The Vine Retreat
Agoda.com
All reviewstuk tukrabbit islandprojectjungletranquilityinsects
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The vine became my home and the staff my friends during the month I stayed there whilst working for Funky Junk at the community centre in Chamcar Bei. So it is difficult to be objective. I felt really cared for by the staff who would always do whatever they could to please. There is a wonderful integrity about the Vine Retreat that is dedicated to serving the environment and the local community, as well as the guests.
As much food as possible is sourced either from outside the kitchen door, or locally, and some of the best meals I had in Cambodia were at the Vine. The food was always fresh and tasty. But local and seasonal means that not everything on the menu is always available.
It is not 5 star, and it's remote location is both it's appeal and it's drawback.
Do ask to do a hike up Phom Voar. Not only are there great views but you also learn something of the local history, and you help the local reforestation project.
Take time, listen, learn and relax.

Room Tip: I preferred upstairs rooms to downstairs as they were lighter and I had the shutters open all night. Downstairs are cheaper and darker. My favorite was room 9 which has it's own balcony. But it is the most expensive.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Gillian N
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have been to the Vine Retreat a number of times now during my travels in Cambodia. I love this place, so peaceful the staff are friendly and helpful. The scenary is beautiful. There is a terrace do sit and in the mornings enough space to do a little yoga practice.

It is a bit off the beaten track but the Vine Managers will always do what they can to make your trip a bit easier. The places that are harder to get to often are the places that are extra special.

The thing that will always stay with me are the sounds of insects at night and the lanterns gentley swinging in the breeze around the pool like stars.

Simply Beautiful!

Room Tip: All rooms are good. But room 5 near the kitchen is a bit noisey during the day time. Room 9 is the best and hasa small area to sit outside.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank inky t
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Our family of five travelled South East Asia for two months. Generally, we found it difficult to escape the tourist trail and the must-sees, but at the Vine we slowed down and relaxed. For once the adults were able to get an after-sundown drink, while the kids were sleeping in the room down the corridor.
Breakfast is great, the pool is very nice.
The Vine is in a remote place, 30 min by tuk-tuk from Kep, which is not really a town. Great seafood in Kep, though.
Patience is required, as the daily staff are local youngsters under training. Almost no English is spoken. As I also read in another review, no-one bid us welcome, which felt weird when you arrive in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise very nice people and good service.
Highly recommended getaway.
Easy bordercrossing to Vietnam, as most go Phnom Penh - Saigon.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Kasper76
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Not a great arrival. Single Tuk Tuk met 5 of us from the bus already loaded with goods so a squeeze to say the least. When we arrived there was initially no one there but then someone asked what we wanted! However from then on we loved the Vine and its staff and would go again. The peace and environment was perfect half way through our travels. The pool was fantastic and the food excellent. Just come and relax. No temple bashing, no crazy markets and no one trying to sell you postcards or bracelets! Do not expect 5 star luxury - that is not the point of the Vine.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank James B
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I had an amazing time at the Vine Retreat. Our room was great--such a bargain. There is a farm and kampot pepper plantation on the grounds where they grow much of the food offered at the restaurant. The views are stunning and the pool was a nice surprise. The retreat is menioned in the NY Times article "Cambodia's Sweet Spot," which made me appreciate it so much more after reading (www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/travel/cambodia-in-and-around-kep-open-but-undeveloped.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all). All that, and free WiFi and breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple