“Incredible Atmosphere!”

and 1 more site!
Samon's Village
Ranked #4 of 88 Kampot B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Samon's is located just up the river from Kampot and it really quite a relaxing place. Yes, you will be staying in small hut. There are geckos, bugs, etc because you are in a western style hotel. This should be expected and as far as I am concerned is part of the experience. The flip side is at night you can sit outside on the porch on the river and just feel incredibly relaxed with the moonlight reflecting off the water while the staff prepares and excellent meal. The one thing that we did not enjoy as much was that the owner was a little pushy on selling tours. We would have no problem with him suggesting some tours, but after we had said we were just going to explore town and the area on our own we continued to be rather insistant, asking us if we'd decided after we told him no. However, the location and atmosphere is well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Samon's Village

Reviewed August 31, 2013

After a lovely 2 hour tuk tuk ride from Kep to Kampot we arrived at Samon's Village. From the first few moments we were comfortable. Samon and the staff were exceptional. Whatever, whenever it was never too much for them. We had the Gourd Room with the inside bathroom. The room was simple but had all we needed. For $12 it was great. We dined a couple of times in our 3 night stay and the food was fine. It rained for most of our stay which meant I didn't really want to do the swing into the river and swimming and yahooing - maybe next time. It was either a $1 tuk tuk ride to or from town or about a slow 15 minute walk which was really pleasant. We managed to check out the other 4 riverside accommodation places and were SOOOO glad that we had picked Samon's. It was clearly the best. We loved Kampot. Found a few great places to dine or have a drink. We went on an outstanding tour to Bokor Mountain (with Buffalo Tours) for $13. It was very well worth it. Our whole time at Kampot was great with the ace in the hole being our home base at Samon's Village.

Room Tip: Get a room with inside bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emuplains
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I'm gonna start with the bad: I paid 12 $ per night for a wooden shack with an outside "private" bathroom attached to it (area with a toilet and "shower", the sides made of blankets and plastic sheets. Only neck high and very inconvenient. Sorry but it was crappy).
Right behind me there was a Khmer family living, so they could see/hear almost everything I did. The water was cold and the first days the water pressure to the showerhead was so low that I had to wash myself under the "bum gun".
There were holes in the mosquito net and the room was dark, even with the lights on. There was no sink and it did not seem very clean (the bin in the "bathroom" was still full of dirty toiletpaper from the previous guests). I never slept past 6 o clock, because the chickens and the roosters were making so much noise.
The good: Very friendly staff, very good and non-greasy food, good smoothies, the sitting area at the river was very nice, right next door to Bodhi villa (good bar and very easy to meet people), nice environment, a good place to come to rest. You don't get bothered.
I have very mixed feelings about this place because I had a good time with a lot of people I met there and next door at Bodhi's, but my room was way overpriced. I think the shared bathroom was more private than my private bathroom.
If you'd ask me if I would go there again, I honestly wouldn't know.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ruud p
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Samon's Village is set on a beautiful river and close to the centre of Kampot. The treehouses/bungalows are very basic but we knew this before we booked, and the bathrooms are shared. The bathrooms are little brick outhouses consisting of a toilet and shower, and the odd lizard or toad! If you're not a fan of being in nature don't stay here we had geckos and a preying mantis amongst other insects chilling in our bedroom :) Service is very slow here but the food is great, the cocktails, however are not! For us, a 28 year old couple it was a bit too quiet and sleepy the saving grace is that we could hire a motorbike for $5 a day and travel around. You can also visit the other neighbouring bungalow resorts which are a bit more lively and the town centre. We recommend 'Oh Niell' a friendly little Irish bar that's like a little Jamaican reggae bar. Also, don't get your laundry done here, they gave it back damp and not properly clean just minutes before we were due to leave (I'd given it them a day and a half prior to us leaving) so they had to go in our rucksacks like that and as a result got mouldy. If you want relaxing this is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night with my partner on our last night in Cambodia. We arrived without a booking but they had room available. They were all rustic bungalow style, and very basic, but sufficient for our needs. It's located right on the river, which is very nice. It's a bit far from town but they have a restaurant downstairs with a nice common/relaxing area. The food was well priced and very tasty. The manager spoke to me a little while I sat at the bar and ate my dinner and he was very nice. The bathroom was all outdoors, but behind a high wall. The shower we had was cold, but it was warm enough outside that this didn't bother us. And we did have a sink and flushing toilet. Our bed also had a good mosquito net. We didn't do a river cruise like we intended and just decided to relax as this place was perfect for that. We had some noise from barking dogs overnight, but this is quite common in Cambodia. All in all, if you don't mind really basic accommodation and are on a budget, this place is a great option in Kampot. Word to the wise, if you are heading in the Vietnam direction, don't use any of the local operators to take you there--even the ones advertised by the hostel. They are all scams. Just get a cheap bus to Kep, the next town, then hire a tuk-tuk driver for $12 to drive you to the border.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KrisLizzy03
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stumbled upon Samon's Village when I was looking for another night stay in Kampot (my guesthouse at Bodhi Villa was full). I am glad I went in to ask about the bungalows because I had a really wonderful stay. Samon (the owner) and his family, staff are very kind and great people. He has built a guesthouse that reminisces his childhood years growing up in a village. So it wouldn't be surprising if you stepped inside the guesthouse to find chickens around, fallen mangoes and interesting re-use of coconut shells and bamboo for the building of its lights, showers, and the bar. He has built a great guesthouse, using the simplest things that you would find in a village. I took a swim in the river in the morning, chilled out at the deck, and had Ban Chau, a classic savory crepe, and even learned how to make it from the staff. Too bad it was only a one night stay, I would definitely come back to his amazing place again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank saucylisa
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Samon Village is an amazing place where it is easy to relax and enjoy life. It is peaceful and quiet, just next to the river and out of the city. I met the owner, Samon, who is really friendly, helpful and who wants to promote khmer culture and sustainable tourism. He kindly came to pick me up at the bus station after my long day on the bus, from Battambang to Phnom Penh to Kep to Kampot. It was really appreciated!

The bungalows are rustic but comfortable, and the village location is amazing. Staff was helpful and friendly, and the communal area was great to meet other travellers. Food was exceptional, one of the best I had in Cambodia. I really enjoyed the weekly cultural event, which was a concert of traditionnal khmer music.

I decided at the last minute that I wanted to stay and extra night, and since they were fully booked, they organized me a bed on the patio... Basic, but really appreciated! :)

I definitely recommend that place!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo