Samon's Village
$14
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewssalmonecoconut showertree housemosquito netthe riverred beef currytraditional cambodianshared bathroomthe sun setsuper chillthe ownertuk tukon stiltsdouble bedthe bar restaurant areanice spotkhmer food
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Words can't do samon's village justice. I originally was only meant to be in kampot for 2 days & one month later I'm still here. If your looking for a true Khmer experience then you will love samon's. The staff get an 11 out of 10, they really go the extra mile. The food is also fantastic & the beef curry is the nicest I have tried in Cambodia. It also boasts the best communal bar area on the river + sunrise is stunning. Most people who stay there end up extending their visit, this is now officially coined as the kampot trap!
Great place, great location & amazing people :)

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Mathew656
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

The most important word here is "basic", which I can't emphazise enough - this accomodation defines basic, there's nothing more between you and all the creepy crawlies than a thin dry palm leave, this bungalow is completely open to absolutely everything! You will have contact to animals, that's for sure. Still I was surprised when a gecko ran out under the mattress when I wanted to lay down...
So please be aware: this is a nice spot with a beautiful terrace but you have to be very, _very_ nature loving to really enjoy it, esp. at night...

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christian H
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Samon's is located just up the river from Kampot and it really quite a relaxing place. Yes, you will be staying in small hut. There are geckos, bugs, etc because you are in a western style hotel. This should be expected and as far as I am concerned is part of the experience. The flip side is at night you can sit outside on the porch on the river and just feel incredibly relaxed with the moonlight reflecting off the water while the staff prepares and excellent meal. The one thing that we did not enjoy as much was that the owner was a little pushy on selling tours. We would have no problem with him suggesting some tours, but after we had said we were just going to explore town and the area on our own we continued to be rather insistant, asking us if we'd decided after we told him no. However, the location and atmosphere is well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

After a lovely 2 hour tuk tuk ride from Kep to Kampot we arrived at Samon's Village. From the first few moments we were comfortable. Samon and the staff were exceptional. Whatever, whenever it was never too much for them. We had the Gourd Room with the inside bathroom. The room was simple but had all we needed. For $12 it was great. We dined a couple of times in our 3 night stay and the food was fine. It rained for most of our stay which meant I didn't really want to do the swing into the river and swimming and yahooing - maybe next time. It was either a $1 tuk tuk ride to or from town or about a slow 15 minute walk which was really pleasant. We managed to check out the other 4 riverside accommodation places and were SOOOO glad that we had picked Samon's. It was clearly the best. We loved Kampot. Found a few great places to dine or have a drink. We went on an outstanding tour to Bokor Mountain (with Buffalo Tours) for $13. It was very well worth it. Our whole time at Kampot was great with the ace in the hole being our home base at Samon's Village.

Room Tip: Get a room with inside bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emuplains
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I'm gonna start with the bad: I paid 12 $ per night for a wooden shack with an outside "private" bathroom attached to it (area with a toilet and "shower", the sides made of blankets and plastic sheets. Only neck high and very inconvenient. Sorry but it was crappy).
Right behind me there was a Khmer family living, so they could see/hear almost everything I did. The water was cold and the first days the water pressure to the showerhead was so low that I had to wash myself under the "bum gun".
There were holes in the mosquito net and the room was dark, even with the lights on. There was no sink and it did not seem very clean (the bin in the "bathroom" was still full of dirty toiletpaper from the previous guests). I never slept past 6 o clock, because the chickens and the roosters were making so much noise.
The good: Very friendly staff, very good and non-greasy food, good smoothies, the sitting area at the river was very nice, right next door to Bodhi villa (good bar and very easy to meet people), nice environment, a good place to come to rest. You don't get bothered.
I have very mixed feelings about this place because I had a good time with a lot of people I met there and next door at Bodhi's, but my room was way overpriced. I think the shared bathroom was more private than my private bathroom.
If you'd ask me if I would go there again, I honestly wouldn't know.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo