“Amazing eco resort”

Ranked #19 of 50 Kep B&B and Inns
London
“Amazing eco resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Recently got back from a weekend at the Vine Retreat. Far exceeded my expectations. Stunning surroundings, well finished rooms in a beautiful wooden house. The pool is lovely - though a natural pool so a bit more like a pond but that didn't bother us. We went on a guided walk up to a vista with amazing views of the sea and mountains. Had a great 3 course dinner the first night - good home cooked Khmer food. Only slight complaint is the generator is pretty noisy and there was someone digging outside our window at 7.30am on the Sunday morning - perhaps gardening could be done a little later. Apart from that we loved it - would/will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennyhu
Dan-Vine, Manager at The Vine Retreat, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
So glad to read that you had a pleasant stay with us, we love hearing about customers who come and stay with us and enjoy The Vine Retreat for the all round travelling experience that we try and provide.

I would like to apologise for the noise of the generator during your stay, let me assure you that this was a temporary situation, we were using a back up while the main power source was having maintenance work. This situation has been remedied.

As for the farm staff being too eager on a Sunday morning, we have spoken about the importance of keeping the noise down during the early morning around the guest house, sorry this was not the case during your stay.

Once again thank you for your support and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

This is my 3rd trip to Cambodia, and Vine has provided by far the best overall acomodations and experience. I love this place! It had incredible views from the entire property.
Cambodia is more than temples and 25cent beers. You have to go off the beaten path to find the best spots. Luckily the Vine is only 5 k from the main road. Try the sweet and sour pork with fried morning glory!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Michael P
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

While I didn't stay here, we did stop by for a bite to eat and a cold drink.
The rural location is so peaceful, and the upstairs bar enchanting looking out over the pool area.
The whole place has a genuine charm, and the facilities appear to be top class.
If I'm ever back in the area, I definately want to try out this little gem.

There is not a great deal in the immediate vacinity, so if convenience to shops or beaches is your priority, probably best to try elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank PlayfulPup
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Last week I had the privilege of staying at The Vine Retreat near Kep. It was so relaxing and beautiful! The staff was excellent and the food was the best I ate in all of Cambodia. I stayed in a cute green room, but most of the time I hung out in the common areas of the second and third floors. I loved walking around the property, too. The flowers are beautiful and the garden is very impressive. I highly recommend The Vine Resort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank juliandco
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

I recently visited Cambodia, and had the pleasure of spending time in Kep. What an amazing wee place... There are not to many tourists around compared to other areas in the south. A friend and I decided to hire out a scooter one day and head off on our own tour of the area, pepper farms were first on the list to check out. After taking a turn off the main road onto a bumpy traditional Cambodian road, we stumbled upon The Vine Retreat. What a pleasant place we managed to find, neither my friend or myself had heard of the place knew that there was accommodation available there. After one of the lovely friendly ladies walked us around the pepper vines explaining all of the ins and out's, more than happy to answer any questions we had. We headed up to the beautiful restaurant for some much over due lunch! What a Fantastic place and location. From the restaurant you can see Vietnam in the distance and all the the beautiful mountain surroundings. Unfortunately we didn't have any time left on our travels to spend a night at The Vines, so Lunch had to suffice. What a fantastic menu available, the food was very, very fresh! Dan the Manager was more then happy to assist with menu favourites and show us around the rooms for future reference. If I was to return to the area The Vines would be where I would stay, it is close enough to scooter in to the town if need be, and further enough out to get that real relaxing experience. All in all The Vines is a beautiful place that you should most certainly check out if in the area! The rooms looked amazing, so do stay if you have the time..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ladieswholunch1
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

The retreat is located on a pepper farm with lovely views and a great pool. Rooms are clean and staff are friendly. However I was not impressed that most of the items on the menu was not available (the retreat is located at least 30mins away from the main town of Kep & an hour from Kampot, so I had no other choice) and I was disgusted that the manager treated the retreat like his own home and the staff like his own personal servants. I wasn't impressed and will not recommend this to my friends who are traveling to Cambodia.

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank doggerMelbourne
Dan-Vine, Manager at The Vine Retreat, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Firstly I would like to apologise for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am very sad to hear that you left with the impression that our staff are mistreated and I would like to personally assure you and others that this is absolutely not the case. The Vine Retreat places significant emphasis on taking care of our staff, as a matter of both principle and policy. As part of our commitment to social responsibility, we have dedicated ourselves to ensuring that the staff at The Vine Retreat enjoy comparatively good pay and benefits and a working environment that is both safe and pleasant.
The Vine Retreat is indeed a home, and we have been welcoming guests into it with very few complaints since 2009. The open environment at the Vine Retreat means that conversations between staff are sometimes heard by guests. We will work hard to ensure that this does not occur in the future so that our guests are able to fully enjoy the serenity of The Vine Retreat.
As for the issue of food not being available from the menu, it has never been the case that “most items on the menu” are unavailable. Some produce grown on the farm or purchased from market are seasonal and hence not available year round. Also due to our location there are times when we run out of certain stock and haven’t yet been able to replenish it, but this is a rare occurrence. I apologise if this was the case during your stay.
I hope the rest of your journey through Cambodia was pleasant. We would welcome you back to The Vine Retreat in the future and hope that we can give you the same enjoyable experience that most people tell us they have when they stay with us, as reflected in our other reviews.
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

This must be one of the best places I have stayed in - peace, tranquillity, great food, fantastic service, good value, We spent 4 nights here and we all wished we were staying longer. A little way from anywhere but that is its attaraction as you can really chill out here. Fantastic dining/bar/relaxing area and all open to the cool breezes. Meals at night were set and beautifully cooked with gorgeous crockery. The whole thing made for a totally relaxing experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family