“Horrible Waitress”

Snake River Grill
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Hagerman
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Bend, Washington
“Horrible Waitress”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The wife and I drove from Jackpot, NV to have breakfast at the Snake River Grill. We had dinner there in the past and remembered it very fondly. Since it has a reputation for wild game and the area is a big fishing type of town my wife had her heart set on having Trout for breakfast. First of all Trout was not available on the menu. Not a good start. Secondly, the waitress was so rude and I don't mean just a little rude. We're talking big time rude. She should work in New York City - not Hagerman ID. I noticed that they had a sign in the window to hire a new waitress. Hopefully it's to replace her. We walked out and went down the road to Bliss and had a wonderful breakfast at the Oxbow Cafe. They didn't have Trout either but the waitress was extremely nice.

• Visited May 2013

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Good food, good prices, friendly service”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We spent a month in Hagerman and got to dine at several restaurants several times. This place was dependable and pleasant. Home cooking and basic small town atmosphere make this place a good choice.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank RichandStell H
idaho
“great place for breakfast”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

we were staying at miracle hot springs in hagerman...and wanted breakfast on our way home. there is no where to eat, except the snake river grill..we were starved.
had the best breakfast..hash browns..filled with bacon, and veges and lots of cheese, topped with eggs over easy. i was happy. i never even noticed the "flaking paint and dusty vents"..i guess that i was so starved, and i usually always notice those things. food had deprived my brain.
i was so hungry, i asked for the english muffing first, so i could put something in my stomach. that was done, and yummy, slathered with whatever, and i am a picky eater. i loved it. ok, i don't eat this way ever, but i was really happy.
the waitress was very nice, and we left full and satiated.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank charley48
Boise, Idaho
“This past Valentine’s Day was my 20th Wedding Anniversary and I wanted to do something different...”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I am a 51 year old (married with children) truck driver and Army Veteran. I have had incredible meals in 5 star hotels and restaurants all over the world and I have eaten at some less than appealing dives. I have had liver pate that I still dream about and truck stop coffee that could fuel a diesel truck in an emergency. For the first 25 years of my life excellent service and quality when dining out was the norm and to be expected; the last 25 - not so much.

This past Valentine’s Day was my 20th Wedding Anniversary and I wanted to do something different to surprise and honor my lovely wife. She was born in Boise, Idaho and I have lived here since 1968. We have traveled extensively and explored our great state before we were married and in the two decades since. Can anyone tell me where there is a city (or medium size town) that does not have a Walmart, a Target, a McDonalds, and a Shari’s and an Olive Garden all on the same block?

Hagerman, Idaho does not. When choosing a place to have our anniversary dinner that was convenient to our itinerary I googled “Fine dining in Hagerman Idaho” and came upon “1000 Springs Tours - Dinner Cruises”. Although that will be a topic for a future review, the Valentine’s Day cruise was canceled and when the proprietor called to inform me he added that he would love to reserve a table for us at his restaurant the “Snake River Grill” in downtown Hagerman. Given the circumstances, I was apprehensive and hesitant. He assured me that I would not be disappointed and I was not.

Wherever we went that day (up to 100 miles away from Hagerman) everyone to whom I mentioned where we were having dinner validated that we had made a good choice and suggested their favorite SRG meal. Due to a series of glitches (the best laid plans of mice and men...) we were an hour and a half late for our 7PM reservation. Knowing the the restaurant closed at 9PM and had a full reservation list, I anticipated the worse. I called once we back in cell phone coverage and was assured we could still get a table; however, I had anxiety about a memorable dining experience considering we would be arriving 30 minutes before closing.

Our excellent dining experience at Snake River Grill started when we rushed through the front door. The place was still half full with mostly couples dressed for a romantic evening. SRG is not “High Class” by even Boise, Idaho standards but, by any standards, it was warm, clean and inviting. My wife and I had been through Hagerman, Idaho numerous times but never ‘to’ Hagerman. We know no one that lives there and this was our first time to this establishment. The girl that greeted us set the tone: “You must be Eugene and Dori? Your table is waiting if you will follow me.” I had not spoken a word and she figured out who we were - incredible. Our waitress greeted us with, “Welcome to Snake River Grill and Happy 20th Anniversary.” This was amazing, especially if you consider they were slammed all night (Snake River Grill seems to be the celebration go to place for couples: proms, anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, etc.) I had communicated with the proprietor on Facebook and once by phone yet everyone seemed to be expecting us!

Before taking our order, our waitress informed us that although they only had one baked potato left, we could order anything else on the menu and were not to feel rushed. She assured us that whatever they could do to make our dining experience special they were committed to do so. She knew about the setbacks we had experienced earlier (remember the phone call?) and was determined to help set the evening portion of it back on track. She and the rest of the staff did just that.

Our meal was not fancy: I ordered that last baked potato along with a medium (not medium / rare or rare) rib-eye and my wife ordered one of their famous (and it is) fish dishes with a vegetable medley. Everyone knows that vegetable medley means corn, carrots and lima beans from a can or bag lying over-cooked and ignored on your plate, right? Not at SRB. The medley was a perfectly cooked al dente combination of thinly sliced vegetables including squash sauteed in what we assume was olive oil. It was delicious. Both meals just got better from there. The chef must have telepathically read my mind when I pictured how a medium rib-eye should look, the fish was light and flakey, the small salad bar was cold and fresh and looked more full than it should considering the place was supposed to close in 15 minutes. Our waitress asked if we would like a glass of wine while waiting for our dinner and I admitted that I was not a wine connoisseur and could she recommend something based on what we had ordered. I wish I could remember what she brought us because it was delicious and did, in fact. compliment both our meals. As we finished our meals we noticed that the place was empty and that it was now 9:15. We wanted to be considerate of the staff so I signaled for our check. “You can’t leave without trying one of our desserts or at least a cup of coffee.” we were informed. So we split a raspberry drizzled cheesecake; it was not New York cheesecake but it, too, was perfect. By now, however, we could not decide if it was because of the ingredients and preparation or the wonderful folks who helped make our anniversary dinner such a wonderful experience.

Closing note: We went back for breakfast the next morning and I had the second best chicken-fried steak I have EVER had. At this point, would you be surprised if you knew that our same waitress from the night before (although she was off duty and just there for coffee herself) greeted us by name and visited with us until our meal came? I didn’t think so :)

• Visited February 2013
Boise, Idaho
“Way over priced”
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

They have bug prices for a small town My husband and I ordered the 8oz sirloin steak and baked potato the steak was so tough i mentiined it to the waitress she just replied" yea i know" what kind of remark is that?? Also in a place like Hagerman Idaho you would think you would get a decent sized baker it was the smallest potato
i have ever been served at a restaurant The salad bar was ok if you like iceburg lettuce overall we will never have dinner there again!

1 Thank readyreviewer