“comfort zone”
Review of Venice Castle

Venice Castle
Ranked #2 of 223 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2013

a very neat hotel run by a very helpful manager, Eldhose who is attentive without being overbearing which is a bit of a rarity in India we found. On arrival we were greeted and offered tea and coffee and a special lemon tea for my upset stomach. Nice spacious rooms, and a lovely common terrace for hanging out and looking at the trees outside. The terrace also had wifi which was great. Try puttu for breakfast, its pretty good!!! And the place had a generator which was kind of important for the April heat. Eldhose helped us sort out the indecision our particular group faced with the houseboats in a constructive and helpful way.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Nicely, tranquil homestay set back from the busy streets of alleppey. Great clean room and Matthew was very friendly and helpful. He helped us out with local information and is happy to help organise a taxi or whatever u need.
Great value for money, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cherry W
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was in Venice Castle for 5 days and I would stay if I could a month, more.... The place is beautiful...and the people more !! Matthew, the owner, is a great man and very helpfull, her mum is so sweet & she is a great cooker! I used to weak up everyday very happy for my breakfast. She changes the menu everyday and is the best indian food I've never tasted. Eldhose is also a great man. I loved to talk with him at the end of the day in the beautiful balcony looking to the garden. All people there is very nice people that make you feel happy, confortable and like home. Also I loved my room !!! I hope go back again !! I

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We arrived here after a long trip and were made to feel at home straight away. The house has a lovely feel created by being such an open space where the family share their home. As other reviews have said the small touches make for such a fantastic service, things like organising transport, taking us to see the houseboat we were booking, being flexible and taking us back in when we had moved to another place close by but we didn't like it, needing a room for half a day only and many other things besides. All the family members and staff were genuinely warm and lovely people. I'm sure many people mention the gorgeous 'grandma' of the family. We wanted to bring her back to the UK with us. It was really sad to leave and hard to put into words the space Matthew provides to make your stay an amazing one. Thank you so much and we genuinely mean that. Debs & Al

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This homestay is very conveniently located right in the centre of Aleppey but is also extremely quiet. The house is surrounded by gardens and the rooms are spacious and very clean and we had the only soft mattress of our month's stay in India! The family are very friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed our stay with them.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at Venice Castle for 3 nights in January 2013. I can see why it is ranked top of the b & b homestays. It is absolutely perfect. I can't fault anything (& I can be pretty 'picky' as I'm in the self catering business).
I was put in one of the ground floor rooms for my 1st night but the owner Matthew said I could transfer upstairs if I wanted when one of the rooms became free (which I did).
The rooms are excellent, clean, comfy bed, clean bedding. I slept very well indeed. The bathrooms are spotless & there was plenty of hot water.
Free wifi was very important for me & this was available everywhere. There was also a lovely veranda type of room upstairs where you could sit out & relax & do e mails.
Location was absolutely perfect. It was just a couple of minutes' walk to the Boat Jetty (which is where you need to be). The house was down a little side lane so you were just far enough away from the hustle & bustle of everything.
A flask of hot water was provided in the afternoon with tea/coffee/sugar etc which was a nice touch.
There was a bottle of mineral water provided in the room each day.
Breakfast was around a communal table with other guests. It was excellent. 'Grandma' was truly lovely. I don't think she knew many words of English but she had mastered 'toast, eggs & a few other essential words' - bless her!
The house & grounds are immaculate & the family are obviously working very hard at their business enterprise.
Matthew organised my onward journey & I was charged a fair price for my taxi (so often this is seen as another opportunity to be 'on the make' but not in this case).
If I went back to Alleppy, I wouldn't even investigate any other places - this is a 'no brainer'. I'd come straight back to Venice Castle.
Well done for an excellent business Matthew - keep up the good work.
(one very small suggestion - a small fridge made available for guests to use for their own drinks - perhaps on the top landing would be wonderful)

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are a bit nicer & they are near the 'sitting out/verandah' area
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Newmorton
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff, went above and beyond to help us plan our stay in Kerala. Rooms very clean, with lovely soft mattress and pillows. Breakfast excellent, with chance to try local breakfast but also toast, fruit and choice of eggs! Also very very reasonably priced!