“feeling of going back to the nature again and again”

The Pamba Heritage Villa
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Before our marriage itself we were planning for a suitable place to celebrate our honeymoon.
Many places came to our mind... Gwalior, Ooty, Lakshadweep, Andaman, Munnar, Shimla or Singapore and Mauritius... Finally we decided to spend it in Alappuzha... Though this was not in our list, dont know how we finalized this place. Then we searched for a better and affordable place to spend our initial days. Finally we decided on Pamba Heritage after some googling. As the name suggests, it is just on the banks of river Pamba. Very calm and quiet place. Only the silent sigh of the river tides were heard and nothing else. This place or villa is an 100yr old mansion or more and well maintained. After reaching there, we were so happy that we made a good decision. The host was unbelievable, the 60+ year old couple welcomed us in an unusual manner, dont want to crack the nut, you feel it yourself... we had no words to thank them for giving such a good welcome. We booked a double room. Very neat and tidy room I should say. Ample, ventilation, an open roof bathroom which can be covered if requested, but we kept the roof open, good flooring. The food; I should say I had the best ever food in my life at Pamba Heritage. You cant beat the food. Its so yummy... Still its watering my mouth when i write about it. They arranged the house boat for us. Though we could have went back to Bangalore from Alappuzha, we came back in the same house boat and stayed that night at Pamba Heritage. Its like the feeling of going back to the nature again and again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Pamba Heritage Villa

Reviewed March 24, 2012

My boyfriend and i have just spent the past week in Kerala in a fancy expensive hotel but one weekend in this family owned Villa on the backwaters has totally beat that hands down! We arrived in the morning to a freszhly squeezed fruit juice made with home grown fruits from the garden! Sitting in the natural shade of the tall mango, papaya and coconut trees, in a beautiful landscaped well kept garden! The view is idylic! Looking right out on to the dreamy backwaters...U can spend a whole day lazing in the hammocks looking out on to the canoes and old rice barges chugging along....Meanwhile we enjoyed the best homemade Indian food on our trip so far, all served on a natural bananna leaf outside by the Lake! Rajeev the son who was our perfect Enlish speaking host was so welcoming and attentive and we totally trusted him to organise us a backwater canal boat cruise for the following day for a very fair price compared to alot of our friends! He also organised us a wondeful 2 hour sunset boat trip on the smaller canals the larger boats cant go down! This was incredible as you see true nature as its best!\
The rooms are clean and wonderfully simple with a perfectly positioned fan abouve the bed and good AC if needed! The outdoor en suite shower under the stars was dreamy too!
I would reconmend this authentic Idilic homesaty to anyone wanting to escape the maddness and chill out in pure bliss and Tranquility! We will definatly be returning and telling all our friends about this one!!
Enjoy..!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Natasha B
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Pamba Heritage gave us a real insight into family life in the Kerala Backwaters. From the moment that Rajiv picked us up from the ferry he and his family could not have been more welcoming. The rooms are beautiful and we loved the outdoor shower. The food was delicious and plentiful - we all put on a few pounds - and the house was so peaceful that we just relaxed into the place and hardly wanted to move. We sat on the verandah and watched the comings and goings of life on the river, and we sat in the garden eating fantastic home-cooked food. This was a perfect place to relax.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Sorry about my english. But its a requirement for me to say what a beautiful stay in here.
After a journey throug South India we have been 2 days in this house.
It realy was a relaxtion, we enjoed the food, the silence and the sunsets very much.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Staying @ Pamba Heritage Villa was a real pleasure amidst nature and the looking old wooden mansion. The hosts were really nice and hospitable and the food served was eqaually good. We visited in Dec 2011 and even if staying for 2 days it was a real memorable experience.

Room Tip: choose the room on the south end
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This was my first trip to Kerala, and out of the busy schedule, kind of stole 2-3 days just for myself and my family. I just wanted to enjoy every bit, and every moment of it. After staying at Pamba heritage, only wish came, aaah I should've stayed little more! The experience is just unforgettable!

It is the home-made cup of hand-picked tea for those, who want something diffferent, which they can treasure for a lifetime. The place itself is at an amazing location, and to reach the homestay property you need to forget the roads at one point, only a boat can take you there. A real disconnect from day-to-day life at cities, isn't it? The owner Mr. Thomas and Thomas are the great humble, literate fellows, who will take care of you. Thomas junior is a friendly person, who came with a boat to pick us up. And mind it, he works in a top MNC at Singapore, but you'll never realize it for his humbleness. After reaching homestay boating for some 5-10 min, you reach the serene property on the banks of Pamba river. Every river has some stories to tell, and this one being at the threshold of your home, tells many more.

Reached there, amazing kerala delicacies will be served with great love, care and affection. Almost on demand :o) My wife is veggie, myself almost carnivorous, and kids just wanting milk with bournvita, expect all that served hot on the family's dining table. Now the time about the host couple. They are lovely couple, caring, smiling, smart, intelligent and bright eyed. The beautiful lady is also an enlightened author, and you should feel honoured when getting served with delicious Appams, that she is an artist not just in cooking. Support the author!!

There are 2-3 kids, and if you planning to go with kids, they feel just amazing. My son after catching his first fish from Pamba river, excited and already telling Papa Kerala rocks! They were already calling the place home, and roaming around freely! Can I say more?

About the sight-seeing of Alleppy part. I was not intersted in houseboats, so here again, the owner, Rajiv Thomas also arranged me for a boat ride through the rural Kerala, passing through narrow canals, showing the most marvelous part of the trip. The boatman he arranged was a quiet person, who could just understand what I am looking for. Taking us though the narrow passges of rivers, canals, lakes, he finally brought us to the adjoining sea! In one day, in just 3-4 hours we almost saw the world!!! Thanks to Rajiv for making this possible. The best thing was, the boatman allowed our family to sit on the hood of the boat, and even the houseboats guys were jealous seeing us enjoying the purest oxygen, views and feeling being on the top of the world!

Massage is also a fun in itself. The masseur would come to 'pick' you from homestay, take you though the boat to his place, not too far, and after a good kerala massage, will bring you back making you feel little dreamy this time :o)

A place worth visiting, and repeat trips for sure. It has created too many good memories, and I just hope it'll not fade away, as I have so many recordings with me. I wish, I'd have stayed more, and carried few more tapes for my cam! Also, I could have enjoyed those Kerala delicacies a little more!!! Anyway, just after coming back, we immediately learnt many of those like killler appams and cute puttu! We need to come back for those authentic gravies though?

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MMadhav
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Pamba Heritage homestay was the highlight of our trip to Kerala - the natural beauty and tranquility, the homely feel and the immersion into a Keralan life for just a few days left me wanting more. A perfect place to relax and savour traditional food homemade by the women of the house. We were thrilled to eat puttu and iddyaapam for breakfast, a banaleaf kerala thali for lunch, fresh fish for dinner, among other delacacies. Rajeev, the son of the house, was extremely friendly and helpful. If I were to go back to Kerala again, this place would be on the top of my list.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple