“Nice place; and think about his houseboat, too”
Review of Cherukara Nest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alappuzha
Cherukara Nest
Ranked #45 of 195 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Estados Unidos
“Nice place; and think about his houseboat, too”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Cherukara Nest is conveniently located; and the place is clean; and the owner is very nice. All of these things have been said by other reviewers. However, in addition to spending two nights at the guesthouse, I also rented the owner's houseboat (and three person crew) for one night, and I strongly recommend that people consider doing that, too. [Note: the boat is very nice and clean, but it is small (with only one small bedroom). I took it out alone (I was travelling by myself), and it could also work for a couple...but probably NOT for more than two people.]

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ArgentineTraveller6

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I want to warn single female travellers about a member of staff at this place. (Not Tony or his wife, who were fine, but a middle-aged local guy who is always there and seems to be employed to be the main point of contact for guests. I don't know his name.)

This guy made inappropriate advances towards me when I stayed there alone and made me feel thoroughly uncomfortable. (I am a twentysomething, white, British woman.) He kept insisting that a 'free massage' was included with the room (what a load of rubbish!) and knocked on my door about 10pm at night once, clearly drunk (he was always drinking), going on about this massage.

I generally found him not respectful and overly familiar - always trying to put his arm around me when talking to me, etc. All this despite my obvious lack of interest, discouraging manner and coolness towards him - he didn't take the hint. On the day I left he was still asking me if I was married, trying to take my hand to 'massage' it etc, despite me getting quite cross with him.

There's no way he's a legitimate massage therapist - it is not acceptable in Ayurvedic massage for men to massage women, and certainly not for them to behave like this. Of course, some Indian men do sometimes behave like this towards single women travellers, but you really don't want this sort of hassle at your accommodation as well.

The place was fine in most other ways, and I did stay a while and just continued to discourage him, but because of this I certainly wouldn't recommend this place for women travelling alone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
12 Thank dkvu
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Location – 5 min walking distance from bus stand, restaurants. 15 min walking distance from Nehru boating start point and just next to the Allepey canals.
Room and the stay- We got the room behind the front rooms. When I entered the room I felt as if I am in my native (as the home structures and ceilings are similar). Our room was a mini house in itself. On entering was a small room with a extra bed and sitting area, then inside was a big bedroom with wooden staircase inside.Next to it was a small area with mirror for dressing and the bathroom was basic but clean. The place I liked the most in the house was the backyard, which was the dining area. It had a pigeon nest/ home sort of structure in middle and couple of sitting areas spread out in the garden. After coming back from whole day of sightseeing we enjoyed to sit in the garden just doing nothing or watching TV in the sitting area. There are couple of very comfortable chairs where you can recline and relax.
Service- We enjoyed the traditional meal of Idiyappam and Appam in the morning made by the cook. Tony was very attentive and took care of our travel arrangements. Highly recommend the place and would love to visit again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Traveler_Madhu
Dewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2012

we loved it here. had traveled up on the ferry and this place was in walking distance from the ferry landing. A gorgeous rustic heritage home well positioned to walk into town.The room was very spacious and clean and there was a delightful courtyard/garden area out back to relax. Breakfast was included in the price and was very tasty. We hired the house boat for a night which belonged to the property;s owner Tony. We would highly recommend everyone to do this.Tony is a lovely, helpful guy and the whole place has a relaxed laid back feel.

Room Tip: we stayed in one of the non a/c rooms at the front of the house which was spacious and had its own m...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank debbielove70
london
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Tony the owner is a very nice guy.laid back and relaxed vibe. Rustic heritage home and you pay for what you get 1500 rupees per night. We stayed three nights and Most people only stay one or two at the most.
Rooms were clean but not cleaned daily. Hot water is a bit sparse and breakfast isn't much. Toast, eggs and one cup of tea or coffee .

This is a great place for people on the move and we enjoyed it.

In terms of boating on the backwaters I highly recommend doing a few day trips with the local shop round the corner called dreamboats. Turn left out of the nest and follow the road round 300 yards and the shop is on the left.
Big houseboats looked good but they are too big to travel down the smaller canals where you see real people going about their daily chores. Our driver was amazing and he normally hangs out by the kiosk as you just turn round the bend. He has one very big tooth. Can't remember his name but the guy took us to places you will never see on a big boat. Amazing guy and a memorable few days.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Chris P
Armidale, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed four nights at Cherukara Nest, in both the separate AC room and one of the front Non-AC rooms of the old house. Both rooms were excellent! This was a real gem of a place to stay and Tony was always helpful with every request. We loved the Non-AC room on the front right. It had gorgeous wooden shutters with inside mosquito screens, a slow moving fan in a high wooden roof that was just perfect for the night, and excellent bathroom (actually had an enclosed shower so the floor didn't get wet). A large room with plenty of windows and a good sized table.

Out the back of the home is a wonderful veranda overlooking the garden with sleeping pagodas under an ancient tree and a unique old pidgin coop on a high pillar. The pidgins would come down and peck their way around the garden, right onto the veranda.

Alleppey was a great stay - not just the backwaters, but also the addictive Keralan banana chips and halva sold from a shop just near the bridge at the main street. Try the date halva and the karachi halva! Kream Korner was a perfect place for a meal and delicious cold coffee with ice-cream. We had the best Indian Spring Roll there we have ever had. Didn't think much of the Harbour Restaurant at the beach, except you could get a cold Kingfisher there - long way to go just for that.

The location of Cherukara Nest was perfect - nice walk along the canal to main street of town, and very close to the boats for day's trip through the small backwater canals for a few hours, which is pure pleasure (take your banana chips and halva along with some water).

Room Tip: Two front rooms Non-AC were very good.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
East Ham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I had a fabulous experience over here at the home stay and would like to suggest others The cherukara Nest as the best and safe stay in all over Alleppey. I would refer Mr.Tony the owner of the Nest as a remarkable and understanding person. ''Character is the immediate jewel''

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alappuzha
Green Woods-Bethlehem
Green Woods-Bethlehem
#15 of 206 in Kochi (Cochin)
Nova Holidays
#54 of 195 in Alappuzha
Venice Castle
Venice Castle
#2 of 195 in Alappuzha

Been to Cherukara Nest? Share your experiences!