“Basic bungalows, but good waterfront area”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kampot
Olly's Place Kampot
Ranked #28 of 92 Kampot B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Good location by the river, 15-20 min. walking from Kampot town or 5 min. by motorbike, which you can also get at Olly’s. The bungalows are quite small and basic, and nr. 4 is very near the road (better get another one). All have shared bathroom outside. However, the main drag is the riverside bar and restaurant. During the night we could hear the noise of the bar next to Olly’s until quite late, but apparently it is only during weekends.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Ollys place is very nice, quite and calm right by the river in Kampot. Each room is it's own bungalow with shared bathroom facilities. The restaurant and sitting area at the back goes right out onto the water. Olly is a very nice guy and full of information on the local area and has the use of body boards and kyaks for his guests. I stayed only a couple of nights as a last minute booking and he was so helpful. The rooms come with a mosquito net and a fan so although basic, really all you need. Guests are also invited to swim straight from the veranda at the back into the river, I never did due to some wounds on my feet but if I come back I definately will! Oh try the Klang beer, at 6% it's randomly smooth!

Room Tip: Try and book in advance if you can, it gets quite busy for such a small place!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Spicer06
vespa1971, Manager at Olly's Place Kampot, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Hope your wounds are better now so next time I'll throw you in the river...
Cheers,
Olly.

Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We liked this place so much that we extended our stay for almost 1 week!
The rooms are very basic and the bathroom is as well. No hot water and sometimes even no water at all ;).
We paid 5$/bungalow which is good value. The Khmer staff is extremly friendly and helpfull at all times.
The location is directly at the river and there are some surf boards and a canoe free to use! If you stand up early you'll have a nice sun rise ;)
Olly himself is a strange guy. But as he doesn't really work there anymore you will only see him occasionally in the evening when he stops over to drink and smoke (a lot).
A bad thing is that the location next door sometimes plays loud music till 5'oclock in the morning. They opened just recently and I really hope the noise problem will settle.
The food prices are touristic-ok but sometimes it takes a loooong time to deliver.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank skjerns
Reviewed September 9, 2012

A really nice place to stay, different from the more upmarket backpackers that feel a bit too much like hotels. Located next to the riverside and without having built too many bungalows, you will enjoy your bungalow built on stilts, sitting between the trees. Prices for rooms and the (great) food are very reasonable. Many backpacker places are alike, but this one is not.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BluePretoria
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

After all the great reviews we rocked up expecting a cool basic place with good service....in the 2 nights we stayed .PK was helpful and friendly but the owner Olly was rude, lyied round on couchs "smoking" and everytime we asked him something we felt like we were interrupting him, I've been all thru Asia and this by far was the worst service ever!!! These bungalows even thou were very basic and shared bathroom not clean- we could have looked past it if we treated better, we moved next door and was fantastic. Really gutted cause it could have been a good stay, would definitely NOT reccomend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Travel-luvely
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Wow! Right on the riverfront Olly's place is in a great spot. We normally stay in more upmarket hotels - but wanted to experience the traditional backpacker bungalow experience and we were disappointed at all!

A great place to stay if you want to kick back, swim and play about in the river with no hassle from tuk tuk drivers - or anyone.

The price is a bargin and the food and drinks are not overpriced - important as if you want to eat in town you have the factor in the $4 return tuk tuk ride.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HappyTravels999
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed there in the first week of august.
When I came in,I was welcomed by PK,a great Cambodian guy with a hughe sense of humor.
He brought me to my very basic bungalow with very comfortable matrasses. I didnt need anymore.
Olly was swimming and not even 5 minutes later I was standing on a paddle board.
Was just perfect...A bit later I rented a motorbike and went to Kep...
They gave me a free map and a lot of information....
The next day Olly organised a private boattrip with all the other guests and it felt like a big family.
Tharts exacly what Ollys Place is...A little place with a great atmosphere....
Thanks for everything Olly and PK and good luck....

Room Tip: The rooms in the house are above the bar but it isnt a big problem because they close the bar around...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo