“Incredibly Scenic”

Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Kunshan
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I gather that it's a fairly new thing that they now charge about $15 U.S. to enter the water village but I thought it was worth it. It is so very scenic and picturesque. I was expecting it be crowded like in the youtube videos but we went around 10:30am in Sept on a Monday and it wasn't crowded at all. I was with a friend who speaks pretty good Mandarin and so she could barter for me at the various stalls that sell food, clothing, jewelry, and souvenirs. Certainly no one there spoke English! I liked the shopping and bought several items of clothing and souvenirs and the prices were really cheap with some good bartering. I came home with amazing photos because it's so pretty there. We didn't have time to ride in a gondola but it would have been fun. We had a little difficulty finding parking and where to enter to village. I should have brought the instructions that were in the reviews that I saw on the internet. Sight-seeing in China doesn't seem to be well-labled. It took us about 3 hours to walk around and get our fill of the village. It's truly like an Asian version of Venice and for me it was the highlight of my trip to China.

1  Thank h0lym0ly
There are newer reviews for Zhouzhuang Water Town

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Loved everything about this place. It's quaint and covers quite a large area. Excellent choice of restaurants - you have to try the Wansan ti (pork dish - a speciality for this area). We took a boat ride for 100RMB (for 5 people) and bought some local handmade things (don't forget to bargain). I would highly recommend this place. Took us 45 minutes by car from Kunshan.

1  Thank anoukmatt
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Zhouzhuang Water Town is listed as the #1 Water Town in China. It takes a little bit of an effort to get there, but it is truely a very interesting place. It is very historic and very picturesque! With all of the canals and bridges, it is amazing to wander the little walkways and alleys between the houses and shops. If you can catch it between the tour groups, it is very quiet and you can get some really beautiful photos! When the tour buses arrive, it can get quiet crowded. While it's not the size of Venice, it is interesting to see how they used the canals to get around, do business, etc. I enjoyed our visit and I would recommend it.

1  Thank mlowder500
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We took our train from Beijing to Kunshan, then a taxi to this beautiful watertown. Got there around 9:30 pm and the ticket office was already closed. We stayed overnight in one of the small hotels. Very warm owners who even helped arranged for a van ( good price) to take us to Suzhou the next day. We started very early the next day and the town was quiet. Very nice scenery walking on the streets and on the boatride. We had to wait till 8 am for the tickets office to open to get entrance to different buildings. By the time we remembered, my children got tired already since it was a very hot day. We decided to skip those sites and just walked around. Had lunch around 11am and set off for Suzhou before noon. You need to stay overnight if you do not want crowds. It is on my top 3 list with Mutianyu and Huangshan.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Zhouzhuang is a small touristic place and it gets crowded easily when groups are arriving but it is still a beautiful and charming village and a mus-see, if you are in Shanghai. When the groups are gone, the streets and bridges are almost empty. We took fantastic pictures! Try to avoid weekends and national holidays!

How to get there the cheapest way from Shanghai:
Take subway to station „Shanghai Indoor Stadium“ (metro line 1 – red) or „Shanghai Stadium“ (metro line 4 – purple).

We took metro line 1, so we go off the station „Shanghai Indoor Stadium“. Take exit 6 and walk to the Shanghai Tour Bus Center (10 min.). There are no signs, so you will have to ask people around there. Look for the „Tourist Entrance“, which is not easy to find as well but the staff oft he Bus Center will show you the way. You can buy tickets there.

150 Yuan per person (including return ticket, entrance fee for Zhouzhuang Water Village (100 Yuan) and chinese guide in the bus).

We took the bus at 9.30 am and the return bus was fixed at 2.50 pm. It’s a 90 minutes drive in a big and comfortable bus with AC.

Zhouzhuang must be very romantic at night time, that’s why we would spent one night there during our next visit. The Zhouzhuang Hostel, which is located inside of the tourist area offers cheap double bedrooms (approx. 140 yuan per night) and a nice café.

3  Thank good-vibes-4ever