“Very nice homestay!”
Review of Green Palm Homes

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Green Palm Homes
Ranked #14 of 210 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in Green Palms for three nights with my parents and loved it. Maria is an excellent host, very professional and she enjoys small talk with the guests which gives the home stay a very pleasant and homey feeling. The food cooked by her mother is very tasteful. You can also join a cooking class to experience how it is being prepared. The location is wonderful, between a canal and the paddy fields. Instead of taking a tour on a houseboat, which in our opinion is rather commercial and environmentally unfriendly for the backwaters and its inhabitants, we explored the water by canoe, by a small boat and by foot. The costs are very reasonable and worth it! In particular the village walk together with a guide, gave a beautiful insight in the area and the lifestyle of the locals. The house has several areas for relaxation. You can also go for beautiful short walks through the paddy fields close by. The only con we can think of was that the dining room was really hot, but not sure what to do about this. Altogether, nothing at all to complain, we had a fantastic time. Thanks Maria and family!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had booked green palms after reading all the fantastic reviews on here. As a solo female traveller I do my research and pick places wisely to ensure I get a good place where I will meet others. This was for me the perfect set up. The accommodation is split over three main properties and they also have two amazing bungalows at the back overlooking the rice paddies. I stayed in Maria's house on the left with her and her two beautiful daughters. I had a large spacious room to myself with separate bathroom. The rate includes all meals and afternoon chai all of which were delicious. Maria was always on hand for advice and even let me use her mobile phone as the Internet was down during my stay. There are lots of activities on offer and I went on an amazing sunset boat trip which is probably one of the best things I did in kerala. I also hired a bike one morning and cycled for hours along the many waterways and canals. I fell off my bike at one point and it was the best thing I have done...... A local family came to my rescue and took me into their home on the river bank and cleaned me up and gave me chai!! I met some lovely people while I was there and in the evenings we would sit together and eat and share stories about the day. I also did a cooking lesson with Maria's mother which was really interesting and there are other activities including a local walk which I sadly missed out on. I cannot say enough positive things about the place and the family who run it. They have everything just right and it was the highlight of my trip. I disagree with the previous reviewer who complained about 'extra costs' 20 rupees to cross the river and provide a local family with a small income?? What an insignificant thing to complain about. Yes it is a little more expensive than the average home-stay but you are on an island so the price you pay includes accommodation and all meals. There is a small charge for the extra activities all of which were absolutely worth it. If you are looking for a real backwaters experience then book this place and you will have a great time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed one night here, it was a great day, good rooms, nice food. pleasant environment. lake view . from our windows we are able to see the lake and boats passing in the lake, we had a evening cycling, altogether a nice place , we are palnning for another trip .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The location is beautiful, peaceful and quiet. Great place to meet other travellers and take a break from the chaos of India. They do guided walks and boat rides for a small fee which were really nice. The food is delicious, however the rooms are very basic, especially for the price. You're really paying for the location and the experience as is it a place that not many other travellers get to see up close, most of them are just passing by in ridiculous, overpriced houseboats. Maria and her family are very welcoming and flexible, they took care of everything for us. Would definitely recommend staying for more than 2 nights.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night as a tour group of 15 people and it was most pleasant. It is run by Thomas, his sister and mother, each of whom has a really nice big house on the bank of one of the backwaters of the area. I agree with a previous reviewer in thinking that while the rooms are just average, the whole experience of South Indian home-cooked food, a very knowledgible host and aninteresting walk/canoe ride as the sun went down was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Thmas' own house is new and perhaps has the most comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed during January 2013 in the Green Palm Homes, led by a nice guy called Thomas and his family. His sister Maria served us some very good south Indian food and Thomas led a very interesting evening walk along an on a backwater channel.

The room was average but the combination of service / friendliness / food and the room results in a "very good"

Room Tip: Even in January we needed the A/C Unit (500 Rs extra), be sure to ask for a room with an A/C Unit.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed two nights.
First night in a room in the house on the left, up stairs like attic stairs, low ceiling and no outlook.
With such a beautiful area just outside it is a terrible design.
Meals were in a room out the back, with guests divided and it felt like we were in a laundry.
The meals were served and you felt supervised and rationed.
Unpleasant.

Changed to the house on the right for our second night.
Verandah with room access, outlook to the canal, beautiful.
Meals were at a round table with a lazy Susan and all the guests had a great time together.
Much better vibe.
We watched the Most Exotic Marigold Hotel after dinner.

Definite downers:
It is not cheap
Anything extra, you pay - walks, canoes, old bikes . . . . Really?
Afternoon tea was packet biscuits from the corner shop!
They knew we were coming (they organised our taxi from Kochi), they have a boat, but we still had to pay the ferryman for the final 50 metre crossing.
Okay, it was only 20Rps with our two big bags, but it just didn't feel like a nice welcome.
No hot water while we were there.
I did ask for and receive an adjustment, but I suspect there was never going to be any hot water.

If you want to go, book a room in the house on the right with a verandah.
We enjoyed much more the houseboat we had immediately after this.

Room Tip: House on the right (mother's). Room with a verandah or balcony.
1  Thank WarwickEdman