“Noisy and shouldn't be open during construction!!”

Kep Seaside Guesthouse
Ranked #37 of 52 Kep B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We arrived at Kep seaside after a 2 km walk from the bus stop in central Kep, by this point we were very hot and didn't really want to search for another guest house. On checking in we were advised that the room would be a little noisy as they would be doing some renovations ok no problem! For $7 that seemed ok.... Not worth it AT ALL! The noise was awful, it started at 6.45am and went through to 6pm at night. It really was like a construction site and if you wanted any peace you just had to leave for the entire day!!!

On our first day there they also had to turn the water off in our room, without pre-warning us!! They said they didn't have another double room for us.... Which I do not believe was true and that we had to use a bathroom in another room!! We were offered no money back for this or any discount seen as our room had now turned into a non ensuit.

Lastly the restaurant there was terrible. I am a big fan of noodle soups and ordered it one night to be given a packet soup with the seasoning still on the side for me to add!! They never had bread or baguettes even for breakfast. In our 4 months backpacking Asia this has been by far our worst room... and believe me we've stayed in some cheap rooms!! Not recommended at all!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Angillie

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed here a few days last year. Basic room, but tired room, but fine for the price (6$ I think with nothing included). Anyway, it wasn't really the room, but the view of the water, the nice area by the water, the restaurant and the hammocks.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I tried calling several times. I was quoted 7$ up a couple of weeks ago to some high price I can't recall, with no mention of construction of course. I then called a few days before showing up, but never got an answer. Went anyway, but the place is under serious renovation. They did manage to leave a few rooms which they rent at the usual rate, despite the intense (and I mean intense) construction noise. Someone is drilling over your head, talking in your window, basically, it's like sleeping IN a construction site rather than near one. In their defence, they do have a much more expensive other building, but it located next to two major construction sites (this one and a new building for the sailing club look at the pictures, basically massive construction will be going on for a while).

Anyway, arrived too late to go back to Kampot and didn't feel like hotel searching in Kep so I agreed for one night. The receptionist then offered me a room with a better breeze and wifi on an upper floor (even though all rooms technically have wifi, he explained that my current one did not). I thanked him and accepted, but was then informed that it was 3$ more. When I asked why, he explained that there were 2 beds which I would of course not need. I found this insulting and cheap as that part of the hotel was clearly empty, I had no prior warning as to the construction even though I did try to contact them several times, and it was obvious that no one would rent that room (and no one did). Talk about great customer service!

Anyhow, I informed them that for obvious reasons I would stay only one night and bought a bus ticket to Kampot in advance. Had nice food at crab market. Went back to the hotel later in the evening. Removed the disgusting towel-like blanket as I could not sleep with that over myself, and then pulled out the drape (big mistake) thinking/hoping/praying that there would be another one beneath it. Sadly, all I saw were pools of urine and other stains I did not bother to examine. Pulled back the drape, closed my eyes and hoped for the best.

Was awakened at 6:54 by the sound of heavy drilling and electric saws, but that was to be expected. Ordered breakfast (very sad, but at least their ice coffee was good and the waiter at the restaurant was very friendly).

Want back to shower with cold water, feeling like 8 people were in the room with me, brought my bag to the reception and was told to wait in he restaurant where I would be warned when the bus came (at about 11, but it is often (if not always) late as is the case with Cambodian buses). Listened to more construction for several hours but did enjoy the view of Kep. Also spoke with people from the other Kep Seaside building who were also annoyed by all the construction noises all over the place. Then I waited some more....

Then, at 12:30, with the feeling something was wrong even by Cambodian bus time standards. I went back to the reception where the receptionist casually told me 'your bus gone, no call, next one at 2'. No apologies, explanation or any sense of caring. When I spoke with him at about 11, he was lying on a bench half asleep so I just assume that he just fell asleep and I missed my bus as a result. Irritated by this, but mainly by his absolute lack of caring, I demanded a refund for the bus. He briefly thought about denying saying that this was the only was, but when I told him that I would take my chances and walk all the way to Kampot rather than deal with him again he consented, giving me an unpleasant look.

I am sorry that the place had turned out like that and that the service is so terrible. This was one of the last decent and affordable places with a nice view in recent years, but those days are about to be long gone,although it will be a long time before they finish construction, both at KEp Seaside and at the building next door.

Basically, unless you're a construction working missing the sweet sounds of construction while on vacation, stay somewhere else. Kimly's (or something similar) next door has fantastic rooms starting at about 20$ (less than the price of kep seaside's new rooms, but far better looking, smaller and with far friendlier staff). The girl showed me around and was super pleasant even though they were full. I am willing to take bets that this does not happen at KEp Seaside.

In two simple words: NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: Visit the room before committing or paying or you may be sorry. This is turning into a luxury resort...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank gohabsgo2028
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My room at Seaside Guesthouse was very basic and not overly aesthetically pleasing, but functional. There are some major renovations occurring on one of the buildings so there may be some nicer rooms available in the future. The location is beautiful though, and I thoroughly enjoyed lazing in their hammocks by the water watching the sunset. As mentioned by previous reviewers, the guesthouse is particularly close to the crab market restaurants so there is no shortage of food options. It is also possible to walk to the main town along the water's edge if you feel inclined but when tuk-tuks are so cheap it's just as easy to get a ride.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Location is excellent and means you don't have to pay for a tuk tuk to the crab Market. The place was almost empty when we arrived at start of October. Meant it felt a bit souless. The staff seemed lazy both in the restaurant and reception. Our door was a bit cracked in the room which meant it was sticky to open. We only had breakfast once in the restaurant and it seemed that you could only get wifi outside of the rooms. Great view of the sea and cheap option to stay close to the crab Market.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katievic
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I tried to book a room with this hotel by emailing the address on their "website" 30 hours before, sending sms to 3 of their 5 mobile numbers, calling 2 of their numbers (phone was switched off on both), but I gave up and booked another hotel ... in Kampot !!!

I think some people need to get the simplest, most basic customer service functions operating, before they start advertising on websites.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Fogarski
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have been there several years ago. Location is great, front of the sea. They provide boat to Koh Tonsay (Rabbit Island). The staff wasn't very friendly: they seems to be bored and lazy. Nearby there is fish market where you can join wonderful dinner.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank MrLik
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The location is great- 3 min walk to the crab market for amazing crab feasts- 2 mins to the sailing club for the best sunset happy hour drinks. Tuk tuk from the bus stop is $1.00. The guesthouse is okay. We stayed in a $10 room looking out to the ocean. The beds were clean and comfy. There was a bit of an ant invasion coming from the belcony (belcony very big). The bathroom was something less to be desired (dirty, mouldy, smelly, but cheap room right?). Cold water shower, but it was fine. Fan in room was good at cooling it down at night. We also did a rabbit island tour through them for $7.00 each. Breakfast was okay, $5.00 approx for 2 people. WIFI strength is awsome. Reception really nice and friendly. I do recommend this place for people on a budget, and only for a few nights. Cheers.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple