“Overpriced for Cambodia but maybe normal for Kep?”
Review of Kimly Lodge

Kimly Lodge
Ranked #17 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Kep
“Overpriced for Cambodia but maybe normal for Kep?”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I am staying at Kimly lodge right now in an airconditioned guest house room (not a bungalow) for $20/night.

Pros:
- close to crab market and nightlife
- quiet area, peaceful
- good airconditioner

Cons:
- bugs found in bed...and sheets had marks
- minimal shower pressure
- poor WiFi in rooms
- pricey for what you get (imo) - no breakfast, no fridge / tv in room
- also general customer service is lacking - when checking in, the girl acted like I was a nuisance.

Kimly should either reduce the room rate or dial it up a notch in regards to cleanliness and facilities.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank jayyvee

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Sreymao is a wonderful girl manage that lodge. She think she can get everything with her charming face but she get wrong. I agree with her about price of the room one month before but when i check in she used her "weapon smile" to change our agreement and get up the price. Everywhere in the world price is "per room" but sometime can be also "per person". You know what? She create new way to prizing for me: the price PER BED! So if you ask single room for single occupancy but the room is furnished with 3 beds you shoud pay for 3... Unbelievable! She sould not forget that to be honest is a priority for a good host and this is more important than offer good rooms into good location. By the side location is very good, price of restaurant is very high but good quality food (one more cheat: the lovely manager will not advice you the food comes from her restaurant on the village, 2 km far from the hotel, so you'll wait your dinner more than 1 hour). I suggest avoid that place. There is so many places with same price but more service mind!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrLik
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights and really enjoyed it. We stayed in the first bungalow and the bed was so comfortable I didn't want to leave! (Best bed I've slept in in Cambodia, including my own!)

The rooms were clean and the staff very helpful; the only problem came when we first arrived and the previous guests didn't check out when they were supposed to and the staff didn't do anything about it.

The food was awful, except for breakfast, which was quite nice. The difference is they make breakfast in their own kitchen, whereas other meals are ordered in from their crab market restaurant.

On the other hand, their location makes it easy to go out for better meal experiences. They are a 3-minute walk from the Sailing Club, and short tuktuk rides from both Kep Lodge and Veranda, which have good food and pool access.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JuliBee18
Thailand
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Kep, Cambodia-Kimly Lodge
www.kimlylodge.com
Email: kimly.lodge@gmail.com
Info: 012 721 200/097 70 4444 9
Individual bungalows at around $40.00 and two story guesthouse where rooms are $25.00. My guesthouse room on the second floor (Quieter) has a soft double bed, nicely placed quiet air-conditioner, en suite bathroom, hot water shower, toiletries and a small bamboo stand with shelves. Oh, and free wi-fi that worked fine at the restaurant. Didn't attempt it in my room-no desk, no [place to sit but bed. That's it. No TV or mini-fridge which I prefer. It's fine for your few days here. Luckily for me they had one room left as I walked in on a Monday thinking the weekend traffic was gone. Whoops, it's Chinese New Year. Many stayed both Monday and Tuesday but by Wednesday empty beach scene.
At other times if you like crowds come on the weekend. Otherwise I “hear” weekdays are nice and free of noise/traffic. Kimly Lodge has all the services. Of course! Restaurant, bar and separate restaurant with cheaper prices at the crab market, a 15” walk from the lodge. IF you want to pay by credit card they charge an extra FIVE PERCENT! No banks in Kep. Get your money before you visit.
Kep is spread out friends. Probably it is best to rent a bicycle or motorbike to e x p l o r e. Many places have the bicycles. If I may, recommend a motorcycle rental place; the friendly folks at toucan restaurant and bar, right smack in the middle of the crab market. They have 7 or 8 new automatic motorcycles at 7-8 dollars. I have an email soki_toucan@yahoo.com if you'd like to reserve in advance. I got the last one available when I was there. Or Tel: +855 (0)97 8531057. “Other” people rent less-new motorbikes and “SC” rents them at $12.00 each and $5.00 for a bicycle. Not sure Trip Advisor lets me mention the names or initials.

Room Tip: ASK 4 a quiet room upstairs in the GH. Bungalows s/b no problem.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank salemnobody
Sydney
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We booked our bungalow at Kimly Lodge well in advance without having to pay up front, and when we arrived everything proceeded smoothly. Our bungalow, set in beautiful gardens, was clean, spacious and comfortable, and everything functioned well. The only quibble I have is that the architect/designer has followed an unfortunate trend of recent times, and that is the open-plan bedroom/ensuite bathroom arrangement. The riverstone & mortar walls of the bathroom were very attractive, but stopped short of the ceiling by a metre or so. Great for ventilation, of course, but considering that the bathroom is 2-3 metres max from anywhere in the bedroom, any activity in there far from private.

The place is variously described as being “3 minutes from the Crab Market” or “a stone’s throw from the Crab Market” and the address is given as "The Crab Market". Slight exaggerations - more like a 10-15 minute stroll – not too arduous if you’re in holiday mode.

The bar/restaurant of the Lodge is a pleasant place to relax, and the food and drinks are good and reasonably-priced. The staff are friendly and willing to please.

We were hanging out for a bit of beach. Since Kep doesn’t offer much in that department, we took a bargain trip out to Rabbit Island ($7 a head inc tuktuk pickup at the Lodge, shared boat and return tuktuk). We didn’t explore the island, but just loafed about on the beach, in the water and in the restaurant which served up a pretty good lunch. The water’s a bit murky so not great for snorkelling, but it was altogether a worthwhile excursion, we felt.

Up to the day we left Kimly, things were pretty idyllic. Sometimes, though, things don’t go quite as smoothly as you might like. On our last day, we had a little drama due to communication difficulties. The only staff on duty seemed to have forgotten their English overnight (and we don’t have any Khmer). Our bus tickets to Phnom Penh which we we’d booked the day before with the manager hadn’t been confirmed by her as promised and when we asked about them, the duty staff thought we were trying to book tickets with them. After a bit of frustration (no foot-stamping), our tickets were finally located stapled to our room bill. Who'd have thought? Having been told the previous day that we’d be able to pay our bill with a credit card, it then eventuated that only the manager could handle that, but she wouldn’t be back at Kimly until an hour after our bus was due to pick us up. Fortunately, we were able to scrape together just enough cash to settle up (after a few revisions to the bill).

To add to the excitement, my flipflops had disappeared from outside the dining area a couple of hours earlier (we’d got into the local habit of discarding our shoes when entering a room). I alerted the restaurant/desk staff at the time, and very obviously went hunting around the place for them myself since they were my only footwear. Nowhere to be found. With our bus due in a few minutes, I gave up, gathered our luggage and started barefoot out the gate & up the stony road to the bus stop. I hadn’t got far before one of the cleaning staff caught up with us and presented me with my flipflops, freshly scrubbed. I don’t think this had anything to do with thoughtfulness or customer service, or dishonesty for that matter. The word “dimwitted” comes to mind, though perhaps that’s a bit harsh.

Despite our little problems, I am very happy to recommend Kimly Lodge as a lovely place to stay and Kep itself as a quiet, pleasant, undeveloped, sprawling little town with enough to see and do to warrant a few days. Our only regret was that we didn’t allow ourselves enough time to trek through the local National Park which sounded interesting.

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Furlquists
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Very close to Sailing Club and set in lovely gardens. The bungalow was spacious open plan (incl bathroom). Good breakfast (at extra cost) and helpful staff. Downsides: no fridge (or TV) in rooms, breakfast could be included for the cost.

Room Tip: Bungalows have lots of character
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SimonChinn
Oslo
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Nice bungalow in a beautiful garden. It is in walking distance fram both Crab Market and Kep beach, but still quiet and peaceful. The service is good and the staff is very helpfull. I payed 18 dollars a night, and it was really wort every penny.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo