“Great memories of the Gowrie”
Review of Gowri Residence

Gowri Residence
Ranked #132 of 199 Alappuzha B&B and Inns
Springwood, NSW
“Great memories of the Gowrie”
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Our stay at the Gowrie was fantastic!!! The staff were wonderful and the food delicious. Nothing was too much trouble. Thanks to everyone for a great New Year with live music and entertainment. Cheers Guys. Desley & Joe, Australia

Stayed January 2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne
Reviewed January 26, 2010

Felt right at home in this place - with a little wooden bungalow, an outdoor bathroom and friendly, helpful staff. The staff are largely but not entirely young guys, who all seem to be having a good time. The subtropical grounds are tidy, with people constantly sweeping around the paths. The food (made in an open kitchen close to the main house) is cheap and yummy. The beds aren't real comfy, but neither are any of the beds in this part of the world, I've come to realise. All in all, a great place for great value.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed January 8, 2010

It truly saddened me to read this latest review of a bad experience at Gowri because I could not recommend this place highly enough. I have never encountered the service of such attentive and dedicated staff and extended my stay to remain in this welcoming environment. Those working in this beautiful spot go to such lengths to ensure that their guests gain the most out of their stay so I find it deeply distressing to read that their managing of the houseboat business could ever be mistrusted. This sounds like a lamentably unique and unfortunate misunderstanding as, going back for a second stay at the guesthouse, I again found the people there nothing but helpful, efficient and reliable. I only hope that I can emphasise enough just what an enjoyable experience the Gowri Residence is. I would deem it an essential part of any trip to South India. I will always be grateful to each and every person there for the unforgettable time I enjoyed at this first rate hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
London
Reviewed December 29, 2009

This is my second visit to the Gowri Residence. The first was in Oct 2006. The first visit was a great experience. The rooms are simple but clean. The place is run by lots of young guys, which is quite a strange experience as it seems like they're all just hanging around having a good time and not doing much work! The atmosphere is quite chilled and there are lots of Westerners there. When we came in 2006 we rented a rice barge from them for 24 hours for 3,500 rupees. It was a Marvel Cruises boat and was beautiful and the food was fantastic. Not a sign for things to come as we were to find out...

Between 2006 and 2009 I have had a few friends come to Alleppey and every time I have recommended the Gowri Residence as a good place to get a houseboat, because of our experience. Each time a friend came back to England they would ask me with horror why I had sent them to Gowri and told me how horrible their boats had been.

This year my family had decided to spend Christmas in India, and wanted to do a houseboat trip. Because we had had such a good experience at Gowri I e-mailed them straight away, explaining that I wanted a 6 person boat from them and that my friends had had a bad experience, but that I trusted that they would find me a good boat. They responded saying that they had a great 6 person boat and that they were having a newer one built in NOv 2009 that we could have/ They said the price would be 20,000 rupees, which I though was a little steep, but since the photos looked so great I said we would do it. In between booking and arriving at Gowri I had a couple of exchanges with Gowri who said the new houseboat would be ready for us and they would see us in December. When we arrived at Gowri the night before our boat trip started they were saying the same thing - that we would have the new boat in the morning. In the morning before we left they asked if I wanted to pay them for the boat, but I was smart enough to say we'd pay them on our return. Lucky for us we did.

To my great disappointment when we arrived at the boat, it was something out of the 1980s with bits of wood hanging off the panelling, black plastic cushions and bare lightbulbs on show - nothing at all like the pictures. After all the trouble I went to to ensure that we got the good boat this felt like a complete insult, especially since they didnt' warn us - just dropped us there to find out for ourselves and drove off.

When we came back the next day they gave us all these stories about the new boat having broken down, how they had paid 22,000 rupees for the boat we went on (impossible!) and how sorry they were. I felt bad for them, but as the day went on we heard this story repeating itself over and over to the other customers who were unhappy with their boats. This is obviously a scam that they pull on a regular basis and it sholdn't be allowed to continue. We ended up paying 18,000 rupees for 24 hours which was a more than that boat deserved.

This is not to say that the Gowri doesn't have nice boats - I've seen the photos of them, but I simply don;t know who they give them to. Maybe if they manage to get someone to pay over the odds then they just give the nice boat to them instead, despite the fact that you have booked.

This is very bad business and these people are not to be trusted.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank NKZ

Travelers are raving about these Alappuzha hotels

Brit in India
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We arrived and the owners had a look of surprise on their faces despite booking previously. The room took a while to prepare and was small but adequate. Cleanliness wasn't the best but what can you expect in the jungle and damp waterways ? The owners were helpful but a bit pushy when marketing their own rice barge trip. Shop around is my advice to you. Quite well situated and only a short rickshaw ride from town. Breakfasts were good, despite the long wait but the children enjoyed playing on the swing and being pushed by the owners ! It feels secure in the hotel rooms with a gate guard ever present and a good place to chill and unwind after a long day travelling.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Seville, Spain
Reviewed August 21, 2009

It is a strange place, since it is looked by i do not know how many early twenties boys, but they are all very welcoming and help you in anything you need. It is cheap and clean, big enough place to be meeting other people there too, conveniently located... THey have 24 hour foor service, slow as every indian place I have found is, but enjoyable. I would defo recommend it

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
london
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Excellent value for money. Convenient location, different style of rooms such as bamboo cottage, standard and deluxe rooms. Good food (bit slow service), free internet, and well kept garden. If you book a house boat trip do it at the jetty and bargain!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)