“Great views, helpful staff (once prodded into action!)”
Review of The Beach House

The Beach House
Ranked #3 of 52 Kep B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Very very clean rooms, great sea and sunset views from the first (ie top) floor rooms, good aircon and fans, nice walks behind the hotel (drop in on the monastery up behind the community hall - the monks are dead keen to practise their English and very welcoming), and very close to the beach. As others have said, if you are a beach fanatic you'll be a bit disappointed but it was ok for us. Don't miss the monkeys along the path round to the south - they love peanuts and are cute! Wifi was hit and miss except in reception area. we were there in mid-jan and Kep was pretty empty - just what we wanted.

Room Tip: Best views from 1st floor, and furthest from reception. Beware : steps everywhere!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 25, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for two nights in January 2012 after travelling from Sihanoukville.

Good:
- Location. This hotel is directly opposite the beach and the balconies have a lovely view of the beach and sunset. You can even hear the waves at night. Request a room on the top floor for the best views.
- Food. I ate some food here and for the most part it was quite good, though more expensive than other parts of Cambodia. This seems to be true for the whole of Kep, prices are double what you would pay in Sihanoukville, even the Crab Market area was similar prices.
- Rooms. I was happy with my room. Hard beds, the norm for Asia. Clean. Fan and air con worked well.
- Pool is nice, but is small. I enjoyed lounging reading a book and having a dip to cool off.
- Kep National Park is directly behind the hotel and there is a lovely jungle hike that you can do that goes over some of the hills with some fantastic viewpoints i.e. Sunset Rock. The trail is well signed. Be prepared to sweat though as the humidity levels are high when under the canopy.

Not so good:
- Beach is disappointing in Kep. If you have already been to Sihanoukville then you won't be so impressed with this beach. The beach is also VERY dirty, or at least it was when I stayed over the Chinese New Year period.
- Very busy time of year. I came to Cambodia to escape TET (Chinese New Year) in Vietnam because I thought it is not celebrated to the same degree here, though that isn't quite correct. Kep was super busy with Cambodian families coming for day trips over the period.
- WiFi is not available in the rooms despite some advertising that says it is. I was lucky and was able to sometimes pick it up in my room because my room was closer the pool/reception area.
- Kep is a lot more expensive for food and transport than other parts of Cambodia.
- It looks like boardwalks are currently being constructed between the giant crab and the Rabbit Island pier, however when I visited this wasn't a pleasant area to walk around.
- The staff weren't particularly attentive i.e. finished plates were left in the restaurant area for hours, pool towels were left well into the night etc. This could have been because it was the Chinese New Year holiday period though.

Would I stay again, absolutely. However since we chose this place for it's proximity to the beach, then were disappointed by the beach I would probably choose somewhere else. I now understand why the accommodation is very spread out in Kep and would most likely choose a place that is up the hill with a view. I would base my choice on the amenities the hotel/resort has over a beachside location.

I enjoyed my time in Kep for the most part, but probably wouldn't come back or recommend it as a must see place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor as these have a better view, the ground floor rooms have plants bloc...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bobby B
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Kep is the most laid-back place in Cambodia, possibly in Asia, and Beach House is the perfect base. It is overlooking the sea and close to the fab crab houses, where you MUST eat - while the specialities are of course fresh crab straight out of the sea, most of them have a wide range of other Cambodian dishes. Back to the hotel - it is a small family hotel with about 16 - 20 rooms - all have wonderful sea views. The food is excellent - don't be afraid to try their specials, we were pleasantly surprised. Plus they do REAL chips if you fancy western dishes. THe staff are quirky, helpful and nice. Breakfast is good - try the pancakes. Threre is a small but perfectly adequate pool on the terrace and it is clean and well mantained. They also have wifi and a pool table on the terrace. The rooms are basic but very comfortable with AC and TV (very limited choice). Basically just bring a good book and your swimsuit and RELAX.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the top level
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed six nights at the beach House and we could have stayed longer. The hotel has arguably the best location in Kep. it is a 15 minute walk to the Crab market and there is a lovely beach at your doorstep. The Beach House is at the foot of Kep Mountain and an 8 km trail around the mountain is right at the back of the hotel (we would rate it as an easy hike). We enjoyed the ambience of the hotel with it's pool and adjoining bar and restaurant. The management and staff were great people and they were most accommodating in meeting our needs. We found the breakfasts on the expensive side but there are less expensive choices in the village. The room was exceptionally clean and a good size. We had a look at other accommodation in the area and we feel that Beach House was the best place to stay in Kep.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Despite some negative thingsd on tyhis site about this place we were really happy here. The staff were funny and quite switched on, and the views were lovely. We liked it so much we are returning with parents in June to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Not far from the beach and does very good breakfasts. The only problem is for those none too good on their feet as there are about a dozen steps to the reception. We only ate there but most of our party stayed 3 nights and found the rooms good.

My rating relates to the breakfast but I understood from the others that the rooms were good.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The rooms here are probably US$10 per night more than they should be, especially since breakfast isn't included. The rooms are comfortable and have a nice ocean view. The pool is quite small and we didn't use it. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple