“Kep Lodge Gets it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kep Lodge
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Kep
“Kep Lodge Gets it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Some places just 'get' it .... How to make people feel comfortable and welcomed by genuine hospitality built on a genuine relationship, not a fake service smile. Just as there is a difference between a 'house' and a 'home', there is 'travel accommodation' and 'what Kep Lodge offers' ... The place and its people become the experience. We stayed there as two families (9 of us) from Australia and all our needs were met with enthusiasm and caring from a great team of staff. This is not beach front ... The lodge is set on the hillside about a 10 min bike ride out of the town. Each cottage has its own atmosphere and blends in to the National Park back drop. You'll make friends with Geckos and frogs and enjoy the on shore cooling ocean breeze in the evenings. The tropical pool setting with ocean views is a stunner. Can't wait to come back. Thanks to all the saff for making our stay so memorable. Chris, Annie, Steve, Cate and our families.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank CGT64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Yeap, avoidable. First of all, because of the treatment on behalf of the owners/managers; and second, due to the 9% price increase added to the bill without notice.
Whatever any guidebook says about the great views, nice swimming pool and bungalows is right; generally speaking, the place with its jungle-like atmosphere is very agreeable, although neither its location since it is quite far from everything nor the restaurant or the breakfast included for you had to pay extra for some juices, for instance. But every traveller would agree that not only technical features make a worthy travelling experience as far as accommodation is concerned, and much less when dealing with one of the so-called high range places. Some kind of contribution from staff and managers is also necessary.

Regarding staff, no complaints. They seem to be well trained to make up for the shortcomings of the managers. We stayed there for three nights and two long days during which both of them never had the time to approach us as they did with the rest of customers. Every night the owners came at night time for dinner or a drink, and had a chi-chat here and there with everyone but us. Perhaps the fact that we were two women travellers and not a honeymoon couple did not make us eligible for their attention. And that is precisely what the only words the male manager addressed us seem to imply: "bye girls." On her behalf, the woman had the extremely polite detail of dedicating some time and words to us exclusively to inform us that we had to pay the night before leaving. A very revealing fact; is perhaps only money what matters?
If this is the kind of treatment two customers like us can get at such high range hotel even when having been recommended by the manager of another Cambodian hotel, it is a place to be totally avoided.

Then the rude awakening stroke us; no, the price was not the sum of the nights we had stayed as in every other hotel in Cambodia or the rest of the world. There was an unexpected and never previously warned before 4% increase for service; excuse me? For service? Why is it not included already in the price? I'm still wondering. On top of that and as if that was not enough, there was also another 5% to be added for paying with credit card. Apparently, as they explained, customers are liable for the fact that managers had to spend money in oil for driving to the nearest bank in Kampot as well as pay to credit card companies. Very nice! We paid twice for the credit card, to our bank at home and theirs. Although it is true that there are a couple of small warnings on these charges in the bar, unless you approach the bar -something which rarely happens since customers mainly hang around the covered terrace - they are not sufficiently visible except for waiters.
Of course, I will not recommend this place to anyone travelling to Kep and I already told those who recommended the place to us to stop doing it. In fact, we met another couple of travellers whose experience at Kep lodge was neither positive; they had to ask constantly for basic things such as towels. Perhaps their stay in more affordable rooms made them equally less eligible to be treated nicely.
I am quite sure this complaint will be answered by the managers with one of their formulaic yet void replies; check the rest of negative posts!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Nat R
keplodge, Owner at Kep Lodge, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Nat R,

First of all, I am really sorry that you feel you have to judge the Kep Lodge with only 1 point and Yes, of course I will respond to your review to clarify things for future travelers (who might wonder why after so many very good and excellent reviews, we suddenly get such a bad one...).

Breakfast is always with one FREE juice of your choice. If you drink more than one, of course you have to pay for that. Besides that our included breakfast consists of eggs, bread and butter, tea or coffee and a mixed fruit salad. We don't have a buffet, like that you can enjoy breakfast even at 12 noon.

It is true that we, the owners, normally come back to our restaurant during dinner time and have dinner a chat with our guests. But it is only normal that with some guests there is a better connection than with others, however I try to talk to everyone, even if it is only a quick "How are you? How was your day? Please enjoy your dinner etc!" I feel terribly sorry if that wasn't enough and that you therefore had to 'Avoid us totally'.... But don't you think, that 2 women travelers would take more of my attention than a honeymoon couple, just naturally?
I normally try to have a personal word with all of my guests, but since even in the low season we are quite busy, it is impossible to do so with everyone. But what I don't understand is why this 'non-communicating from my side' is so important to you? And if it is so important to you, why didn't you approach me and have a quick friendly word?

When my wife politely asekd you, if you could pay the evening before you check out (she never 'told you to do so'), it was only because of the fact, that we drive to Kampot early morning to bring our son to school and we could take your Visa slip to the bank, because that takes a few days to clear. I am sorry if you have felt mistreated by her.

Regarding the 4% (not 5%) surcharge when paying with a credit card, I have to inform you that this is common practice in a mid range guest house in Cambodia. The bank charges us 2.5% and we add 1.5% for gas etc. There are other guest houses which charge even more. And if you read the other reviews, you will see that the Kep Lodge offers an excellent value for money. Of course when you stay in a hotel for 150$ or more, the bank charges are already included, but with our rates that is simply not possible. Furthermore it is clearly written at the bar and on our website that we charge 4% when paying with credit card (it is also clearly stated on our website and in the guide books) that Kep doesn't have an ATM). (Just for clarification. You don't have to pay your bank at home when paying with your credit card at a guest house or buying sth at a shop etc, you only pay - normally 4% - when you do a cash-advance at an ATM).

About the 5% service charge you mentioned, which we introduced since about 1 year, this money goes all to our staff. As you have noticed our staff work hard and all of them are really friendly and I think that they deserve this and that we don't overcharge our guests by doing so. (other hotels do charge 10% or even more).
Again, the 5% service charge is clearly stated on our website, on your booking-confirmation as well as on the food and drinks menu.

About treatment of our guests (complain by a fellow traveler). We don't make any differences if a guest stays in a 15$ room or in a 100$ deluxe villa and that they had to ask for towels at the pool that might have been possible but is that such a horrible thing? It can happen that our staff forget to fill up the towels and so a quick question and new towels are ready. I think that is something totally normal, don't you?

One word to my replies (they are never 'void' as you wrote - I guarantee you that). I take the TA reviews very seriously since it is a great tool for receiving feedback from our guests.
Whenever there is a serious complaint I take action to improve the situation so that all our future guests are happy and can 100% enjoy Kep and the Kep Lodge.
Best regards,
Dan
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We loved Kep and Kep lodge is in a wonderful location looking westwards over the bay with the jungle behind. The rooms were clean and well considered with a generous balcony or private outside area. The staff couldn't have been be more helpful and accommodating. The food was OK, maybe a little pricey for what it was. Although the pool wasn't the best, swimming at sunset made up for it.
We were surprised by the addition of a service charge to our overall bill ( very unusual during our 5 week trip to Cambodia) and hope that it all goes to the wonderful staff as they seemed to work incredibly long hours.

Room Tip: 'hire' scooters and take the short trip around the national park hill followed by crab lunch...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
South Ayrshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed in 'Jackfruit' bungalow. Two good size comfy beds with mozzy nets and fans. Perfect views from the veranda and situated on the side of the hill on the edge of a jungle. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The food was ok, nice restaurant/bar area with a good pool table and dart board available to. The pool was nice to sit around but doesn't look too inviting as looks a little dirty this is possible due to the colour of the water rather than being actually dirty as everywhere was kept really clean. I do agree with one of the other comments about mistreatment of the dogs tho'. There were several dogs roaming around - perfectly friendly but I did see staff kicking and being abusive to them. Sorry folks but if your going to have dogs around then learn to treat them better.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Secluded retreat on the edge of the jungle with breathtaking views and sunsets. Excellent staff and incredibly helpful. Bungalow was very clean and welcoming. Free DVD's for the quiet nights (which there are bound to be) but this is half the attraction.
Owner very personable and friendly which makes you feel very welcome.
Good value for money and swimming pool was clean with great views.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

This place is in a gorgeous location you feel right in the middle of the jungle with beautiful views over the ocean, just great for a sunset. The food is good if you fancy coming up for dinner over sunset I would recommend it. They have a great winelist but sadly only had about a 10th of it in stock.

There is a few reasons why I have rated this place only as average. First of all it is a little run down, the rooms could do with a bit of a re-vamp especially since your paying $32 for a fan room. The beds are very comfy though and the bungalow we were in had a nice veranda to sit on looking out to the ocean. The included breakfast is a little limited for choice. You do get juice, tea/coffee and fruit with all choices but the bread was stale and had dead flies in it which was a bit odd and off putting.

The pool area is nice, if your lucky to get some sun then it's a peaceful place to relax, the pool is salt water and it's not the cleanest but it is rainy season so it was as clean as it could be I would guess... and hope.

I think the main reason I've had to vote this place down as average is because of the way the staff treated the animals. They have a few dogs, all with lovely temperament, great if your an animal/dog lover or have children who love to have a play and a cuddle. Sadly I saw more than 3 members of staff forcefully kicking and hitting the dogs. I'm not talking a slap to the side here i'm talking full forced kicking to the ribs, and from I could see the dogs we're doing nothing wrong but maybe getting in their path (their dogs give them a break). Sitting having a drink while seeing this and having to listen to the dogs whine, whimper and cry in pain and fear was horrible and quite frankly disgusting, A few of the dogs we're limping and it may not have been from this abuse but that's the only thing you can take away from it and I will definitely not be returning to or recommending a place that treats animal this way. I was appalled and sadly this over shadowed all the good points.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
keplodge, Owner at Kep Lodge, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Dollyache,

Thank you for review and we are happy that you mainly had a great time.

Our Lodge is coming to its 5th year and we always get compliments about how well the bungalows and the rest are well kept. For 32$ you were staying in a Standard Twin bungalow with 2 queen size beds, hot water shower, minibar, 2 fans, private balcony with sea view and a free fruit plate on arrival.
We try our best to keep the standard and invest a lot in maintaining the Lodge. Your bungalow was a wooden bungalow, so of course the wood gets a bit old, but there is nothing we can do about that and most of the other guests were ok with that bungalow.
We are about to have a new wine supplier that is why we only have a limited choice of wines at the moment, but the new wine list is in printing and should arrive next week.
I am sorry about the dead flies on the bread - that is a total exception and normally all of our guests are quite satisfied with our included breakfast.
The water in the pool was a bit dirty, but that is because of the rainy season and now it is spotless and clean again.

Now to your (and 2 other reviewers) main complain about mistreating the animals (dogs).
It is true that we have quite a few dogs here, since I personally love dogs and we have the perfect place for a dog: big garden, a lot of guests to play with, walk around the mountain and my two children also like to play with them. So all my staff know exactly that I am a dog lover and they know that I don't allow to beat our dogs, not at all!
Of course myself and our staff has to educate the dogs eg not to sit on the sofa or not to go into the kitchen, but as far as I know they never hit the dogs or beat them, they just waive them away with their hands. That mistreatment must have happened when I was not around.
I feel to explain that Cambodian people don't treat dogs like we do. It is also very rare that you see Cambodians caressing a dog. For them, they are guard dogs and that's it. For us it is a man's /woman's best friend.
I have had a meeting with my staff and told them again, that I don't tolerate at all any mistreatment of our dogs.
Rest assured that I will do everything to stop that, since I totally agree with you that it is horrible to mistreat any animals and to hear dogs whine.
There is one dog limping a bit, Tiger, but that is because he had an operation of his hip 2 years ago and every now and then he is limping again.

I would like to invite you to stay with us again so you can see, that there is no more mistreatment of the Kep Lodge dogs.
Best regards,
Dan
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

So far I think it's the best on my opinion accomodation in Kep in this price category.
Stayed for one night here and was pleased almost with everything.
Staff is polite and helpful.
Possible for rent motorbike even for half day from reception for half price,the only problem - the motorbike is not automatic, it could be a problem for those who can not drive such kind of motorbikes.
The food for dinner is very good, also nice area of the restaurant where you can listen to nice music and play pool with staff.
But as for the food for breakfast I would recommend to improve it a little bit (the included breakfast not extras) with morning service - we've ordered an orange juice which we've never got.
Swimming pool is nice for swimming and relaxing especially in night time but at the time we've stayed there it wasn't really clean so I had to tell my frend that they have sea water.
The room is ok but the mosquito net is too short, if you move on the bed in night time you can get a lot of mosquitos under the net - it easily uncovers.
In previous review someone mentioned geckos pooping from the ceiling and I must say that mostly they have not geckos but huge kind of them - cambodian people call it Tukke or something like that.
The veranda for sitting and relaxing near the bungalow - is very spacious and nice.
I would come back some day, definitely

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends