“A favourite”
Review of Rikitikitavi

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kampot
Rikitikitavi
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Kampot
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Yes, this place is a bit quirky as far as layout in some of the rooms is concerned but that is part of what makes this place so charming. My husband and I, along with my sister's family all thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Rikitikitavi. The staff were lovely, happy individuals who went out of their way to assist us and we wholeheartedly support what Denise is doing to train local people at the Riki. We loved sitting on the upper floor sipping our cocktails and watching the sun go down over the river opposite and, as the place was packed, so did a lot of other people. Denise also went above and beyond to assist us with organising a reputable taxi driver to transport us to Sihanoukville at the end of our stay. Keep up the good work Denise and Dom.

Room Tip: Ask for the family room if you have children, it is a very comfortable size and reasonably priced.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SpecialBirthday

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Could not fault this place which felt like a home away from home except with fantastic food. Our hosts, Dom and Denise made the booking process and getting there from Phnom Penh effortless. Dom arranged an English speaking driver for a very reasonable price. Upon arrival, we were met by the lovely, gentle and funny staff who took us to our room and told us to go upstairs to formally check in when we had settled in and freshened up. Meals were all fabulous along with the happy hour cocktails. Great coffee too. All our tours were arranged there and nothing was too difficult. Our room was beautifully decorated and well appointed. Our windows and fly screens all worked fine and we paid a tiny bit more money for a large room with 2 sleeping areas, a lounge area and a small private courtyard. We are looking forward to our next visit as soon as possible and we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janman1309
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Admittedly, my husband and I only stayed in Kampot for 1 night, but we've been to Cambodia several times, so have a pretty good idea of what you can get for your money. We agree that Rikkitikkitavi is a"nice," comfortable hotel, with very clean, nicely decorated, if rather small, rooms and lovely, cheerful and friendly Cambodian staff, all of whom seem to be able to speak reasonable English. The rooms have all the amenities you should expect for a place that is primarily targeting Western tourists, including bar-fridge, safe and coffee/tea-making facilities, and an exceptional collection of free DVDs to play in your room, which you really need to do if you're needing a fix of the box as TV reception, even for cable channels is pretty poor across the south of Cambodia. The cocktails really are yummy and well-priced and the food is quite nice (except for the eggs at breakfast, which were virtually cold), but the menu selection is rather limited. The pressure and heat of water for showers was also good, but, although the decoration of the very compact bathroom is also very nice, there are some major floors in spatial design...the toilet has been placed so close to the shower cubicle wall that the toilet roll holder cuts into you when sitting down...and we're both only small people (God knows how a larger person would squeeze in!); there is also a very nice timber shelf above the very nice vanity basin, but in a position that you are at major risk of dinging you head when you bend over to clean your teeth...the craftsmanship around the bathroom door is also quite shoddy. issue is that the window cannot be closed due to Another issue is that the way the insect- screen has been fitted to the window means it cannot be closed, which allows the cold air from the air-con to escape out and the sounds from the street to come in....there are slatted shutters which help, but mostly to cut out the light, rather than the sound! (I'd hate to be paying for the extra electricity that must be used by the aircon having to work so hard) There is WiFi, both in the rooms and in the restaurant, but this kept cutting out. Finally, although we had been in email contact with Dom and Denise (owners) before checking in and they seemed like genuinely nice people, they made no attempt to introduce themselves to us, although they WERE on the premises in the evening...rather impolite...what does it take, 2 minutes of your life to say hello to guests? I was also slightly surprised that while the fabulous DVD collection included Jungle Book and the Compendium includes Kipling's lovely story of Rikki Tikki Tavi (which, for Management's information is now part of the Year 8 English Curriculum across Queensland in Australia), there is no copy of the animated movie of Rikki Tikki Tavi...yes, it is rather difficult to get, but, if I had named my hotel after this story, I would be making a point of having at least one copy in my collection. Overall, Rikkitikkitavi is a nice place, but so are many others!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gandke54
Rikitikitavi-kampot, Owner at Rikitikitavi, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Hiya,

We are really sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us at Rikitikitavi. We all strive to the best of our abilities to make every guests stay as perfect as we can, obviously we failed in this regard towards you, and for this you have our apologies. We are chuffed you found so much to like here though.

The bathroom in room 3 is quite compact, as Rikitikitavi is located in a converted historic barn some aspects of layout were forced upon us that are less than ideal. Thanks for the compliments about the decor in the bathroom, and your issue with the placement of the toilet roll holder is well founded, but it was the best option available to us.

I have just checked the window in the room, and am somewhat confused by your comments. If you slide the glass in the frame across to close it, the heat will not escape. If this was causing an inconvenience to you then we could have happily remedied it immediately if informed.

We saw from your guest feedback form, as well as from this review, that you were very put out at not being welcomed by us personally and that seems to be the crux of your disappointment here. We did respond to you before you posted this review to clarify and apologize for the situation, but you saw fit to proceed anyway. I was, very provably, in Phnom Penh when you were here and Denise was hyper busy getting the new web site on line (Its fab, by the way!). While she was in the restaurant for quite some time in the afternoon, in the evening it was only quite briefly. I believe you have confused us with an expat couple eating here,who the staff are very friendly with, and taken offence to them not knowing who you were. While I fully respect your point of view, I am a bit sorry for you that being welcomed by the owner of hotels you stay in is so important to you, virtually all our other guests are enamored by meeting the fabulous, charming and funny Khmer staff here far more than a fat, bald Englishman like myself.

We love meeting people, especially our guests, it is why we run a hotel in Kampot. People who choose to come to Kampot are by their nature interesting, adventurous folk, and its one of the great joys of my life to hear their stories. We are genuinely sorry we did not get to see you when you were in town, but please pop on in for a chat when next passing this way.

We all hope the rest of your time in this fabulous country is amazing,

Toodle pip
Dom -Owner at Rikitikitavi

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed only 1 night on the way to Phnom Penh but this is definitely a place where you can pause and enjoy for some time. The room we had was just amazing, so was the included breakfast. The curry I had in the restaurant was too European for my taste(for others it might be perfect)but the view across the river made good for that.
The staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome. Late check-out was no problem as well.
All in all we had a pleasant stay and the next time I’m in Kampot I won’t hesitate a second with checking into this place again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tscheruk
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Almost feels unnecessary to do a review of a place which so clearly has been for everyone (except Augustus) an absolute highlight of their visit to Cambodia. But quality should be rewarded. We had great hotels across Cambodia - but the combination of Denise's attention to detail, wonderful staff who genuinely seemed to be enjoying their jobs and open air terrace made this the perfect place to relax for a few days before flying back home. Got young kids? Ours are still talking about their time at Rikitikitavi.

Augustus' reference to the "larger louts" appearing" for the 2 for 1 happy hour is curious - Rikitikitavi is about the only GH on the river that doesn't do 2 for 1 happy hour beers - strictly cocktails only. Very friendly for families and others enjoying a drink with a view over the river

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2012

When arriving at Rikitikitavi we had a warm welcome. Staff showed us to our room and we were blown away! The room was beautiful, the best beds ever and the shower was amazing too! We were made welcome from the moment we arrived until we left. I would have loved to have stayed longer!! All of the staff were friendly,attentive and always willing to help. The food we had there was amazing and the breakfast included was tasty and filling. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough and if I ever return to Cambodia I would stay again. Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'm not sure what AugustusBrisbane was on about either.

The rooms were beautifully furnished with an amazing vibe, with all the mod cons needed. They even had a massive DVD library ranging from Documentaries to Kids shows to Sci-Fi probabaly exceeding 400 titles.

The staff were amazing, especially both owners who were both lovely along with all the young Cambodians they employ. Bori - made the BEST cocktails ever and was a lovely host.

Both their 1st tier and 2nd Tier chefs had gotten married and were on their honeymoon when we arrived and we were treated to their 3rd Tier chef...we were not disappointed, the food there rates a 5/5 from my wife and I, with a grand menu catering to local style cuisine all the wy through to an extensive western menu. Try the Cambodian Saraman Curry, it was so good!

Yes there were a few power outages but that's what happens when you are in the middle of nowhere and it was across the whole city not just the hotel, also Augustus mentioned that thy didnt have credit card facilities - nowhere does only the big banks, not a single hotel or bar in the town does because it doesn't exist yet.

I can't recommend this place highly enough, we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple