“Excellent Private Collection”

210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Excellent Private Collection”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The private collection has been placed in a specially built museum by Betty, the wife of the late Revi Karunakaran in his memory. Apparently, Betty started collecting art pieces at the tender age of approx. 13 and it seems she has never stopped! Luckily, the family is obviously wealthy enough to purchase all these works of art - it's not something most of us would be able to do.

So it's great that the public can view these many and varied collections of ivory, swarowski (incredible collection and my favourite) antique furniture, crystals in all shapes and sizes, glassworks - all exquisite stuff and hugely expensive!

Our guide was very good but one does not really have time to just GAZE and absorb it all.
It is so much to take it and I would have liked some time to just go around a second time without the guide to really enjoy all the beauty of the pieces. I suppose security is an issue as this collection must be worth millions

The lights are switched off in each room as you exit and it's rather hot inside. Not sure why the lights are kept off during opening hours as the exhibits are mainly in glass cases?

No photos are allowed, not even at a fee.

The family history is interesting and its amazing that Betty, at 75, is still travelling and still collecting!! We would have loved to meet her to hear first-hand about some of her travels.

Maybe Betty needs to make a video to talk about her life - this could be shown in the museum and would make it a more personal experience.

Well worth a visit and an amazing find in the village of Alleppey.

Highly recommended.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank kaapie62

Pune, India
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Truly International Museum..”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Totally Magnificent, Brilliant, Amazin. Totally unexpected to see a world callass museum during my trip to Kerala, The museum is build by a Lady named Betty in memory of his beloved husband. The museum is Private and has excellent facilities, right from the moment we entered the premises I could feel its not a usual museum. The museum has 3 floors & has a lot of Precious art pieces from around the world. All items are collected by the museum owners themselves and you be amazed with the kind of collections. The art pieces are from around the world and you will be amazed to see so many amazing things at one place.

Kudos to the Musem caretakers & owners for having us such International standard Museum in India and maintaining it so well. A must visit.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Ajit T
Chennai
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Interesting place!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Yes, it was interesting more than anything else. First we dint expect a museum in Aleppey, and that too private. We dint know what to expect. It was beautiful, the collection. It has 2 floors, Ground floor is full of furnitures, and other heavy stuff. I personally liked the first floor better. It had ivory, crystal, jade, sea shell, silver, etc.. from all over the world, china/japan, burma, brazil, europe, you name the place, and it would be there... there were many photographs and painting of Revi and his family.
We were amazed to find that this was a personal collection, of an individual, and his wife had taken the pain to set it up as a collection, so that people could view it.
The only small issue was that, the guy who took us to the gallery, was not really a guide. He would switch on the light, and sit at a chair, and let us walk, read the index given inside every rack(sort of match the number). And yes the smell, as if the place was locked up for some time, and with the rainy season going, it was bad. They could use a bit of room freshener..
You would have to pay Rs.100 per head as entry fee.

Visited September 2013
Calicut
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Alappuzha is hardly the place you would expect to see a museum of this genre. I am no expert on crystals, but the vast collection fascinated even me. So also for the Ivory, jade and wood pieces. I have never seen a personal collection of this sort. It is to be appreciated that these have been kept for public viewing instead of being auctioned or hidden away as a private collection. Our guide, Suraj was very enthusiastic and very helpful.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank wanderlust_calicut
Chennai, India
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Jaw dropping experience”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I wasn't a big fan of Museum, until I entered this Place. When they said entry for a person is Rs 100/-, I wondered is it really worth it? But I got to know that its worth more than what I paid. Swarovski collections and Ivory were my fav. Rather than words, go and experience yourself and you will have more words than I do.

Visited February 2013