Malibu Estates Bungalows Resort
$98
Agoda.com
$28
Orbitz.com
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The rooms are smelly and totally overpriced, the food is exceptional and the staff is not friendly. The owner is friendly but has no clue of hospitality... sad... because the resort would have a lot of potential! However to be fair I have to say the the surrounding is amazing and the pool area is nicely designed.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Nathalia501
Reviewed May 7, 2011

This place was recommended to us in phnom penh! The room are big, clean. The decoration is neutral.
For the price you can not tell something!
Anita work there hard with his staff and with a good humor.
Thanks for your good restaurant recommendation at the crab market!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank AnneD68
Reviewed April 15, 2011

After travelling from Vietnam, I was slightly concerned about arriving at Malibu after the negative reviews.My friend and I were tired and were hoping that it wasn't as bad as the reviews we had read. A tuk tuk driver dropped us off and the lady walked across to meet us and take us to our bungalow! She pointed us to the pool and showed us around our bungalow! All I can say is- what a lovely lady! The pool is beautiful and the surroundings are truly a little piece of paradise. We didn't have any Cambodian riel and although they do accept USD, we had to get somemoney.However, the tuk tuk driver took us to a nearby restaurant and they were able to give us money! The next day we were waiting for a pick up that was late. The woman owner was so helpful and got us a tuk tuk straight away! This is all included in the price! Just to add the man who works in the restaurant is super friendly and helpful too! I would recommend everyone to go to Malibu, if you like a peaceful and quiet atmosphere!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Please pay attention to those comments. The website is very attractive, but reality is much different. Located in a quite area away from the center (rent bikes is necessary, but not at the hotel – very very old bicycles). The room and bungalows offer an ugly décor, over tacky… really bad taste (we talked with customers trapped here during high season, and they made the same comments). Dark atmosphere in the rooms (not efficient lighting) may be to avoid to look at the stained sheets and the lack in the cleanness (housekeeper staid in our bedroom less than 5 minutes to clean it). Shower is a jock, no water pressure; very tiny bathroom. Sound proof is bad; you can hear your neighbors even if you stay in a bungalow. Breakfast is very poor… and the manage smokes next to it all morning drinking her coffee. She is not friendly at all, not trying to give nice advice about the area, except if she can be commissioned on bus tickets our tours. No real reception. No security (your room key can be taken by any one during day time). One more thing, if you still decide to stay at Malibu (big mistake) prepare lot of cash… They don’t announced on their website and even during the reservation process that they refuse credit cards… Bad surprise and real trouble, as they is no ATM in Kep. All in all, very bad value.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PhilippePalmsSpring
Reviewed December 26, 2010

Whoever wrote the advertising copy for this place is either an estate agent, or an award winning fiction writer. Without doubt the worst place I have stayed in in Asia and in fact anywhere else considering the price.

We were quoted $30 a night for a bungalow with fan only and were assured it was comforatbly basic, with a luxurious pool.

So......... here's the low down on the fiction in the advetising:

* 'Stunning views' - of what?! For this to be a selling point is a joke,.. Simply a raised restaurant with some hills at the back and a stunning view of a dusty road. Nothing that can't be seen anywhere else.

* Bathroom: the shower unit fell off the wall. The water pressure was little more than a dribble and to top it all - the lightbulb and shower thermostat were wired together - so when i adjuted the temperature - the light went on or off. I'm sure in the electricians handbook it advises not to mix electricity and water.

* TV - didn't work

* A welcoming and fully stocked fridge of.............. two small bottles of water. Cheap.

* The mattress was disgusting - damp, mouldy, springs poking through, uncomfortable and the linen was disgusting - see attached pic.

* The mosquito net had duct tape holding it together! They cost absolutely nothing - again... cheap.

* Over priced food

* Pool - hardly a 'stunning' feature as the concrete bungalows are packed so tightly together around the pool giving it areal claustrophobic feel.

* Breakfast - appauling. Stale baguette, ran out of coffee, and the staff gave the impression of 'just can't be ar*ed'.

The most annoying aspect of this over-rated and over-priced 'le dump' - was the total arrogance of the French owner and management. It felt like it was a hangout for a load of 'amis', and the guests seemed to be an annoying inconvenience.

We thought we had paid for a $30 a night bungalow. When I went to pay for it - we were charged $42 for the night. We were supposed to stay two nights, but as I was about to lose my rag - a feling of relief came over me that I was more than happy to pay the $42 just to get out of the place.

When I asked how he had calculated the figure - I got a typical French shrug of the shoulders as if to say- 'I don't care nor give a [--]', as the scribbled calculations on a notepad were revised. I was given the change to my large dollar denomination in annoyingly small denominations of Cambodian Riel and one dollar notes as if to make a point. Petty.

I have no idea how this place has got any positive reviews - unless you're French. It is without doubt the worst place I have stayed in - their attitude is mind blowingly rude. Don't waste your money here and go and stay in much better places locally - i.e. The Veranda which we stayed in the next night and had an amazing time for roughly the same price.

One star for this 'le dump' is too much.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple