“Great Restaurant”

Cuisines: Asian
Navarre, Florida
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

A friend told me about Mandarin Moon and when I went I was so surprised with thiere menu. They have something for everyone. Great food.

Visited September 2012

Navarre, Florida
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We are originally from the Northeast, and we are used to being spoiled for choice of good Asian cuisine close by. We have tried to find a good local restaurant in Navarre/Gulf Breeze area, but most have been poor take-aways in strip malls. Mandarin Moon is the exception in this area.

The outside is deceiving, but It is an actual "sit down" restaurant with table service, unlike most Asian restaurants around here. The decor is lovely, and our server was very nice, friendly and helpful. English was obviously not her first language, but she had a lovely personality and we enjoyed chatting with her about American Thanksgiving customs.

Our entrees were super, and cooked to order. Everything appeared to be super-fresh and prepared on the spot. We did not try the sushi this time - but definitely will in the future.

Visited November 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Our favorite restaurant! always excellent”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The staff is the best! The food is even better-we eat here about 2x a week-always consistent top quality sushi-considering my man never liked sushi before our first trip here about a year ago-and he is the one who always suggests going to Mandarin Moon FOR the sushi-let that tell you something ;) we love the Mandarin Moon roll, the Spicy citi and the cucumber salad at lunch is awesome-we LOVE this place!

• Visited November 2012
Pensacola, Florida
“My Favorite Sushi Place”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I love Mandarin Moon. I have to confess that my original reason for frequenting it was its proximity to my house (less than five minutes away). But the quality of the food is the real reason I keep going back. Always fresh, always delicious.

My Sunday afternoon routine is fairly consistent:
Appetizer: Volcano Roll or Tuna Tartare.
Entree: Sashimi Dinner
Dessert: Green Tea Ice Cream

The Volcano Roll (shrimp tempura, cream cheese, spicy kani salad and sweet chili sauce) has a pleasant crunch and a very nice touch of spice going down.

The Tuna Tartare is also superb, served on toast with avocado and greens.

The Sashimi Platter is as pretty to look at as it is delicious. It includes yellowtail, red snapper, tuna, octopus and shrimp, as well as a tuna sushi roll. The fish is fresh and flavorful, as is the ginger. The wasabi is neither the hottest or the mildest I've ever had, and a little dab on each bite of fish is enough for met get the flavor without being overwhelmed.
The tuna roll is fairly unremarkable, nothing more than tuna and rice. I would almost compare it to the baked potato served alongside a steak--a very simple side item to fill out the plate.

I don't always get dessert, but when I do, I love the Green Tea Ice Cream at Mandarin Moon. The flavor is very mild, and I recommend giving your dish a few minutes to soften before digging in. It's not overly sweet, and it tastes, well, like green tea. The only comparison I can give to a conventional ice cream flavor is pistachio (mostly for the color and mild flavor), but comparison almost does green tea ice cream a disservice, because it is very unique.

The service at Mandarin Moon can feel detached and slow, but that is something that I appreciate. Once the staff has brought your drink and taken your food order, they leave you alone. I like that. If you need anything, they are quick to come at your request and are always friendly and accommodating. Most of the servers are fairly soft-spoken, so if you are slightly hard of hearing, like me, be prepared to listen carefully when they speak.

As to the restaurant's atmosphere, it is quiet and softly-lit. It is large and rarely crowded. On Sunday afternoons after church, which is when I usually go, it is extremely quiet. I have actually seen other patrons come alone to eat a sushi roll before relaxing at their table with a book and a glass of wine.

Overall, Mandarin Moon is one of my favorite restaurants in town. The food is excellent, the service is friendly, and it is always quiet enough to have a good conversation with friends. My kind of place in every way.

• Visited September 2012