“Beautiful gardens, lovely pool and great rooms”
Review of Kep Lodge

Kep Lodge
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kep
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed at Kep Lodge with my parents. I stayed for one night and they stayed on for one more night. The rooms are big and spacious, hammock outside to relax in. coffee and tea maker in the room. was very nice.
the restaurant serves up some great food and the service is always with a smile.
the gardens and the pool area is such a nice place to relax and unwind after some time traveling.
Dan the owner is such an amazing host. Its one of those, home away from home places.
can't wait to go back

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Kep Lodge

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Just back from a lovely weekend at Kep Lodge. We were travelling with a bunch of friends from Phnom Penh to celebrate a birthday. We hired out the whole place plus 5 extra friends stayed at Les du Dharma which is managed by Dan & Cheang the owners of Kep Lodge and situated just a walk down the track from the lodge.
The private villa also had a small pool & slept 5 people at a bargain at $100 per night.
So back to Kep Lodge. Gorgeous location up high where you can easily access the Kep mountain walk. I love the newer bungalows which have a private balcony with views over the Gulf. They are tastefully designed with air con & TV (not that I even turned the TV on) when you can be swinging away on your hammock reading.
The new addition of an upstairs communal area above the restaurant and overlooking the pool is another nice area to laze away some more time.
The crab markets are of course one of the must do lunches/dinners but when you have had your fill of this the Rosti's at Kep Lodge are a firm favourite.
The staff are lovely & enjoyed the party too! We were made to feel very welcome and would recommend Kep Lodge for groups, families or couples.

Room Tip: Ask for lychee or rambutan as both of these rooms have lovely views, aircon, TV & a private balc...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angela C
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This place was just awesome! The bungalows were pretty basic (the "standard" ones, not "deluxe") - bed with bug nets, small fridge, and working bathrooms - all I needed. Each bungalow had a nice sized porch with a hammock/small couch to hang out on, which was real relaxing.

The common areas, gardens, and service were the best part - the pool is amazing and relaxing (just check out the pictures above). The "lodge" part of the property is a beautifully build large wooden open-air structure/bungalow with the restaurant/lounge areas both down and upstairs. The view off the upper deck was great overlooking the ocean and Phu Quoc Island (Vietnam) in the distance.The service was super nice, quick, and personal and the food was really good.

The location seemed great. It was a nice leisurely 10-minute stroll down to the central market area on the ocean and we rented motorbikes from the lodge to get around each day ($5/day, maybe?).

I've seen a lot of snow this winter and my mind keeps drifting back to Kep and the Kep Lodge...I REALLY want to go back.

(The one thing that did turn me off was I booked a shuttle through the lodge to get all the way to Phu Quoc when I left. They picked me up on time, but I was taken to downtown Kep and sat there for an hour, waiting for another group, before heading for the Vietnam border in a van with no A/C. Customs was very quick (15 min tops for like 9 of us) and we still missed the last ferry from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc, stranding us in Ha Tien. If you're planning that route, you might be better off just hiring your own drivers.)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brendan C
keplodge, Owner at Kep Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear BCaffrey1,

Thank you so much for your nice words and your review makes the entire team feel that we are on the right path! So happy that you enjoyed everything.

I am terribly sorry that you had to wait for 1h and that you have missed the boat and I will call our partner and see what has happend and make sure that this is the last time this happens! I totally understand that you weren't happy staying in Ha Tien!

On a side note for EVERYBODY: Please be careful when you click on the Agoda link which says $24 (see above). There is an error (?) in the system so this link won't bring you to Kep Lodge, but to another place called Blue Bungalows (2 customers booked already the wrong hotel due to this mistake).

Best regards,

Dan

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Would recommend Kep lodge. Up side is the great location which backs right on to the start of a fantastic hiking trail through the national park and close to the crab markets (both a must do). Also positive is the lovely hospitality from all staff. Rooms are basic but all you need. Only downside is the rooms are quite dusty around the bed and the shower has very minimal hot water. Their dogs on site are mostly friendly but sometimes not!

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our room was very comfortable and even on the balcony we had complete privacy. The lodge layout is well considered and we enjoyed our time here in perfect relaxation. Very good menu with Swiss,Western & local options. Yippee - espresso that is drinkable! We loved the pool and the pool area is perfect to eat, chat and snooze around. The staff tried really hard to take care of our needs. Filtered water always available, tea & coffee in the rooms. Wifi connection good & ambient music was very nice. We rented a bike and headed off into the countryside for photographs, this was fascinating. Lots of smiles & waving to the locals. Kep Beach has mountains of white sand brought in if you fancy sandcastle building.
If you come here you must try the chocolate mousse......Devine!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank hilary s
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We are volunteers in Cambodia and our sanctuary has been Kep Lodge. Kep lodge is surrounded by lush green vegetation and overlooks the sea and the mountain. We enjoyed the comfortable bungalow, beautiful gardens, the relaxing pool, great food restaurant overlooking the ocean below in the distance and much more...

We have stayed twice now and plan to return soon. We would like to thank the owners and all of the staff, especially Paksay for making us welcome. A special thank you to ‘Paksay’ for all his help especially with our travel arrangements.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AliceKevin
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed in Lychee, the Deluxe Double Bungalow for 1 night. I took the Giant Ibis bus from Phnom Penh to Kampot and then took a cab to Kep Lodge. The cab driver ended up lost his way and only managed to reach Lodge upon asking a tuk tuk driver. The Lodge is located far into the mountain area and the road condition from the main road to the Lodge is quite bad. Was able to check in immediately. When I stepped into the room, I was disappointed initially. The bed frame was dusty and the whole place looks run-down. Even the washroom looks too basic for the price I paid. However after a while, I came to realize that’s the charm of the place. It is meant to be a rustic retreat into the nature and not a luxury resort. The windows (from both room and washroom) opening out to the mountain and there's a family of ducks walking by twice a day. When I sat on the sofa at my big balcony, looking out to the greens around me, it was so peaceful and quiet (despite there’s another family staying below). I only ventured out to the Kep beach and Crab market for my dinner – the Lodge can help to call a Tuk Tuk and it cost USD2 per way. As planned, I was supposed to stay only 1 night here and I was sad to leave the peacefulness here. I should have stayed here longer. The staff at Lodge offer the cheaper option of a mini-van which cost only USD4 to take me to Kampot – it’s owned by a local tour company and it also picked up other passengers at other guesthouses along the way. The only one suggestion I have is perhaps the Lodge can look into trimming the overgrown plants in front of the bungalow - the messy plants looks quite unsightly in photo.

Room Tip: Book the upper level room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
keplodge, Owner at Kep Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear NSEL,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to contribute your very good experience while staying with us.
Of course we are even more pleased that you understood the concept of the Kep Lodge - 'In Harmony with Nature' and don't miss the 'toiletries' or any other luxury item, which wouldn't really fit.

The Duck family which passes twice a day in front of your window are KL employees and I am glad to hear that they fulfill their duty! :-)

I have already looked into your complaint about the overgrown plants and we will take care about this in the following days - thank you for constructive comment.

We hope we can accommodate you again during your next visit in Kep and wish you safe travels.

Dan