“Vision and quality”
Review of Knai Bang Chatt

Knai Bang Chatt
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Kep
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We visited Knai Bang Chatt on the opening night of their new restaurant, The Strand. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and has quality and attention to detail as standard. Great rooms with individual touches compliment the attentive service and wide range of facilities. Next door to the Sailing Club in Kep they are able to provide activities as well as relaxation. The food was very, very good and we believe this will go on to add to what is a great venue in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Knai Bang Chatt

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed at this fabulous resort for 3 nights in January 2014.
All the positive review are true: unique style, amazing architecture, excellent food (breakfast, lunch, dinner), very well maintained, beautiful garden, multiple really nice private areas to relax, big and luxurious pool area etc. It is a big property for only 18 rooms - and even though it was 75% full (guessing), it almost felt like we had the place for ourselves most of the time.

I REALLY want to give this place 5 stars - but in the end I will give 4 stars for the following reasons:

1) from our room, Internet was really unstable and 90% close to being simply unusable. I had to call my work and ask them if something was wrong with our server or with my mobile ( which it wasn't). It was the stability of the hotels internet outside the reception area.
2) hot and cold water mixture was impossible to control - I had to give up taking a relaxing shower on the last day. Ok, so cold shower works fine as well - but not every day and not at a place like this.
3) the prices for the food and rooms are fair for this type of upper class property and style. In fact some things were a bargain: a 3-courses set menu deliciously prepared and served was amazingly only $25! One hour of private 1-to-1 yoga was only $9. However, there was some extra service which simply was a irrational and annoying for a value-for-money oriented person like me:

1) taxi from Sihanoukville airport was charged $88 by the hotel. Going back to Sihanoukville asking a local taxi driver, the price was $40. And $40 was the taxi drivers first offer which I took without haggling - the cars were identical Toyota Camry from around 2000. Sure, I understand that airport-taxi is more expensive through the hotel than directly. 120% more expensive (48/40) is too much!
2) On the final morning, I got some good but pretty basic sandwiches "to go": $18 was perhaps not a rip off, but too close to give a good feeling in my opinion.
3) A bought a bottle of Evian water (1.5liter) in the restaurant to take to the room - I think $8 is too much in Cambodia even at a marvelous hotel.

Despite some negative issues, I will come back one day.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ncmOslo
Reviewed January 14, 2014

If you are looking for a complete get away then this is the place for you. It is most definitely tranquil, peaceful and relaxing. The buildings, the rooms, the pool and garden are all beautiful. We had a couple of lovely dinners here, more high end fine dining, and for more casual meals we went next door to the Beach Club, also owned by the resort. The staff were lovely, anxious to please.
A true little haven.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Hard to fault the lovely staff and standard of service at knai bang chatt. Rooms were minimalist which may not be to the taste of some but we loved them and beds were very comfy. Rooms 1 & 2 were great for families with shared living room and balcony. Setting perfect and relaxing. Ate a couple of dinners which were delicious. Good breakfasts. Sailing club fun for cocktails and dinner and crab market for lunch (try Holy Crab ) if you did not eat too much breakfast. More expensive than other hotels we stayed in but it was christmas and was worth it.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Elegant, luxurious yet not a bit ostentatious. Brilliantly managed by Belgian Joffrey who runs a great and friendly team. Lovely spots all over to sit and read, or take in the sea views and enjoy the Modernist architecture. The attached Sailing Club is perfect for lunch, the fish market is a five-minute walk away if you want great crab by night. Only quibble: patchy wifi reception.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TOLEG
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel is probably the most beautiful hotel I ever stayed in. Everything looks wonderful, in even the smallest detail. Beautiful decorated room, fantastic - salty - swimmingpool, great garden with lots of different places to sit, good breakfast with seaview and very relaxing spa.
The sailing club next door - open to public - is great, also for children, with table tennis, pool table and soccer field. Excellent drinks and food!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 with a build in couch where our 2 children could easily sleep together. Next to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank alexandravdl
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Firstly let me say I've traveled a lit in Asia, and lately mostly in Cambodia. For the cost I expected this to be perfect, not one issue from arrival to check out. Now one could argue I had bad luck but I think it's more indicative of this hotel being vastly overrated.

The grounds are amazing, the rooms and design is flawless. There are rest areas all over the grounds so you can relax.

I booked a tour for $50 which was pretty much a tuk tuk and a guide who was lovely but not much English. Completely not worth the fee which was refunded to me by the hotel but with limited time I missed learning about Kep. Turns out they knew before I went the normal guide was booked so they weren't sure he would be good. If I'd known I wouldn't have spent that in the first place.

The staff were as attentive as anywhere I've stayed but when my father came to hotel, and I had spoken to reception about him no one mentioned he was not allowed on the grounds. He arrived and accompanied me to my room to pick up some things I had for him (I couldn't carry it), we were approach and told he was not allowed and must be accompanied by this guy. I was mortified and whole I understand to avoid sex tourism a lot of hotels have this policy but no one told me even when I mentioned he would be around, attending the tour with me etc. I was extremely embarrassed to have this happen in front of everyone as we were walking across the lawn.

Last but not least, I had booked a lovely dinner in the sailing club and after 20mins of waiting for my juice, sending back my seafood platter as the squid still had innards oozing out of it, and it coming back after 50 mins cold on a hot plate I gave up in favour of the crab market. They did not charge me for that, but the manager of the restaurant only took my plate back when I attempted to take a photo, previously telling me it was just fat from the squid.

Overall I think you can get for better value for your spend, when it's busy it isn't serene, it's like any other holiday resort with kids and teenagers talking, crying and running around. I wish I'd stayed elsewhere and for a third of the price I would have expected a little less.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank shelleygirl
Joffrey G, General Manager at Knai Bang Chatt, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Shelley,

Thanks for your input - That was fast!

Knai Bang Chatt is indeed a private resort - Outside visitors are not allowed within the guests area room side. Unless escorting by our Receptionist staff. This is to respect the privacy of our guests.
Restaurant area - The Strand is open to outside guests.
Shelly, what is disturbing here, is the fact that the gentlemen visiting you, told us that he is not your Dad.

Regarding the Squid issue, Chef Janine and I, took your complain seriously as it was share to us with a such way that we did indeed had to investigate further. We end up eating outside to try how our colleagues were doing with their local squid. I have to say that they all tasted great and had the same texture as us.

Let me apologize for our Tour being not at your standard. We will be looking into it.

Shelly, thanks again for staying with us. On our side, it was a real pleasure to take care of you.

Hoping that you will be leaving Cambodia with unique memories.

Regards,