“Peaceful bungalows, lovely garden, divine pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Raingsey Bungalow

Raingsey Bungalow
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Kep
“Peaceful bungalows, lovely garden, divine pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is a great place to stay in Kep. It is an easy walk to the fantastic crab market. The bungalows are so comfortable and stylish, the pool is a godsend, the breakfast is fantastic. The breakfast room is an open air area on the 2nd floor so you have great views of the surrounding area. The workers are all really friendly and sweet. They carried our bags, called us a taxi without hanging around waiting for a tip. The breakfast is fresh fruit, fresh juice, and a made to order egg choice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hasselt, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in November 2011. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool area well maintained and clean. The garden seemed to be recently constructed since many of the plants were not fully grown yet. They also have list of optional (expensive) activities

The only negative comment I have was the air-conditioning. The problem was that the airco-unit is installed in the bathroom and a small wall was "trapping" the cold air in the bathroom. A waste of energy. (I'm uploading pictures as well)
To be honest. I'm not used to a warm climate. So a warm night effects me more than other people .

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Kigali
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Had a wonderful stay here last year. Amazing pool, extremely comfortable rooms, good restaurant and a stunning view. Great little place to stay in Kep for amazing value.
It's a short walk down to the sea and to restaurants where you can sample some of the famous crab. Great place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Phnom Penh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

Stayed here because our hotel was overbooked. The room was good although the toilet did not provide for much privacy with a rattan style curtain..Yikes!! The shower was lacking in pressure and the floor boards were being eaten by termites. The amenities were good and the food in the restaurant was quite acceptable. Weather was a little cool so we did not try the pool out. I think that once the vegetation has had a chance to grow, the grounds will look a lot more inviting and attractive. Overall, I think that there are better options but there are also a lot worse. Stay there again? Probably not....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

We did not book in advance, but we were lucky to have a Bungalow with twin bed.
I really adore this place, quiet and peaceful in a lush environment. The whole area is very well kept with lawns and flowers.
The Bungalows are quite stylish, made of wood and every one has a small veranda. The pool area with sun beds and umbrellas is a nice place to relax after a morning exploring Kep and the neighbourhood. The breakfast is not included so I say 40 USD for the Bungalow is a little pricey. In a small peaceful place like this its very annoying when a family with three ill-bred children takes over the place. But I can’t blame the hotel for this.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

Three words for Raingsey Bungalows in Kep – Don’t Do It! I have been traveling for 6 months – solo as a 65 year old woman – and was looking for a place to just relax for a few days. Although the place looks attractive (nice pool) there are many catch-22s. First, they only accept cash payment and the nearest ATM in Kampot is an hour away. They do include a meagre breakfast but if you want to have a meal there instead of going out to Crab Market or another restaurant, they order it from outside, have it delivered, and hike up the cost to double what it should be.

Since there is nothing in the room except a bed and desk you must pay handsomely for every single cold drink. I had trouble getting the Internet to work inside the bungalow when I first arrived and instead of trying to help me figure out the problem they were very defensive about it. I finally figured out the desk just needed to be moved to a different side of the room. The owner / manager lives in Phnom Penh and rules from afar via e-mail and if there is any kind of problem everyone is on their cell phones to him. When I found out I could not pay by debit card I contacted him and then I guess he directed others to – beat the money out of me one way or another. Obviously they thought I was out to cheat them – really creepy!

They are just OK service wise as long as there is no problem and no questions are asked but the minute you have a question the bad vibes begin. Think they don’t know what to do with westerners. I’ve been traveling through many countries since July and this was the first place I had such bad vibes.

During my stay I developed a Visa fraud issue with my debit card – really scary – and wasn’t sure I could get the cash to pay the bill and wondered if I could use another credit card instead (stored in luggage back at a hotel in Phnom Penh). Either they didn’t understand me or they didn’t want to be bothered. A “muscle man” turned up at my door saying it was simple either I pay the bill or he called the police. One of the Cambodians girls drove me to the fancy Veranda Hotel where they had an agreement and took my debit card – charged a 5% fee of course. I never got the cash but they said it would be delivered to Raingsey this evening – LETT ME OUT OF HERE!

I recommend thinking twice before booking this place!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank 2016msm
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

On the surface, this looks like a great place to stay - but that promise of 'great' was never fulfilled. Instead there was a catalogue of problems and errors:

- We emailed ahead to book, but the Manager who checks the emails (in Phnom Penh) doesn't seem to communicate these to the staff in Kep. So no booking when we arrived.

- They tried to offer us the family suite for $65 (we had booked a $40 double bungalow) as all double bungalows were fully booked. They didn't seem to understand that this was there proble, not ours.

- The materials used to build the bungalows is clearly cheap and poor quality - the floorboards were cracking (not great for our toddler), the shower floor had totally cracked, the sliding doors regularly got stuck, the room generally looked like it was on the verge of falling apart (even though the bungalows are reasonably new).

- Staff were friendly enough, but fairly incompetent on the whole: not cleaning up after guests, getting our food order wrong, giving out incorrect local information, not cleaning the pool before we went for a swim (we then had to wait 20mins while they cleaned - doesn't work for toddlers I'm afraid)

- They even tried to book a bus for us that didn't exist and if it hadn't have been for our helpful Tuk Tuk driver we would have missed the last bus back to Phnom Penh and been forced to stay another night (which we would have done somewhere else).

There are a lot of great places to stay in Kep. This isn't one of them - give it a miss.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
blackduck8, Manager at Raingsey Bungalow, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Dear customer Vannman,

I started to read carefully and seriously your mail until you mention that "the room generally looked like it was on the verge of falling apart". I do not understand why your criticism is so strong and negative about the bungalows which are all made of quality materials (wooden floor, tiled roof, isolated walls to keep the bungalow cool ).
You mention that the "floorboards were cracking", I do not understand what you mean? Floorboards are made out of wood, it may happen that we have some space between the wooden slats but that is normal since wood grows and shrinks with humidity.
You write that the sliding doors regularly got stuck, which is normal since the doors are made of wood. With a tropical climate, it is not unusual that the wood has warped specially this rainy season with an abnormal amount of water.

Regarding our staff, I am glad that you find our staff friendly. I know that sometimes they are not as professional as expected, but please understand that it is very difficult to find skilled Cambodian waiters or cleaners in the area of Kep and then it takes time to have them well trained and to teach them English. Soon there will be a hospitality school in Kep and that will be a big relieve for all the guest house owners in Kep.

We further will have a closer look at the problem with your reservation, since that is a major issue and let us assure you, that this won't happen again.

Even if your review seems a bit harsh, it helps us to stay watchful and better understand our customers' needs.

The manager