“Romantic and Beautiful”

Le Bout du Monde - Khmer Lodge
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kep
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a great hotel, it's up on the hill so you can get a great view of the tree tops and gulf from your private balcony. The rooms are very comfortable, well constructed and thoughtfully decorated. At night, the sound of the wildlife provide a great white noise for relaxing or sleeping.

We only stayed one night but would have loved to stay longer. Kep is a very tiny town but it is worth seeing, especially for the fresh pepper crab dishes, and there are lots of activites in the surrounding area.

The food was pretty good, with french, western, and Khmer dishes. Service was also nice, not overly attentive (which is a good thing, IMO). The whole property feels like a lovely place to just drop off the planet for a few days and relax.

We hired a tuk tuk to take us to the market, which was about a 10 minute ride, being so high up on the hill it might be hard to walk to town from there, we didn't try.

One thing, they don't have WIFI, but offer internet USB sticks - we were travelling with an iPad so we couldn't use it but they were more than happy to offer us their PC when we needed the internet. Just something to mention.

Definitely get the pepper crab at Kimly restaurant in town!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Le Bout du Monde - Khmer Lodge

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I returned after a stay about four or five years ago. I think the rooms are lovely - they have 'love' put into the design. It is wonderful to have the outdoor portion and to be able to enjoy the sounds of the birds and insects in the evening from the open veranda area and the beds. My only critcism is that I do not think the pool works. My partner just thought it was 'dirty' as did other visitors. I think it needs rethinking as most people expect to see the bottom of it and do not like the 'dirt' at the bottom of the pool. There needs to be more sunshades and confortable loungers. The staff were very friendly and they organised an internet stick for the room as it is advertised with internet in rooms and that was very important for me to be able to do some work via internet. The owner was returning the day we left. I would come again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
KEPBDM, Propriétaire at Le Bout du Monde - Khmer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for your constructive review.
There are solutions for the pool and it takes a little time to get a satisfactory biological balance.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were so excited to arrive in Kep as we believed we had picked a perfect place to stay- we were wrong. Looking at the map we believed we were very close to town this is not the case (dirt roads and too far to walk with children) there is many many steps to walk up to even get to reception and when you have children it's hard lugging suitcases up stairs- someone did help when we were 3 steps from top!! After checking in we were told the electricity wasn't working (which we understand can happen) no wifi, aircon and the pool was a pond not a pool! It's supposedly natural but is connected to a dirty pond and sharing same water was very very dirty (we wouldn't let our 3 children swim in there). The room did have great views and was great if your looking for that "natural feel". One staff member wasn't very friendly she simply ignored us alot of the time and when I asked to use the Internet in reception wasn't overly impressed. Later that evening we decided to head up to the restaurant for something to eat and noticed there was 2 dogs in reception......they were tied up but as we were leaving one tried to attack our 5 year old daughter a very large German Sheppard I believe if wasn't tied up would have seriously hurt our little girl (this dog came within 20cm of biting her) she has now been petrified of dogs since we left and cries when she sees big dogs! Needless to say we checked out the next day 1 day early as this is not what we expected at all!! Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

GOOD MORNING,
It is hard to believe that everything is negative at Le Bout du Monde. It seems like every guest does copy and paste for 2 months.
We can understand that your young daughter was afraid when Hizia our german shepherd puppy barked, but i can assure she never bites.
Regarding the pool, kindly have a look at our website (page ecotourism).
Regarding the staff, have a look at 119 positive reviews on Tripadvisor

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Good Points:
Beautiful bungalow ' Sopheya', staff were very friendly, polite and approachable. Amazing breakfast and fruit juices. Restaurant view
Bad Points: we found it a bit hot without AC, the swimming pool was green due to it being natural, and we weren't comfortable swimming in it and it was like a building site around there and at the entrance of the lodge- not relaxing, messy and we didn't want to sunbathe around it. We went to the Verandra hotel next door to use their pool for $6 and it was lovely. They locked us out one evening at 10pm and when we rang the bell to get them to let us in no one came, resulting in us having to walk around the back of the lodge- up a pitch black path and shout at them to let us in, this was scary and shouldn't have happened.
We were really looking forward to staying at le bout du monde but it was a bit of a let down.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
KEPBDM, Propriétaire at Le Bout du Monde - Khmer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

We sincerely apologize: the young boy who replaced the guard that night saw you come back in the hotel but you went outside later. He did not think to check by closing the gate.
Regarding the pool, the water is pure. If it has the color of chlorophyll, it is because of plants and abundance of rainwater.
Our works are completed and it is not a construction site: the pool is completed and the remaining building materials must be removed shortly.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I needed a few days out of the big city of Phnom Penh and off the radar, and this glam eco resort was perfect. My wooden bungalow on stilts had a beautiful view of the Gulf of Thailand, and although the other bungalows were quite close, there were so many large trees and foliage around me I hardly noticed. My wooden upstairs balcony with hammock and couch was perfect for reading, snoozing, and having a glass of wine watching the sun go down.
I very much appreciated the fact that the room had a small fridge and a kettle.
The restaurant was wonderful, and the staff gladly obliged by bringing my breakfast to my room each morning. There was no cut off time for breakfast either which was perfect for the days I just wanted to sleep in.
The Kep National Park path was just behind the accommodation so going for a run was easy.
The new natural swimming pool was tiled and a really pleasant temperature. Being eco - it had no chlorine or chemicals and therefore the colour of the water was a little brown, but it was clean and I saw it being filtered by the staff every morning.
They were still doing work around the edge of the pool, and I look forward to seeing how they place the sun loungers around the pool with the big umbrellas.

Usually I stay at Jasmine Valley, which I love as it is in the middle of nowhere and the treehouses are more secluded, but this hotel is closer to town (easier to get to Sailing Club or Crab Market), and the pool is actually swimable
All in all a great place to stay.
Good value for money

Room Tip: My room was Sako. I would book it again.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I was looking forward to this one as the website led me to believe that it would be a stunning and tranquil resort. I booked months in advance and it was to cap off my beautiful travels to Cambodia. I was greeted with a nice pile of sand over the footpath (didn't know Le Bout du Monde was on the beach). After making my way through the construction I was greeted with, "Sorry we have construction." Cheers for the warning. I was taken to my room via the construction to find great views of Cambodian construction workers with their shirts off. It would be a lovely hotel but the lack of management skills to pre-warn guests of major construction work just left a bitter taste in my mouth. It seems i wasn't the only one affected by the noise. Also looks like the manager doesn't take constructive criticism too well (sorry for the pun)!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank TCMiller
KEPBDM, Propriétaire at Le Bout du Monde - Khmer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Again, I can only regret the lack of seriousness of a review without having stayed with us while we proposed a bungalow away from work (you also find your happiness in another hotel !).
Our workers did their best to start at 9 am and the people who actually stayed with us in April have not complained.
Now the pool is completed to the delight of chidren and adults and the sand pile is still there ... for the garden and the children.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed two nights and should have stayed longer. Beautiful views of the ocean and the National park at the back door. Loved the Khmer 'bungalow' and the fact that we could leave the windows and doors open at night. It was very hot when we stayed but honestly there was no need for air conditioning at night. Thanks to Jean-Luc and staff, really helpful and accommodating. If we ever return to Kep, this is where we'll stay

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple