“Beautiful quiet retreat”

Yaklom Hill Lodge
Auckland
“Beautiful quiet retreat”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I enjoyed my 2 days at the lodge, the staff were very friendly and helpful all the time. Our rooms were clean, simple and very cute. The surrounds are beautiful and the little paths running through the bush just gorgeous. A very nice break and peace after the hecticness of Phnom Penh. We were glad there was a pack of cards though and I wouldn't recommend for people travelling alone as there isn't much going on. Nice walk to the crater lake and the lodge can organise a great trek on elephants with a local guide for you which was an amazing experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jessica D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This place will not be for everyone - but if you've made it as far as Ratanikiri, then you're probably up for a camping like experience in the Cambodian wilderness. The Lodge is in fact a series of cool little wooden cabins connected via a series of pathways all leading to the main dining area lodge. Electricity only comes on for three hours, but that's cool as most of the day you'll be out exploring the amazing countryside - make sure you visit the bamboo showers in one of the ethnic minority villages. The meals are simple, yet delicious and while the partially outdoor eating area is the perfect place to meet fellow travellers and sharie stories. My friend and I stayed three nights - we got picked up at the bus station and driven back. I didnt have time but the Lodge is a great base to explore the neigbouring Vicherey national park - apparently have to go to a tourist office to do so, but it is worth the hassle. I was happy visiting the perfectly round Yaklom Lake - swimming is a must - and local ethnic village. A good idea might be to stay in a hotel near the main town for a night or two, and then two or three nights at the lodge. Oh, and its dirt cheap! Hope this helps!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank linda s
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I had a good few days in Rattnakiri at Yaklom Lodge and a 2 day trek organized by owner Sompong. The Accomodation was basic but the wood lodges are in a beautiful location which was more than enough compensation. The nature trails had viewpoints over the hills and lovely gardens nearby.
The trek was well organized with good English Speaking guide; who took us into the heart of the forest and gave good contact with the locals. Accommodation in the village was extremely basic; hammocks on the porch of a building used for communal sleeping. There was a funeral party for the Father of the Commune officer at the time we were there so an interesting cultural experience; which turned into a sleepness night due to the loud music played into the small hours. I wont let this colour my judgement of what was a very special and unique experience. Although not part of the tour, the crater lake was not that exciting visually being just a round lake with trees. Its no Vesuvius! but just a nice place to relax.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank peaceofangkor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My sister and I stayed at Yaklom Lodge for four days, because we wanted to try out the eco-lodge experience. The lodge is about 10 minutes on a motobike from the town centre, and the area surrounding the lodge is stunningly beautiful, with wooden huts (the lodges) amidst overgrown trees and exotic plants. You definately feel like you're living in the jungle. Accommodation was definately basic, there's no air-conditioning but there is a fan. Even though its basic, that's not to say that we were disappointed with it, just that we expected it from reading other reviews and the lodge's website. Its close by to some beautiful waterfalls, and ofcourse the water-filled crater that is Yaklom Lake. Nightime is very noisy, but we were so wacked at the end of each day that this never really kept us up. The staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating. The restaurent is nice, and the food is freshly prepared, but because you're pretty much in the jungle, be prepared to swat moths (the size of a small child;s hand) away from your food. Be careful of eating rice dishes in town, where the rice is often cooked some time before and then left in the heat, as my sister and I both ended up with food poisoning. The staff are incredibly friendly, helpful and very caring. My sister and I were sick for around 24 hours, during which time staff regularly checked in on us, and brought food to our lodge, they even woke up really early to see us off the next day. electricity in the lodge is powered by direct current and alternative current. AC comes on only for a few hours in the evening, and there after the solar energy stored up during the day is supposed to provide enough electricity for the evening when AC gets shut off- make sure that your lodge has enough exposure to the sun during the day to store up enough DC. My only complaint is that as we were the only ones at the lodge the AC current got shut off alot earlier than the scheduled times, and our lodge was sheltered so didn;t manage to store enough DC, but I don''t imagine this would be a problem when there are more people staying.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ArpeetaBarua
Hanover, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Four of us stayed at the Borann Lodge in the town of Ban Lung for a month in Nov-Dec 2010. Borann Lodge is a beautiful hotel that is affiliated with Yaklom Lodge but more upscale and located in the town itself whereas Yaklom is further out, on Yaklom lake. We could not have been happier there. Borann Lodge is beautiful (see link to pictures on the Yaklom Lodge website) and well-located so we could walk to a number of restaurants easily. Gecko House is about a block away and A'dam is next door. The owner who manages the property catered to our every need and he or his wife cooked us breakfast every morning (I recommend the banana pancakes).

There are only six (?) rooms at Borann Lodge I believe. We were in two standard rooms each with two twin beds. The beds were clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were not luxurious but were clean and had standard seat toilets (not a given in this part of the world) and a shower. The rooms were cleaned every morning and we took advantage of paying for laundry several times which was cheap and returned the next day. Air conditioning made the rooms very comfortable and there's free wifi in the lobby area. There were no mosquito nets in the rooms but we bought some at the nearby market to hang over our beds for additional protection. I probably saw less than ten mosquitos over the month we spent there but better safe than sorry.

We looked forward to returning home to Borann Lodge at the end of each day. It is a welcoming, clean, and comfortable respite and an excellent value for money. I highly recommend staying there if you are visiting Ban Lung.

Finally, I recommend a guide affiliated with Yaklom/Borann called Coco if you need a person to take you around on motorbike. He is kind and trustworthy, has a wealth of knowledge about the area and its history, and is relatively fluent in English.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank twheatley
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I love ecotourism and ecolodges but this was not for me. Our room looked like it hadn't been opened in months. There were cobwebs all over the complimentary shampoo/soaps. No worries, it's an ecolodge after all. But, our towels were sitting on top of a cupboard and had big rat droppings on them. The staff told us that they had rat problems but had fixed the holes. So, either they were lying or the towels had been laying around for a long time with rat poop on them. I decided not to stay because of this reason and because I have an issue taking a motoduk 2 miles into town (I don't mind them for around town though). The owner, who picked us up for free from the bus stop, refused to take us back into town. Overall, a negative experience for me.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
rome
Reviewed January 3, 2011

The place is resonably clean, the setting is wonderful for people in love with the sounds of the nature, and the manager was really a gentleman. if you don't mind staying a few minutes motorbike ride from the (not too attractive )downtown of Banlung, then this is a relaxing and authentic place to stay

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple