“Nice but overpriced”
Review of Kep Lodge

Kep Lodge
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kep
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the mango room, which is above the restaurant, for four nights. The mango room is considerable cheaper than the rest of the rooms and I was glad we didn't pay anymore than we did. Although it is a very nice resort ( the bungalows looked very nice), I think it's overpriced for what you get. We have been staying is places with similar amenities for a more reasonable price (I'm saying this more from the perspective of the bungalows. Our cheap room $13/night which is the same as what we've been paying elsewhere in Cambodia).

Our room was clean and a decent size. They cleaned our room everyday but you have to ask for fresh towels. We had a shared bathroom which I am fine with. The only bad part was that there were a lot of people using the one bathroom and you often had to wait a while to use it. It is also noisy because you are above the kitchen and the generator runs in the night (could be a water pump by either way its noisy). They were also doing construction on the restaurant which was noisy but that should be finished soon.

The pool was very nice and relaxing. There were a lot of sunbeds and chairs to use. There were also fun kids toys to play with! The only bad part was the little biting bugs. They affect some people more than others and are usually just along the edge.

The food was good but slow to come out. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help.

My one really big negative about this place is the dogs. They often barked and growled at us which I hated. They also laid on the pool chairs and peed by the pool.

I know this review sounds pretty negative but maybe if you stay in the bungalows you would have a better experience. It really is a nice place and with a few adjustments it could be excellent!

• Stayed: April 2013
keplodge, Owner at Kep Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Hi Onelife 14 and Michael 11_10,

I reply to both of you since you were staying in the same room at the same time (normally TA doesn't allow this, but they might have changed their settings - as they do if they like).

Anyway, I am happy that you had a great time in our Mango room (the only one), which is our cheapest room (so I don't really get your wife's comment that we are overpriced?!). What we offer for $13 isn't available anywhere else, since we hardly make any profit from this room (it is mainly used to give somebody a room for the 1st night and then change to a bungalow).
We give you two full breakfasts (which I am sure you loved... ), a very nice room with 2 big windows, a sofa, a minibar, a fan, a desk and chair! Of course the shower can be busy sometimes with my staff, but that is only early morning, when our guests normally sleep.

On top of the breakfast we also have very strong 2MB Wi Fi, free bicycles, a fruit plate on arrival brought to your room and one of the nicest swimming pools in Kep! And you complain about that!
Yes, there are $13 rooms in Cambodia and some come even with a/c, but please look what they offer. There is normally no restaurant, no pool, much smaller rooms with not sofa/chair etc, no fruit plate and 100% no breakfast (which costs for 2 persons already $8) not to be forgotten our book exchange, the free bicycles and the proximity to the National Park, which makes the Kep Lodge very very quiet!

To your downsides (they were in both reviews the same, so I wonder why you had to write 2 reviews and not only 1 like the normal couples do - communication problems??).
The bugs in the pool are around in the hot season and we are trying to get rid of them as I write this - so it isn't such an easy thing, but please be assured that we are doing everything to get rid of them since they are really annoying.

Our dogs bark only when there is either a full moon (which was when you stayed with us - I tried to calm them down, but they wouldn't stop...). Otherwise they are very calm and normally sleep at night. That they pissed around the pool is something new to me and I will tell my staff to have a closer look at this misbehaviour of our dogs and to educate them.
But please, we are not a luxury lodge (specially not if you pay $13 like you did) - we are Boutique Hotel, with connection to nature and animals and most of our guests they love our dogs, since they are well looked after and behave really well. I know that my dogs enjoy sleeping on some deck chairs, but we are cleaning all the chairs every morning with soap and try to make our dogs understand that this is for the paying guests :-).

That you say that my drinks are the most expensive you came across could be, but only if you compare our drink prices to local places with no hygienic standards, no comfortable seating, no music and certainly no pool with a view to enjoy your drink with!

And this reply goes to 'Onelife14: I can assure you that pretty much ALL of my guests staying in a bungalow (and not in the $13 room) are more than satisfied with my place, with the rooms, the food, the pool, the dogs etc (just check the other reviews..). So maybe you should have payed a little bit more and I am convinced that you would have enjoyed your stay much more and maybe also found a way to write only 1 review!

I wish you have a nice continuation of your trip in lovely Cambodia.

Dan

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is one of the top places we stayed at during our South East Asia travel.
We stayed in the water mellon room with 4 (2 kids) really great room with a private terrace with couches and fan. As secluded as you can get, really private place, although next to the pool and really close to the main building for breakfast. The room is really clean, great big bed and a smaller queen for the kids. Mosquito nets installed, so you can leave the window open or you can switch the airco on.
The pool is close, nice and also great view.
You can also have dinner if you don't feel like going out, which we did one night.
The staff is friendly and helpfull especially the owner. He arranged a taxi from Vietnam to cross the border and take us to the lodge on our day of arrival.
Will stay here for sure and can really recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jeroenvK
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Its simply "WOW" in here, Dan the owner is truly a wonderful man, perfect place to unwind and relax, i didn't feel like stepping outta my Villa- Pineapple, having Hammocks is a big ++ certainly nothing can beat the hospitality of the staffs and the food. If you are in Kep and haven't stayed in here then i would say, you certainly haven't been to the real Kep.

Room Tip: Pineapple-if you are seeking for a room to be away from all.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'd like to preface this review by saying that my girlfriend and I were not actual guests here. However, we did ride here on our motorbike from our guesthouse in town to use the swimming pool and have drinks. This establishment has a rule that if you aren't a guest but would like to use the pool, you must pay $3 or spend at least $5 on drinks etc.(fair enough). So, my girlfriend and I got some drinks and some food totaling about $16 (way more than we had to spend). I also must comment that the swimming pool was not that impressive at all. We kept getting bit by all the insects there were in the pool. Long story short, we gather our things and go to the reception desk to pay. We noticed that we only had two $100 notes with us (why $100 or even $50 notes exist in this country is beyond me). Apologetically, I handed the money to the Cambodian staff member (I have zero complaints about the local staff by the way, they were warm and friendly as most Cambodians are) and of course she didn't have change and didn't know what to do so she advised the owner. Noticeably annoyed that we interrupted his swim, the owner comes to the front desk and starts talking down to me because I don't have smaller bills. I did not appreciate this treatment at all. The way I see it is, we spent way more of our hard earned money at his establishment than we had to and he was rude to us because we inconvenienced him with a $100 note. This is easily the worst guesthouse/restaurant experience I have had in SE Asia and I truly regret spending my money here. It makes me sick to my stomach that people come to his establishment, spend their hard earned money, hoping to have a nice time, but are met with rudeness, belligerence, and ignorance. Guests = your livelihood, sir.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank geegCork
keplodge, Owner at Kep Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Hello GeegCork,

I remember you and the tiny problem with the $100 bill. And of course I was NOT annoyed to be interrupted swimming - I try to treat my guests as kings - like they deserve it, as you mention correctly, they are our livelihood.
It was all a big misunderstanding. Of course I mentioned, smiling, that it is annoying that you have only such big notes, but that was meant to be a joke! I remember that we both laughed about it and that after paying the bill I thanked you and your gf for your visit and wished you a nice evening etc.
Further, it wasn't a problem for us at all since we got enough small cash at hand, so why should I react like that?. Anyway, I am really sorry when you got this false impression. Don't you think that I am totally aware of the power of TA nowadays and that when I would treat one of my guests just a tiny bit rude, that I would see a devastating review, like yours, in less than 24h?

Regrading the insects in the pool you mentioned. I was swimming too at this time and so were my 2 boys and I don't remember that anything has bitten us. (sorry when they bit you - I don't remember you or anybody else mentioning insects though!). But of course it is possible that there were insects in the pool, since the temperature of the pool is very hot now (almost like a bathtub:-)) and insects love that. However, we try our best and clean the pool several times during the day.

I should add that both, our in-house guests and outside visitors appreciate our infinity pool very much - the big shady space under the coconut trees, our kids pool and the great ocean view.

Kind regards,

Dan

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Very friendly place with lovely breakfasts & sumptious other meals, set in a jungle type garden with scattered bungalows looking out to sea. Everything superb, clean & safe. PC at reception Although Kep Beach is not much, the pool here made up for it in the charming relaxing area. It is just 20 mins walk to centre for all the Kep offers - mostly Crab eats. Tuk Tuk ride back at night. Bike provided. I did not stay long enough to do it all justice. All the staff were great & welcoming. I hope to stay longer next time.

Room Tip: Different bungalows had different prices but all looked superb
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Kep Lodge is terrific. We opted for the more expensive Bungalow (Kiwi) and were very happy with our choice and delighted by the uninterrupted, post-card-perfect views of the Gulf of Siam.The bungalow had a large bathroom, an excellent bed, air-conditioning and a decent sized fridge in the kitchenette area. Breakfast was included, and more than satisfying; all the food we had here was fresh and tasty. Pat runs the place with precision; staff are very pleasant (especially Miss Chanon and Mr To) who love practicing their English skills. Pool area is stunning; but it's a challenge to secure a spot; owing to day visitors monopolising this facility. We can't wait to return to Kep Lodge next year.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was only going to stay in Kep for 4 days but stayed 10 days because of this beautiful, friendly place. Gorgeous, clean and well furnished (very comfy beds with mosquito nets, aircon, fans, mini fridges, desk etc and great bathrooms) bungalows with verandahs, chairs and hammocks in lovely gardens is just the start of a memorable stay here. A great open plan, covered common/ chill out area with pool table, games, music, tv and plenty of seats and sofas just near the beautiful pool that overlooks the ocean and a lovely sunset makes the place. Bicycles are free to ride down the hill to all the fab crab huts and bars, can get a motorbike too if you want and the staff will drive you down if you prefer (or call a tuk tuk). Food is great in the restaurant, seriously some of the best pizza outside of Italy..try it you won't be disappointed, they do local food and international just as well (will also order up fresh crab and cook to order for a very reasonable price if you don't feel like going down the hill yourself). Happy hour is fun and social and the bar staff know how to make good cocktails, beer on tap as well. The staff and owners are very friendly but will leave you alone if you prefer. Close to some lovely walks around the area in the hills and Kampot is not far away. A great place to stay in Kep and great value, you won't regret this.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo