“Breathtaking”

Ranked #12 of 191 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed at Malayalam for 5 days and it words cannot describe how beautiful this place is. Thomas and Jos were fantastic and the staff just beautiful. Don't miss this little piece of heaven on earth when travelling through Kerala. It is so relaxing waking to the birds and the sun rise is spectacular. When booking as for the upstairs rooms the view is spectacular.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

What a place! Just paradise on earth.....Wonderful stay, great place, hard to find the right word to define how good it is....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 45tr567890
vandyPerth OZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

Have stayed here on several occasions and very sad when I have to leave.

Stayed in the little bamboo hut a few times as well as the rooms on the edge of the water.

New Upstairs rooms were being constructed when I was last there in Oct 2010.

Friends have stayed in the new upstairs rooms and are full of praise.

Have had some very memorable stays here and looking forward to my next stay,hopefull sometime soon, to catch up with my friends there.Lovely people all of them.

Hope you like the pics of my Home away from Home.

Room Tip: The new upstairs rooms look fantastic. Wonderfull verandah to watch the world go by.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank vandyPerth_OZ
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed here in spring of 2008 for 3 nights....in a bamboo hut with open-air bathroom. The little frog that lived under our sink started singing every time we splashed some water down there! The staff was amazing! They catered to whatever we needed and served us the most amazing meals every night at a little table next to the water. They even let us borrow bicycles to go into town to get train tickets. Relaxing on the little deck over the water was probably the highlight of our 5 weeks in India. I would be thrilled to stay with them again!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seamonkey1
Penticton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed here for 4 days during the Snake boat races in August. The racers practiced right in front of the resort and the start line was within view of the front walk. It is a 5 minute ride from town and away from all the chaos. It is tranquil and you can just sit and watch the boats float by all day. The service was great, allow they only serve breakfast so you will have to go into town for you other meals. The rooms were nice, included mosquito net (but didn't really need it), and each had a deck area to eat and lounge on that looked out onto the water. PS if you want an indian breakfast you will have to ask for it the night before. It is tasty.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karinaChambers
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

Let me first say that my partner and I have done our fair share of traveling, typically staying at places recommended by the guidebook or other travelers. Along the way we've stayed at some fine accommodations, and I've often considered writing a positive review. But after years of backpacking this is the first time have I've felt absolutely compelled to write something.

Kerala is a wonderful place and the town of Alleppey should not be missed. But the city itself is loud and noisy - definitely worth a miss. So when arriving here one must make sure they book the correct accommodation. This is where Malayalam Resort shines. It's set on a quiet and peaceful strip of the Keralan backwaters. We arrived at night and awoke peacefully to the sound of birds in the morning. Opening the window we were greeted with the stunning scenery afforded from the hotel's property: lush green palm trees line the sleepy backwaters as large thatched-roof houseboats quietly drift along their way. We admired the scenery from one of two gazebos with mattresses that literally hang over the river. It was - as the title states - thoroughly relaxing.

What is most unique about this lovely place to stay, however, is the warm hospitality we received. Jose and his uncle Thomas were extremely attentive and thoughtful, and worked hard to ensure we had a great trip. Their family has lived on that property in Kerala for 250 years and they have a wealth of knowledge to share. They are happy to organize trips and helped us plan our itinerary for Kerala. Normally I am weary of such offers as I suspect a commission is being earned. However, in this case Jose often suggested public transit and found the cheapest and most enjoyable ways to get around. Even when plans worked against his advantage - for example we ended up checking out a day early to see Munnar, which he suggested - he recommends them if he thinks they are best.

Breakfast is served as per request in the gazebos at rock bottom prices. Laundry and everything else can be arranged. You will love this place.

I apologize for the drawn out writing. I've been traveling for a month and this is the single productive thing I've done or written since being here... so words aren't coming to me easily. But what I would like to leave you with is my full recommendation for this accommodation. It was one of the highlights of our trip and I trust will be one of yours as well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FlatfootNomad
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2011

This place is a little hard to find, as you have to walk about half a kilometer down a sometimes very wet path from the road, and then turn right near the end and cut through another resort. It’s also a couple kilometers from town, but there always seemed to be a tuk tuk waiting on the road.

So it’s pretty secluded, and maybe a little lonely for a solo traveler, but that has its benefits, too. Like the guidebooks say, the rooms are right on the water, making the porch out front of the rooms a great place to watch backwater life go by. You can also hire a canoe right there and be paddled around places the bigger boats can’t go.

The owners are extremely nice, and they have a guy working for them who is very helpful.

The room I had was very basic, but had everything I needed, including a very reasonable price. They were doing some remodeling to some other rooms when I was there, and I wish them all the best in what I’m sure is a very competitive tourist industry there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo