“Very disappointing service”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Kep
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Very disappointing service”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I planed a trip with my partner after New Year to Kep, and finally my choice end at Vanna Hill since I had pets with me. When Agoda sent me the confirmation for my booking, I called to hotel to meke sure about my pets. They said "No Problem". When I arrived on the date, I find out there was no booking on my name, and the resort was fully booked. Te receptionist ask the manager's help, to resolve the problem. When she arrived, looked at my booking, and she said, all she can do is to refund my money and let me to find another place to stay. She didn't even bothered herself to offer us a chair to rest or a glass of water until she left for like 20 minutes to check my booking, their mess.After her respond, of course I refused her comfortable offer for her side, since I was with pets, last minute reservation, in high season!!?? 0% chance to find something. Then she told me, anyway, in our resort PETS NOT ALLOWED.i told her to check her site on Agoda to update her knowlege about her own workplace. After 10 minutes a guy came out of nowhere with his dog... Anyway, I had no power to argue, i asked her to find us a place for a night, she find us at BOTANICA guest house, a lovely place to stay, I recommend it to anyone who likes garden and quiet place,nice swimmingpool ... We finally moved there and the manager told us that of course they will pay for the room. Yes, but my booking was with breakfast included, and she didn't even bothered to offer full refund for that night. I left without any comment. Next day, we went back to the resort, we stayed 2 more nights and 3 days. During my stay, I never met once again the manager, and also the staff was very unfriendly. I will never go back there, and I will definitely won't recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
VannaHillResort, Propriétaire at Vanna Hill Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Andrea,

We are sincerely sorry for the mishap you experienced during your visit to Vanna Hill Resort.
When you came we were in the award with the former owner of the Business and despite our vigilance we struggled to recover all booking during this period, which in the entrainner situatioin in which you are located.
This does not excuse constitutional but an explanation.
Finally, we spend a lot of time during this period to take care of purchases for the hotel in order to improve this explains our absence during your stay.
We may contact you to explain everything if you wish and we apologize for the inconvenience of serious way.
Thank you for your comment and hope to see you despite your experience.
Yours

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rochester, NY
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I spent a night here, January 2013. The view from the restaurant and poolside of the Gulf of Thailand in one direction and the jungle in the other is reason enough to stay here. The pool is fantastic, huge, sparkling clean and refreshing. The resort is very quiet, a welcome respite from the city. Easy walk to the Crab Market, a bit further to Kep beach but walkable.

I had a a/c room, but didn't need the a/c as the evening breeze was lovely. Bed was comfortable and room was large. Bathroom is basic and nothing fancy but fine. I had a nice dinner in the restaurant, free breakfast was just okay.

Staff pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank amymeri
VannaHillResort, Propriétaire at Vanna Hill Resort, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Customer, teams Vanna Hill Resort, thank you for your comment and hope to see you soon in our establishment.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was travelling around Asia for a week. I heard Kep was a nice place to visit in Cambodia so I decided to give it a try. I booked two nights at this place and absolutely loved it. The view is amazing, the swimming pool is really big and the area is really quiet. If you need some rest this is the place to go.

I can see that the other negative reviews didn't really get the point. The place is cheap and offer good quality, as stated this is a 3 stars hotel so don't expect to have a limo picking you up and being served in Golden plates.
The staff are really friendly and so are the owners. Food is awesome too, you should try the chef's specialty Amoc Fish, awesome.
Overall I really had a great time there, would definitely go back there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank plutark
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am so surprised by the previous two comments, it seems hard to believe we're talking about the same place! It must come down to taste in the end, and I have to say this place suited me down to the ground. True, it's not the flashest of hotels, but as the owner says, they are not trying to be 5 star, and nor do they advertise themselves to be so. It's homely, comfy, clean and it has the added bonus of having the most spectacular scenery from all angles. My partner and I both loved the breakfasts, a good mix of Asian and European. Lovely freshly baked bread that was still warm from the oven, and wonderfully cooked eggs made right before your eyes. It was anguish to decide where to watch the glorious sunsets from - our balcony overlooking the ocean, or from the magnificent swimming pool? The staff were charming and so too were the French owners, who were always happy to engage in conversation. They also demonstrated a passion towards this place, which they only recently took over, and towards Kep itself. True, the showers weren't the best, but it was hard throughout our trip in Cambodia to get one that was truly efficient in one way or another.

Behind the hotel it is only a short walk to the National Park on top of the hill. We were lucky to spot the endangered Hornbill bird on our walk, so if you do visit, do make the effort to go to check it out.

Room Tip: The higher up the better to appreciate those glorious sunsets.
2 Thank Kaz M
Paris, France
Reviewed January 17, 2013

As in previous reviews, the room that you book does not look anything like the rooms advertised on their website in most cases. A carefull look at the website reveals that it is actually the same room photographed, taken from different angles and advertised as different categories.
Our room was very dark with an ugly decoration. The bathroom was unfinished (no light shade, unpainted areas) and seemed dirty as the taps were full of limescale, which was never cleaned.
The fridge did not work.
Rooms have very different prices, and it is not clear where this difference stems from as they all seem pretty similar.
This is far from a 'boutique resort', the design is poor and rather ugly and the lack of care given to the amenities does not help.
The management is quite poor, papers and cans are left lying around for days, the staff is not very professional, despite the owners being around all day, there is little sense of management.
The pool water was murky, so we did not swim. The showers by the pool did not work.
The hotel has a wonderful view (probably the best in Kep) and it is a pity to see such a missed opportunity. It is not so much about the money invested (we understand this is a new venture for the young owners) but about the care given and effort invested in creating a 'boutique' experience, as they advertise it.

Room Tip: We visited a number of resorts around, all along the same street, and would rather recommend these...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear customer, the team of Vanna Hill Resort thank you for your opinion.
However, we regret that your stay is not running as you want.
We work HARD to satisfy our customers and hope that in a next trip with us you can be completely satisfied with your experience.
Portland Dorset
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We booked a junior suite and to find on our arrival that it was just a deluxe room. They were insistent that it was a suite. The room was tastefully decorated but not private as people had to walk past you door which was totally glass so if you where in bed you had to have the curtains drawn. There was no hot water. The bathroom flooded every time you had a shower. No toilet roll holder and the towels you could see through and were grey. They fridge did not work guess that's why it was unplugged.. The views from the room was very good. For $80 per night it was very expensive the gentleman next door to us payed $30. So we're definitely put in the wrong room.. We spoke to the owner and he said that it was the correct room.
The gardens we very pretty shame about the dogs muck all up the steps to the pool.
The toilets by the pool were alive with Mosquitos. And one toilet was smashed up.
The breakfast was the worst I have ever had not much fruit selection of jackfruit and pineapple . My husband did have eggs and bacon though .Owners were at breakfast but did not give the staff any
guidance at all just glued to their computers. I think the staff do their best but are let down by management.
The place has once been very good but now has gone down hill.
Such a shame as the surroundings are beautiful.

Room Tip: Booked the cheapest room as you will get just as good one at the more expensive.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
VannaHillResort, Gérant at Vanna Hill Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Helen,
We are both surprised and sorry when your experience in our establishment.
We try to do everything possible for the comfort of our customers, but it seems that was not enough.
The standards of our 3 star hotel do not meet standards that you expect, but we find your comment somewhat exaggerated. You were in one of the most beautiful room of the establishment, we know that the taste of chacuns are different, but when you arrive you have the possibility to check the room and ask to change, if you find it so horrible this would have allowed you to find a room in other establishment that you made for a more pleasant stay as you describe.
We hope to return to the window of the room that was assigned to you, this room is one of the brightest and the hotel has large openings allowing you comtemplates sea view, again the tastes of chacuns are different.
about the name on for the rooms as we tried to explain to you upon arrival architect who created these bungalows has come in two parts, one bedroom bathroom and a lounge on terrace . This name must be heard as originally envisioned. Perhaps we should revise the title but anyway this bungalow is well done with a bedroom and a lounge area (outside of).
you talk about the breakfast, you look very poor. We can not let you say this, it is up fresh croissants, pain au chocolate, fried rice, fried noodles, yoghurt, cereal, coffee, tea, orange juice, apple juice , bacon, eggs, bread, pancakes, honey, butter, fresh fruit, jam, bean. We do not understand what you were expecting more.
Finally, once you arrived you start to complain, we have let the opportunity to leave the hotel without charge and yet you decide to stay two nights in our establishment, we definitely do not understand it because you have extended your stay in such bad conditions ...
We repeat, we are not a hotel 4-5 stars we are a 3 stars guest house, focusing on the close relationships with our customers, our comfortable rooms, good value for money and quality of our food.
We believe that you are wrong and establishment of price range for the services you would like the budget to be rather cambodia 150-200 per night.
we are still sorry for your experience.
The Vanna Hill Resort
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We weren't suppose to go to Kep, but a last minute change of plans found ourselves heading to Kep for one night to check it out.
So the day before, we booked Vanna Hill Resort on Agoda for $25.
Having been in Cambodia for a week by then, I wasn't expecting much. A room, a bed, and a cold shower. It's $25, I really did not expect to find a modern resort, up on the hill, with seaviews that had a fantastic pool and cute little villas.

We did book the cheapest fan rooms and noticed that we got the old style rooms. It looks like they were still doing the villas up and our building was the oldest looking of all, but that did not mean it wasn't comfortable! Our room had such character I very much enjoyed staying in it. I had a hammock on the balcony which I spent a few hours reading my book on. The room didn't have a tv but who needed a tv when there is a great pool area that over looked the sea?

The breakfast buffet is alright. Nothing fancy but not bad either. Staff are mostly helpful, but can be a bit grumpy in the morning and reluctant at times, but we've not had major issues with anyone.

I think, give it time the resort will become a great place to stay... currently there are still faults to be found - such as the un-finished toilets and change room areas on the far end of the pool, and besides having a great restaurant area I was hoping to find more Khmer style food on it rather than western all the way.

Oh - the hotel did advertise wireless, but the only place you can get any signal is near the restaurant and at the pool.

Kep is also prone to power cuts and we did get a few at night - but then that's not the hotel's fault - they tried everythign to ensure that our night isn't too interrupted by promptly lighting up candles and keeping trying for power. A bummer on the shower though, as most showers in Cambodia are run on electric it meant that half of my shower time was running cold water.
Just as well it was hot.

But you know what? For $25 a night for the quality we got, I am not going to complain!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SleepyCatLover
Dear customer, the team of Vanna Hill Resort joins to thank you for your opinion.
We will do our best so that at a future stay with us you leave us full marks.