“A great place to get away from it all”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
OG's Beach Bungalow
Ranked #77 of 154 Specialty Lodging in Alappuzha
London
“A great place to get away from it all”
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We had six lovely days doing nothing at OGs Beach Bungalow. These are just comfortable rooms right on the beach with an open dining room serving good home style cooking. Nothing else. No television, no phone, no internet access (as far as we know), without going into the local village. We loved it.

Our room in the modern block was spacious and though very simple, we liked it very much. The bed was big and comfortable, the air conditioning mostly effective (blips in the power supply happen occasionally) with a good shower room and plenty of hot water. It even had good lighting for reading, something often missing from other places.

Without exception the staff are charming and helpful (particular thanks to Anand, Vineedt, Sheba, Daisy and Beena who we got to know best), happy to do to do anything they could to see that we enjoyed ourselves. We felt sad to leave.

It is a local fishermens' area which both adds to the charm and dirties the beach. But the staff kept the area in front of our rooms very clean. The water is a bit rough along this coast but we loved riding the waves in.

If you like fancy resorts this is not the place for you. But if you just want to do nothing in reasonable comfort in a great beach setting with nice people, this is a great place to be. You can always take a tuk tuk to the nearby up scale resorts that are just a few miles away if you crave a blow out dinner and some will let you use their facilities for the day for a fee.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JamesandMarjorie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Location is everything. But this had so much more. We came without high expectations but in every important way we were delighted. The staff were helpful and really became friends. The food was varied, local and made no attempt to pander to 'western' tastes thank goodness. The rooms are basic but your real room is the wonderful beach. And yet is a working community with the fishermen landing their catch every morning. An Indian guest commented to us 'This is the real India'. Walking the local area everyone was friendly but unobtrusive and we always felt safe and welcome. If you crave the simple life - come here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Surat, India
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We could not have had a better start to our honeymoon than this place! Totally secluded and away from all the hustle bustles of Indian Streets, we found this amazing place right by the sea! (Ofcourse, it could do with some better street signs!)
Blue Waters, White Sand invites you to Marari Beach! Our Neighbors on the beach were some birds and crabs! :) Not many people know this place. Even in Dec (peak season), there were just 2-3 families. Explore this place before it is completely explored
The OG's Beach Home is less of a Resort and more of a Home. Do explore the place, village and dont forget to cycle around on the beach. The food is good and not an elaborate meal like the Star Resorts.
This is a place where you have to run away - if you wish to do NOTHING! :)

Please remember to book the Front Room of the Heritage Wing of the OG's. The Other Cottage are brick and mortar. Does not have a lot of character.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dhruv M
Pretoria
Reviewed January 3, 2010

My husband, 15month old son and I stayed at OG's for a few days at the beginning of the holiday. The resort manager Anand Paul is a huge asset to the resort. He is extremely courteous, friendly and attentive and made our stay very special.

The second fabulous aspect of our stay was the cooking - the food was amazing - incredibly fresh, varied and delicious - we've both travelled extensively and my husband is of Indian origin and we have rarely tasted such delicious food.

The third fabulous aspect was the ayuvedic massage that we indulged in, organised by Anand at a nearby resort. I was massaged for 2.5 hours by Suda. I'm a qualified masseur myself and so am very critical. This massage was mind blowing.

I also wanted to praise the resort's staff on one point in particular. After we left the resort and were back in Cochin I realised I'd left my wedding jewellery in the resort room. I got in touch with my travel agent but Anand at OG's had already been in touch with Radhika to inform them I'd left the jewellery. Anand arranged for the jewellery to be brought to me in Cochin. I wanted to thank the resort cleaning staff headed by Sheeba and Anand for their honesty and efficiency in following up on my oversight.

I highly recommend OGs if you want a laid back, relaxing and nurturing experience. The staff are wonderful.

Thanks

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Manchester
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I found this hotel (loose word) on the internet and the site looked amazing and promises lots, however the reality is slightly different. The place is very hard to find to start with and could benefit from better signposting, the reception was mixed. We had requested the old rooms in the bungalow which is what is shown on the website, not one in the 2 concrete blocks that lack character and strangely arent shown on the website. When we eventually did get into the old rooms it was lovely however the a/c worked only periodically and generally not at night when you needed it! The brochure in the room also promises lots of different activities which dont materialise. Meals are served in a bamboo hut and if you want alcohol take your own with you.

Having said all that the food was fantastic, the beach deserted and the most amazing sunsets. The staff were great, apart from the manager who has a tendency to hover!!!

If you are looking for a get away type of place which has some comforts, great food and most definately not a resort, I would fully recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GromitManchester
Reviewed December 24, 2009

Me 3 - Cockroaches 0. At least I won. That’s the only positive thing to come out of the 24 hours I spent at OG's. Couldn't get into the Beach Symphony and this looked ok on the website with good reviews on TA so had to be ok right? Afraid not. Shabby dirty rooms, ripped stained bed sheets, very average food and zero atmosphere. The staff seemed bewildered when we arrived and totally unsure what to do with us. After this they got to grips a bit and were attentive enough but there was a really awkward atmosphere there the whole time. Constantly watching us and prowling round while we eat? Why?

And as for the price? Well a total rip-off. 6000 rupees all incl. is a joke for what you get. Have had better accommodation on a backpack trip for 1/10th of the price. In short, a total let down.

On the plus side, it’s a great location. The beach is wonderfully picturesque and the local fishermen sorting their catch in the morning give it a real unique quality. However, OG's need to decide what their market is. Either cut the price by 1/3rd and target backpackers or spend some money refurbishing the place and employ a manager to run it properly. I'm honestly not a fussy traveler and rarely leave bad reviews but I just really couldn't deal with OG's.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I can only fault this place for the attentiveness of the staff, a little bit too attentive, really excellent local staff but one of the reps came over to 'sell' his other 'resorts' with his laptop while we ate dinner... I really hate that. I wanted to get that out the way first because I don't want to dampen a review that deserves an excellent rating once you've finished reading. Firstly and as you will have read already the beach is crazy, postcard perfect. You feel so secluded, stranded even. On either side of you fishing boats and behind you the fishing village with some of the most awesome kids who we gave pens to.... don't worry, they ONLY want pens. I was amazed at how talented they all were at english, and all about 4-8 years old. Their parents invited us over and what felt like the entire village showed us around. NOT ONCE did we see any tourists along this vast expanse of perfect beach. The bungalow, the experience is well worth 5 times what we paid for it. Assume the food will be incredible (but too much) assume you'll want to go back. I am slightly bias in that this was our honeymoon, but I am normally very critical. BOOK IT before it gets popular.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glimpe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alappuzha
El Oceano Beach Villas
#5 of 24 in Mararikulam
Marari Austin Beach Villa
Marari Austin Beach Villa
#6 of 34 in Mararikulam

Been to OG's Beach Bungalow? Share your experiences!