“Christmas lights and ice sculpture at the gulf breeze zoo”

The Gulf Breeze ZOO
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Gulf Breeze
More attraction details
Owner description: This 50-acre wildlife sanctuary is perfect for families.
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Great fun...holiday spirit and beautiful zoo.Day time visit then returned for the evening to view the ice sculpting..... carver did great job with the kids and made a beautiful tiger out of ice!!!

1  Thank Janet M

Reviewed January 6, 2014

First the bad part: this is a very small zoo. If you want a huge, new, large budget zoo this is not the one. Some enclosures are outdated, but they seem to be working on that. Animals could use a little more enrichment, they seem quit bored at times.
Now the good: I visit this zoo almost every week with my daughter. We got he annual passes. We both enjoy the fresh air and all the animals. You can buy feed cups and feed a number of animals including giraffes. There is a huge aviary with budgies that you can feed with Popsicle sticks that have seed on it. This is a lot of fun. We enjoy watching the chickens picking for bugs and sand bathing. And the peacocks wonder loose as well. Most of the time there is a random goat that's running around loose to graze a bit. There is a train ride that runs every hour and this is a nice break. Sit back look at the animals and get a nice breeze. They have a restaurant where you can grab a burger or dog. They are frozen patties but they are delicious. For 10.00 you get a loaded burger seasoned perfectly and a large portion of fries and drink. You can eat inside or out. We do outside because the peacocks tend to visit. This is a nice place to spend a day and get fresh air.

1  Thank Doodlebugs2001
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Wonderful small zoo. Animals are well fed, stress free and happy! Looks like infrastructure improvements are in process. Also stroller and wheel chair friendly. Admission price is affordable..but if you live in the area, buy the yearly pass and visit often. I took off one star only as the exhibits need signage..but I am thinking this is in the works! I live in California - but will make sure my next rip to the are includes this zoo!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Our family of four enjoyed the zoo, overall, but there were so many little things wrong, I can't give it a higher rating. It is still a good family outing, and I would still recommend it.
With a military discount, we paid $70 to get in and ride the train. That is about the same as an IMAX movie. It was nearly impossible to buy admission without buying train tickets; they pushed that hard. Then there was animal feed to buy, which I would recommend you do. (Most of the animals you feed are goats. I love goats and have two myself, but their feed costs $16.99 at Tractor Supply for a 50 pound bag, so I felt a little used at $3 for a couple of ounces. Still, buy the feed because the animals are fun to feed.)
We rode the little train, which is a 15 minute loop around 30 acres you can't (and shouldn't) walk through. The driver gave some sort of talk during the ride, but the sound system is so poor, that none of us had any idea what she was saying. The animal collection was quite varied, but due to the poor sound, we had no idea what most of them were. The train wheels were very noisy, which didn't help the effect at all. The train was more annoying than educational.
There is a walk-through aviary full of buggies. You can (and should) buy seed covered sticks to carry into the aviary. The the birds fly up and sit on the sticks and eat the seeds. They also sit on your arm, shoulders, purse, camera bag, and they try to get into your pockets or purse. The aviary was practically worth the price of admission by itself.
The animal exhibits were pretty good, but so many of them lacked signs to tell you what you were looking at, that we were constantly asking each other, "what do you suppose that thing is?" Many of the smaller displays were empty, with no explanation. There was a wall in the fence built with windows to watch bird feeders on the other side, but all of the bird feeders were empty, so no birds.
The best aspect of The Zoo for me, is the large number of animals you can touch and feed. The petting area had a yak. At least I think it was a yak since there was no sign. There were llamas (or possibly alpacas; again there was no sign), four or five mystery breeds of goats, and ducks, geese and chickens. The giraffe area had a place where the giraffes came and leaned over the fence for you to feed them. Very cool.
Overall, The Zoo was an enjoyable average priced family outing. With some attention to detail, it could be improved quite, but I would still recommend it.

2  Thank leatherman42
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife go every 2 or 3 months. Very affordable price for a very nice zoo. From the road, it doesn't look very big, but it really is. You can get very close to many of the animals, feed the giraffes, and there are giants just wandering around! Last time we were there we bought a painting that was actually done by the otters there, that was super cool! Writing about it is making me want to go back!