“Far from bliss!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kampot
Blissful Guesthouse
Ranked #67 of 86 Kampot B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Far from bliss!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I had the displeasure of staying at Blissful for one night as my bus arrived late at night in Kampot... I took the chance and thought that the pub as seen at the front looked quite social and promising.

I had a room with a queen bed for $5.00 and made peace with the fact that if I didn't like it i would move in the morning..

Well, I HATED it! My room was the one on the ground level where the mopeds are parked outside. It had no door knob, just a padlock and a hinge, so already I felt like I was staying in a shed. I didnt feel safe for a single second there, and the windows are not Secure. To add to this, i felt i heard people outside my window... That freaked me out more than it pissed me off (ill resign to the fact that its a public walkway) however when you have a door with no proper handle and lock...??!! The service at the front desk/bar was terrible, amongst the worst though I think at that point (7pm-ish?) he was drunk. Not that it excuses it but still...

My bathroom was a mess, dirty and old/unused as it had a stale smell. On that note, the entire room smelt damp, further to that the bed itself WAS damp and a cheap foam mattress. It was damp to the point that it smelt like urine.

I made friends who stayed there that night also, in the bar which I must say serves great, albeit pricier, food and has a good atmosphere. The couple also confirmed that their room royally sucked and smelt also like urine.

We all conspired to move the following day, but politely asked the bartender if we were allowed to come over at night for drinks/food. He said we could (though we felt bad).

Avoid at all costs!! We all actually moved and stayed across the road at Orchid Guesthouse and it was sublime!! $5 also, and the best service ever! We loved the owner and his family, and felt safe there! Be sure to book the front room, it has the most space!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Amaryanne

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Palermo, Italy
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Rooms are cheap and you get what you pay: no hot water and air is a bit stuffy.
But the bar is a good place to meet other travelers at night (the food is maybe a bit too expensive). Anyway I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a very cheap and great place to crash for a couple of days, even if it is only to chill in the garden for a couple of days. The hostel rents out bicycles and motorbikes, so a good place to stay if you also want to check out Kampot. Not much to see here, but you have great landscapes in the outskirts of the town and the hostel can arrange for tuktuk or moped drivers that also speaks english.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights as my parner was not well. The rooms were bleak and worse for ware and reminded us of S-21.
The bed was uncomfortable and bedding/towels never changed, ceiling fan very noisy, toilet flush broken and ants were everywhere.The balcony was dirty so i dont think it was intended for out use. We also discovered that the young boys that lived and worked there was spying on us at night. The curtains were see through and only covered part of the window so they stood on the communal balcony and looked in at us. We occasionally woke up to see them scarper. Most un-nerving!
The lively cafe/bar was great and served excellent food and also had happy hour every day and some quizes, so that is defo worth a visit. Other than that, if you do stay over, move the bed away from the window and DONT ever be naked!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Asia
Reviewed May 15, 2012

After weeks of traveling, meeting new cultures, seeing new sights, eating new eats, the body sometimes just crave for some homelike stuff.
This is where Kampot and Blissful Guesthouse enters the picture. This place offers amazing comfort food plus really nice khmer food (the curry is the best!) The rooms are ok for the price you pay. But what makes the place truly unique is the atmosphere of the place. there is always a hammock to chill in, always a fellow traveller to share a beer with, always a friendly and smiling staff to be seen, and last but not least, three wonderful dogs that will be your friend forever if you give them five minutes of attention.
Really recommend this place.

Room Tip: cant beat room five or room six.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Arrived here last night - only had dorm beds left @ $2. So off I went in search of a room - checked 5 other local guesthouses on same street and returned to book into Blissful for the dorm room.
Now being older than some travellers and having never done the "dorm thing" I was apprehensive... but it was brilliant. Just carry your valuable with you. Dorm male/female share) was great and probably had best sleep in weeks. Mossie nets supplied and toilets etc close by.

Happy hour between 4pm and 8pm and a very friendly atmosphere. Beer was cold and the food great...... club sandwich is stacked and comes with french fries crammed onto the plate ($6). Beers 75 cents at happy hour / $1 afterwards. Try the vodka infused with the local pepper, a shelf full to choose from..... had the green pepper vodka - wow!!!! 25 cent water refills (large).

The menu has some great choices. Great gardens with loads of hammocks, and chill out areas to choose from. Even when full (and it was my first night), you could still find somewhere to chill out and not see anyone!!!!!!

So it's my second night tonight and I've moved out of the dorm and into a $3 room upstairs... above the bar area and the staff did mention it can get noisy at night with the music below - hey, it's $3 and the music choice was good last night, so no problem for me. Room has 2 windows without mossie mesh, but has it's own mossie net on double bed. Fan as well and includes it's own little balcony area too. Toilets a quick 10 seconds away

Sitting writing this in the restaurant / bar area and people have moved on, but people have also arrived and at 11am they have one room left, and it's only 11am (dorms are also full). So another busy night for the bar and restaurant staff..... oh yeah, free wi-fi which is very quick.

......good business guys, well done for making Blissful as welcoming as I heard it was.

Room Tip: No booking available as their website says. Get there as soon as possible. Check out their website...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
UK
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The name of this place must be a joke. Blissful it ain't. Music till midnight every night, heard clearly in our room, staff chatting by our window, motorbikes coming and going etc. The prices in the restaurant were absolutely astronomical. $3.50 for fried rice?! Good value room, if a bit shabby.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank cheese_monkeyy

Travelers are raving about these Kampot hotels