“Highlight of my trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kampot
Arcadia Backpackers Kampot
Ranked #6 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Kampot
“Highlight of my trip”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I arrived in Arcadia after reading the reviews on trip advisor and I have to say they were absolutely spot on , the owners and staff were very welcoming and clearly enjoyed there job in this paradise escape on the gorgeous kampot river , there was never a dull moment from playing beach volley ball to a rope swing into the river ( a must try for a thrill) , the blob was a amazing time also for hours we sat around and laughed while ppl jumped onto the inflatable pillow and sent people sky high into the river, my friends and I also tried some tubing that was a lot of fun also . The Rooms were clean good wifi and lovely staff , I deffinatly recommend to anyone who would like to have a good time and meet good like minded people to check this place out , if looking for a quiet get away I don't recommend staying in the dorm near the common area rather opt for the quiet dorm rooms closer to the entrance , I have to say deffinatly a highlight of my trip I met some amazing people I planned on staying 2 nights and ended up staying 2 weeks .

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Iamrocco

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

This place is set in the most beautiful place and run by beautiful people. There's a really good vibe here and a big social area overlooking the river with the infamous 'blob' (water launch pad) with nice, helpful staff who are always up for a jam :)

Oooh and the food is yum-scribbelly-dumptious too!

Word of advice to giants: don't get the hobbit house or the leprechaun lair... The clue is in the name!!

Nothin' but love for Arcadia.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

I just want to start this post off by saying that if you want a party hostel and can deal with bad conditions then go. Pros: good beds, nice common area, good wifi, good food and river
Cons: where do i begin....no fans in the room, extremely dirty and unkempt bathrooms, no cleaning of garbage in rooms, shower head fell off the shower for my dorm (squakers) and the staff didnt even bat an eyelid that i decided to cancel two nights. Spoke to others who cut their stay short as well due to insanely noisy partying all night. You would expect a decent hostel to have a policy of shutting things down by a certain hour but no. The first and last night i stayed there i was awoken by blaring music and loud yelling and singing. I went to the bar area because my room was also terribly lacking in electrical outlets...went to charge my ipod to try and drown out the music...expected to see loads of people but there were only about 8, less than the people tossing and turning in my dorm trying to get some rest. I asked them to turn it down and the OWNER gave me a snarky look and then said he would but didnt. These dudes were also doing absinthe shots at 9am. Its that kind of place. Stayed up 2 hours praying theyd shut it down and then finally passed out only to be awoken again at 730am. I went and asked them a second time to turn it down and they did, only slightly. I considered not paying for my stay due to the exteme rudeness of the staff and just the overall neglect of the property and inconsideration for the guests. As one guy said: If you want a good nights sleep youre better off going somewhere else.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank 266staras
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Amazing experience! Located right on the water, perfect for swimming right after those hot days. The staff were very accommodating from the moment we arrived. It was Khmer New Year with most staff off for their well deserved breaks, but nonetheless ready to help us out anyway they could. Great with aiding you in organising motorbikes, tuk tuks and busses when leaving the city. We stayed 3 nights and would stay here again!

Special shoutouts to Andy, Sarah, Montreal and Timmmy!

Room Tip: Dorms and Private Dorms are very similar
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2014

After reading the good reviews highly disappointed. Got here and yes, the scenery is lovely, and for $3 a night I would recommend sleeping in the binge barn. That's sadly where it ends. First meal, my chicken burger took 45 minutes, my girlfriends baguette, 15 minutes on top of that. Ok fair enough might be busy or something. After a tiresome journey here we thought we'd spend the day chilling here, oh the wifi is good too btw. Had another meal, I had a stirfry, they said it would be a while as they were busy, my girlfriend had chicken breast, mash and gravy. This time hers came first after an hour, mine was 45 mins beyond that, for a stir fry. Went bed, ok sleep, woke up. Tried the shower upstairs at 7.30am, no water, because of this, as you can imagine, unflushable toilet. It stank and was nearly overflowing. Asked a guy at 8am, can you sort the water out we want to get cracking, his response was soon, asked a girl at 9 whom said yeah it'll be on soon. At 10 we were told it was working, when it just wasnt. A lad WHO DIDNT EVEN WORK THERE! pointed out there was one below. Well it worked, just. But being 6ft, washing under a spitty, dribbly shower in a dark 5ft 8ish room is not great. Noone could remember our names or which room we were staying in. We then booked a bus with them, they insisted it was booked but we paid bus when we got there. Obviously we got to bus station, no record of our booking, had too take a taxi to sihanoukville, which thankfully was hilarious. They were having a bbq, offered us some food, 3 skewers each, slice of bread and a table spoon of mash, ahh generous enough. Didn't tell us it was $5 each. And its about a 10 minute tuktuk drive out of town. I was going to give this place a 2, just because the scenery is nice and the beds are ok but after reading this I have had to drop that too a one. I felt it was surprisingly unsocial, I did not feel welcomed in the slightest. Half the girls who work there were nice, but the rest of the staff, including the owners, have just opened or worked in that place so they can sit around drinking all day. For a group of supposed travellers, the place is a joke. There's better places all down the road. Simply, unless your just here to get drunk for a few days on the bounce, AVOID

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms are quite good so don't waste money on any others if you still want to come h...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dexter G
arcadiabackpackers, Owner at Arcadia Backpackers Kampot, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
This is a response to the review written here,

Firstly I would like to say that this has been the only guest that has ever felt that it was not a social environment. We always try to provide a welcoming, fun, friendly and helpful environment as stated and reviewed by many other guests.
Point 2, the water mains in this area are constantly turned on and off, we do our best to accommodate this scenario by providing tank water to shower and barrels of water to flush the toilet. I am not sure if the guest was aware of this, as this is the case in many other guest houses all throughout Cambodia. And all guests are shown the many toilets available, in which there was another 3 toilets and 3 showers available at that time, one simply downstairs (the bathroom they ended up using) and the others were only about 20m down the pathway, which were also available for use when the water mains are off.
Point 3, during the guests stay, it was during Khmer New Year, in which all the Khmer staff were on holidays. This meant that there was no kitchen staff. We had some friends (none of whom are cooks), try and accommodate the guests that chose to eat here. We did encourage the guests to go into town for meals as we only had a limited menu. We did apologise to all the guests of this inconvenience however this guest was the only person to complain about the food situation or portions. We even offered the guests extra skewers as there was many leftovers, to which this guest refused.
Point 4, we had about 35 guests staying at that point in time, so it is hard for all our staff (who do shift work) to remember all the names of every guest that stays here and what rooms they stay in. We advise guests on check in, of the names of the rooms and bed numbers they are staying in.
Lastly, I do not appreciate the attack on the owners. It was actually one of the owners birthdays during this time the guest was talking about. We are a relatively new hostel (open since December) and strive to do the best we can. We are very busy every day and are constantly undertaking building projects to enhance our hostel. So to label the owners to be lazy and to sit around drinking all day (in which it was a celebratory day) is very deceptive.
To finish, I would like to say that I am sorry that this guest has had a bad experience here. Im not sure if they have had a lot of bad experiences in south east asia, thus making us out as a scapegoat for the way they feel about south east asia, or not. If you take the time to read every other review that has been written about this hostel, im sure you will find the exact opposite opinion, and im sure all future guests will also find the exact opposite opinion.
Looking forward to meeting all the new guests,
Thankyou,
Management
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Nothing negative to say about Arcadia, I continue to reminisce about my times there and just wish I could have had longer, although, like almost everyone else there we extended our stay. Arcadia attracts the best kind of people that you want to meet, with delicious food, a constant flow of alcohol, conversation, activities on the river whilst having such a chilled our vibe in the day and a great time in the evening. Everyone working there, and the owners, were so friendly and helpful with tonnes of advice about your travels.

An absolute must if you are in Cambodia

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

If you are a bagpacker and you want to relax in heaven for a while, Arcadia is the perfect place. A bit far from center, but great location on the river, super clean water, without the dirt of the city. You can jump from the Arcadias' restaurant dek straight into the water. Amazing staff, super funny and young spirit. Clean rooms, great wifi and amaaaaaaazing vibe!!! Have fun and take your time to stay there, you wont be able to leave :)

• Stayed March 2014