificant thing to complain about. Yes it is a little more expensive than the average home-stay but you are on an island so the price you pay includes accommodation and all meals. There is a small charge for the extra activities all of which were absolutely worth it. If you are looking for a real backwaters experience then book this place and you will have a great time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Tambaram, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed one night here, it was a great day, good rooms, nice food. pleasant environment. lake view . from our windows we are able to see the lake and boats passing in the lake, we had a evening cycling, altogether a nice place , we are palnning for another trip .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alappuzha
Kondai Lip Backwater Heritage Resort
Backwater Heritage Homestay
The Pamba Heritage Villa
The Pamba Heritage Villa
#1 of 150 in Alappuzha

Been to Green Palm Homes? Share your experiences!