“Unfriendly staff, basic breakfast and dirty beach.”
Review of Natural Bungalows

Natural Bungalows
Ranked #52 of 93 Kampot B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We were on a tuk tuk on our way to Samon's Guesthouse (which has great reviews). As we crossed the bridge we saw this lovely sand beach, with chairs, bungalows and a lovely bar. We asked the driver about the place and he said that the name is Natural Bungalows. Very nice place but very expensive, he said: U$40 for a room or U$65 for a bungalow. We decided to treat ourselves and stay here. They only had rooms available.
The rooms are new, nice and clean. However, we found the staff unfriendly and could not be asked to service us. We even put U$3 in the tip box in the hope they would appreciate it and deliver a better service, but it was in vain. There were lots of staff and they were all playing pool. We had to get up from our chairs to order drinks. Also the bins under the table were overflowing and we had to clean it ourselves.

As this was not bad enough when we tried to swim, the beach near the hotel is dirty. I asked one of the guys about this huge bin bag in the water by the beach and he removed from the water and left it on the beach. You would think he would put in in the bin basket?

Regarding the water in the river, be warned: they say it's clean and you can swim in it (which is the main reason we chose to stay here) however we saw lots of litter and even 2 used ladies tampons floating by the hotel beach).

Breakfast is very basic: you can choose 1 item to eat and 1 drink. For the price you are paying it should be a buffet or at least order as much as you want.

Other reviews here say that this is Cambodia and you should not expect great service: in my opinion when you are paying this kind of money (especially in Cambodia) I would expect outstanding service and friendly staff with a big smile.

I would not stay here again and do not recommend it.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mateus C

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed here late 2013 with my partner. Love the relaxed atmosphere and beautiful scenery. Quite rooms with air-con, comfortable beds and clean bathroom. I've read the aforementioned comments regarding this place complaining about lack of service etc. This is Cambodia!!! Meals arriving at different times, no sense of urgency and older technology is the norm. Would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Matthew L
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The views and the setting of the bungalows were perfect for me. The bungalows were ones of the only hotels I stayed in in Cambodia where I had hot water! The bathroom was quite nice - much better than the 8 others I experienced throughout Cambodia. The restaurant was perfect for breakfast.. service was pretty slow - so make extra time. But it was cheap and tasty. The staff were friendly (although maybe not terribly professional?) and the location was very nice. Would definitely stay there again though - one of my favourite places in Cambodia.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmorg94
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as part of an Intrepid tour and have to say, it was my favourite of all the accommodation on the tour. This place is lovely - in a good location, nice and quiet and very relaxing. It was nice to have a good shower that was hot and the bathroom was really clean. Breakfast was so cheap and really tasty! Try the Power Pancakes! Yum! I liked the staff here also; they were always smiling and very friendly. Only criticism is that food took a little while to arrive. I loved my stay here and would come straight back if in Kampot again!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is one of the more expensive places in Kampot and I write midway through a two night stay.

We booked a VIP bungalow at a discount on Agoda, but it is not worth the discounted rate. VIP means a worn bungalow on stilts that is passed its sell-by-date but is secluded and quiet. The bathroom is not VIP in any way with the electric shower leaking down the wooden wall. The a/c unit has a big neon blue light that is on all night and the room shakes as you walk...

All of this would be fine though and even quaint... but the service is what lets the place down. There are nice tables to eat out on three small cabana type areas on stilts in the river which offer beautiful views of the river, but you have to keep walking back to the main bar/ reception area to get anyone's attention. It was a frustrating meal time with our three meals arriving a separate times and strangely the simpliest dish, ordered for our 2 year old daughter arriving last by a country mile to the point where she was full from having picked at ours.

The portions are small - I had the Kampot Pepper steak, cooked well but as good as a starter and I was relieved that I could polish off the food ordered for my daughter.

Breakfast was disappointing with poor service even though staff were checking facebook and there were not many guests and when it arrived they got the order wrong. The baguette was half size the ones we got in Siem Reap for breakfast and the tea arrived late with no milk, sugar or spoons... by the time they arrived we were needing to leave.

Very disappointed indeed so far - will not be eating here this evening and will be planning to buy a second breakfast tomorrow.

Also advised by a local that she would not let her daughters swim in the river because it is too dirty.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Buugsy
Reviewed January 2, 2014

It is nice place with good location and have nice garden but the staff was really lazy to work and unfriendly. I don't know how is could work with this business if you have really not good worker as them. anyway the room was not bad but the air-condition was loud. Breakfast was okay.

3  Thank Mainzer1989
Reviewed January 1, 2014

nice bungalows, water pressure in the shower very poor, strong wifi. location at the river with a little beach. breakfast was average, coffee was good. 15min walk to the lovely center of kampot with good restaurants and nice shops.
the staff is only keen to sell you overpriced trips (entrance fee to kep 5$ extra???) and anything else - please don`t disturb. no information about the area, no service in the restaurant. during our 4 nights stay we wanted to try the restaurant, 3 staff members sat in front of the TV with their backs to the seating area of the restaurant. the other guests and we did not get any attention for more than 30 minutes, even after they noticed us. TV and surfing on their mobiles was much more important. we really stayed friendly but you don`t get a smile or a friendly answer - only if you book something through them and pay their price.
the little beach isn`t worth the ignorant to unfriendly behaviour of the staff so do yourself a favour and choose another place to stay. this was the most unfriendly place in 3 trips through cambodia.
kampot is really nice and we will be back but we will choose another accomodation

Room Tip: choose another accomodation