“Rough, tough painful and exhilarating”

Matt India Ayurveda Centre
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Rough, tough painful and exhilarating”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I don't know whether to rate Mattindia as being Excellent (-for the superb treatments ) or Poor (-for the very basic and rather shabby amenities.)

It is undoubtedly the real thing in Ayurveda. It's not what you'll get at a 5-star resort hotel, and the accommodation is very basic, but the quality of the treatment is exceptional - and that should be what you go there for. If you opt for the 5-star resort Ayurveda, you'll get a very watered-down and soft version of what it is really all about. By contrast, I suffered painfully when the masseur found the trigger points on my feet and legs and worked hard to "unknot" some of the muscles. I was almost in tears with the pain . . . but the results were worth it.

At first, I thought that Matt-India was scruffy and grubby, until I realised that the Ayurvedic principle is to avoid sterilising the environment, and to encourage a full range of the good bacteria that a healthy body needs to develop resistance and immunities. Some of the surfaces are downright dirty, but the staff at Matt-India don't want to drench the place with harsh chemicals, the way they would in a European or North American hospital. I squirmed at first, but my 365 /24 /7 hayfever disappeared within 48 hours of arriving at Mattindia, and reappeared within 48 hours of returning home. I now believe that a sterile environment is not good for humans, and it results in allergies and intolerances. I recently read that there is medical research in the States that supports this theory

I went for a double dose of rejuvenation. One 3-week programme, then a bit of tourism then another 3-week programme. I went home 35lbs lighter, and noticeably more supple. What was really satisfying was that the big change was in my mental condition. I could hardly believe the lightness in my attitude and the creativity and dynamism that I rediscovered.

I am planning to return later in the year, because I feel I gained enormous benefit from my time there..

This was my 5th Panchakarma in 10 years, and while the accommodation and operation were less sophisticated and somewhat primitive, the treatment was far and away the best.

As for the cost . . . . I paid £24 per day for all the medical consultations, all the medicines, single en-suite accommodation, full board. free Wifi and two intensive treatments every day. That is unbelievable value.

Visited April 2014
9 Thank Caldarola

• Polish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“AMAZING EXPERIENCE....”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

i spend two weeks this place for ayurvedic treatments last january.it was amazing experience..after the treatments iam BRAND NEW.. GOOD TEAM WORK OF QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS. dr.joy and team take u a magical experience of ayurvedic treatments.i srongly recomended this place,located in a beautiful backwater village...

Visited January 2014
4 Thank samon2014
Reykjavik, Iceland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“" A good choice"”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed with a friend in Mattindia for 21 days last december, 2013. For many years I had wanted to go to India for ayurvedic treatment because of a long term ailment that slowed down my metabolism and has affected my health in various ways. Western medicine has maynly offered me pills for symptoms. After weeks of looking for an affordable good quality treatment I was adviced to choose Mattindia. I´m glad I did. The treatment was genuine, old school, thorough and very personal. The treatment I received was carefully designed for my condition. Doctor Shobha is an exellent ayurvedic doctor, well educated and with an unusual depth of insight. I felt very secure and confident in her hands. The massagers vere exellent, exsperienced, intuitive and very warm and kindhearted. Also there was a sence of joy, humor and "faith in their approach. My health has taken a considerable jumb forward and the effects are still emerging. Very interesting! I only wish I had access to this kind of treatment and medicine here in the north hemisphere.
The accomodation was basic and the food basic as well, all vegetarian, lots of fruit and fruit juces.
All the staff was kind and considerate and there was a general feeling of compassion in the air. I met lots of interesting people from all over the world.
I thank you Dr. Shobha, Joy, Shiny,Laisa, Minni and Manchu for caring so well for me. I hope I will see you again.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank 356Heidrun
Hallstavik, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“6 month after visiting MattIndia”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Now it is 6 month since we came home from Mattindia. We can really recomend Joy and his staff to take care of you.
We spent 3,5 month here and enjoyed every day. My daugther in law has a servere muscel-disaese. After this month with supergood treatments she can still walk without sticks, not so far, but the muscels are still in good condition. Naturally she has to exercise at home too to have this good result. The doctors in Sweden says that there are no help and no relief for here, BUT there is. Our quality of Life is now very good and my son and me are not so stressed any more after the treatments we got. The thing is that all the staff cooperate so well so they can give you the treatments that you need and make you feel in good well educated hands.
We stayed so long time because we wanted to relax at Mattindia and have experience at the Place and in the neigbourhood. You Always meet people with open mind and intressed of Health here.
I, myself, the mother, has been here before, so I could recommend it to my family and to all of you.
Thanks to everyone and auf wiedersehen.
Karin, Leif Åke och Lucy from Sweden

Visited December 2012
4 Thank karin s
Lyon, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Peace of mind and soul”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a very nice place - people working there are very sweet- they smile, help you in any way you need, are very happy if you share some chocolate with them, but if you don't - they won't get less happy :)
We did a 21 days treatment plan - to me 3 weeks was too much - I think I was just home sick, otherwise there is nothing to be unhappy about it. Food is typical south indian food- lots of curry leaves, not spicy, though if you ask for a spicier version you'll get it - but other patients might complain after a while :)
I had the privilege to get massages from two wonderful ladies - Minni and Lyssa - they are wonderful - truly wonderful - my body was swirling on the table like a piece of dough- and rust me it's not easy to do that ! Doctor Shoba was taking care that I will get the best treatment, Shiny was making my herbal water, Joy was filling the place with Joy etc. You get to know everybody pretty soon.
Matt India is a great place for the money you pay - I would gladly return in 2 years. In my European view the place needs a bit of scrubbing - they do what they can - I think - but it might take the whole personal 1/2 day a month to do a soap and brush cleaning. But I think our standards get lower when we get there - after 2 hours of treatment -who really cares. Kitchen is kept clean, food is good, lost 5 kg, what can you wish for more? Just a tip for others- to get outside the centre - ask for Sharon as driver, DON'T go to the beauty parlour in the village - it's rubbery - but DO go to the centre's beauty care - Carole is amazing !!!!!! and it worth every penny !! Cheers

Visited July 2013