“Okay stay”

Le Bout du Monde - Khmer Lodge
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Kep
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our bungalow was comfortable and it had a view to the ocean and the sunset view was nice. It was pleasant at night to listen to the sounds of birds, insects and other forest noises. The breakfast very good and food at the restaurant was okay and the wine list had a good selection.
Unfortunately for us the resort lacked a certain something. When we checked in we were shown directly to our room with little interaction with the lady checking us in and no information was provided about the resort or Kep. Throughout our stay there was limited interaction with the lady manager or staff and we never felt very welcome. This included dining in the restaurant at dinner and breakfast.
As the resort is located on a hill there is nowhere to really go except your room or the restaurant. There is no garden or area to sit in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Bout du Monde is a special place to stay but there maybe a danger that the owners are becoming complacent & may become more so when they have a swimming pool.

The hotel is about peace & quiet & nestling in the hills. We arrived at a building site - that the owners did not warn us can be described in a number of ways - my wife thinks that deceitful is rather harsh but I am not so sure.
Our amazing $40 a night room was right next to the work & although we were assured that they only worked between 9-5 it was not really what we wanted & my wife is very noise averse so we upgraded to a bigger room at $75 a night. At this point Jean-Luc's lack of candour has doubled his revenue.

He & his wife did say hello. When my wife almost forced him into conversation he apologised for the noise of the cement mixer but said it would only be for half a day - he was wrong. Apart from the cement mixer the noise wasn't too bad but there was still plenty of hammering going on & it would have been bad in our first room.

Over 5 nights that was pretty much it from Jean Luc & his wife who happened to be there when I paid our bill - she could have said "thanks for your business" or " hope to see you again" or maybe thank you - however she said nothing.

Everything was handled by the delightful Pet who checked us in, supervised our change of rooms, served our excellent breakfasts & dinner the night we ate in. She is great - shame she doesn't own it.

Putting to one side the lack of effort on the part of the proprietors the rooms are great, the location super, the breakfasts first class & the pool will make it even better.

The half outdoor showers are great & we were amazed at how bug free the room was - we slept without the mossie net with our double doors open - just great.

I heard Jean - Luc check some other guests in & he seemed like a nice chap so hopefully he will read this & not leave everything to Pet - after all it wasn't her that kept the building work secret.

Room Tip: If you can afford it Sambo 2 , best views most privacy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elestoban
KEPBDM, Propriétaire at Le Bout du Monde - Khmer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for your review and its conclusion that mitigates somewhat Manichean character. The paradox with Tripadvisor is that you can tell my name as much as you want but i can't do the same Mr S.D.
As you mention, I did say hello every morning and only your wife did the same. You turn your head in a rather rude manner. Under these conditions, we have a rule at le Bout du Monde : the customer is king and chooses whether to engage the conversation or not. I guarantee, however, that our relationship could have been clarified. It is wrong to say that your wife has forced me to engage in conversation. I am no customers ever and my responsibilities. Who can seriously believe that a pool can be built in half a day? Outside the concrete mixer, if you bothered other noises you should have told me. You were not the only guest in the hotel and no one else has complained.
If we could discuss, I would have communicated things that I can not write here about the staff.
It seems to me that you are a nice guy and I'm sure we could become friends while listening to some good Beatles songs when you visit us again once the pool is finished.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We arrived late in the evening and had a little difficulty negotiating the dimly lit paths. next morning beautiful view even better at the restaurant. Food and wine excellent and we ate dinner both nights. Pleasant owner, wife the chef. Simple rooms but a nice verandah and we did not use the mosquito netting as nice breeze from the ocean and fan kept them away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2013

It really is as good as it looks from the pictures and reviews.
The hotel has a very nice laid back rustic charm.
The rooms are built in a traditional Cambodian style, with the addition of western style bathroom. The view of the gardens and sea from the large verandah is fantastic. You even had a good view from the bed. I was concerned that it might be uncomfortable sleeping without air con, but the building design allows good air circulation and there was a nice breeze from the sea most of the time. For me it was fine. I am not sure it would be so pleasant in the rainy season.
The food was good and the staff helpful.
I was surprised to be charged 5% extra for paying by credit card - this was not stated when booking or checking in.
Booking.com incorrectly states that rooms have wifi. The only internet access is via a shared computer in the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Everything was perfect for my short stay at Le Bout du Monde. The environment was idyllic and relaxing, just what I needed after a conference in the city. The food was exceptional, the service exemplary, and all in a gorgeous open air restaurant. I hadn't planned to, but only left the hotel grounds to walk in the Kep National Park, which is just through the back gate. The hosts, Jean-Luc and Sambath, were friendly and welcoming, as were all of the staff. My only regret is that I only had time to stay for two nights. Highly recommended if you need a quiet retreat in Kep.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lesley C
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed three nights at Le Bout du Monde in Villa Sontes and had a wonderful time. This hotel deserves to be at number one in Kep. It was a dream coming true to have your own Khmer-house in Cambodia (though a quite luxurious one). What I really liked about the place is that you have all the privacy at your place with its beautiful veranda and seaview. If you wanted, you could use the restaurant for dinner or a drink, but you didn't feel obliged to show your face. Staff were wonderful. Really liked the girls at the restaurant. They were always friendly and smiling. The whole concept is wonderful and the villa's are very stylish with eye for detail. The food at restaurant is very good. ( French-Cambodian cuisine). We rented a motorbike to go to Kampot through the hotel and this was also a great experience. The location of le Bout du Monde is wonderful. Uphill but not too difficult to walk up there and close to hiking trail of Kep National Park. Close to Crab Market where we also had a few great meals with fresh seafood. The owner of Le Bout du Monde, Jean-Luc, was very helpful too with arranging our transport to Can Tho. We would definitely come back here!!! It's a very special place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marieke01
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place is a total dream. We had one night and would love to have stayed a bit longer. The rooms are fantastic- all made in traditional Cambodian ways. Overlooking the sea, sunset and sunrise were magical. And the food- wow. One of the best meals of my life... most of the ingredients coming straight from the garden. Would absolutely recommend this place to anyone looking to relax in an amazing environment.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends