“Great Setting”

Natural Bungalows
Ranked #41 of 79 Kampot B&B and Inns
“Great Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed here as part of Intrepid tour. Lovely location. Seating over the river - Just be warned at dusk there are a huge number of flying insects. Room had a lot of damp, however I did see some rooms that had been newly renovated and they were lovely. There is no refrigerator in the rooms. Cocktails were delicious and the food good too. However the service was exceptionaly slow but presentation of the food when it finally arrived was lovely. The staff were extremely friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Myself and 2 friends spent 2 nights here in a triple room. The outdoor area on the river is very nice and relaxing, they've done this well. The room was clean, comfortable and big enough for 3 men however, the lighting was hopeless (even with all the lights on), and please, please, please put up some hooks so you can hang clothes/towels up, we had stuff draped over the TV (not ideal), hung on window catches and door handles. With no wardrobe in the room hooks are a must, it would be so simple, and cheap to solve this problem. A safe would've been nice as well.
The staff were excellant and very friendly, thank you.
The 3 of us had one meal each here and we all had something different, sorry NB's but no matter how lovely you present food, which it was, it also needs to be nice and these meals were awful. Consequently, apart from smoothies which were lovely, we didn't eat here again which is a shame because of the very good eating area.
Overall it was an ok stay for 2 nights and the minor faults I've mentioned would be really easy to fix.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here two nights on an Intrepid tour. It was only my group there! Nice to have the place to ourselves!
I believe rooms were about $20-$30 per night. Our room was very new with a large open bathroom/shower. Disco light in bedroom didn't make searching through luggage late at night easy though!

Wifi was strong in restaurant but nothing in room.

Double rooms, upstairs with French doors looked really nice, was tempted to pay a little more to move from shared room.

Doro, the manager, was really lovely. As were the other staff, but they spoke limited English.
Brekky was nice, other meals alright. Service was slow. I recommend the cocoanut smoothie, it was REALY good.

I'd stay again, beautiful, relaxing setting on the river. Amazing views!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank LeishJF
Wangary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We had a lovely time staying at Natural Bungalows. The location is excellent especially in the wet season. We had the best of both worlds - easy proximity to the town 'centre' (about 1 km by road or a lovely walk along the paved river front) and yet serene and a bit special. And the grounds are more spacious than I expected.
I have stayed in other places in Kampot and this one was very good.
For a couple wanting some quiet time it was delightful to sit on the platforms over the water, watching the river craft go by and enjoying the views over Bokor Mountain and the sunset. There was enough privacy in/around the rooms too.
The rooms were clean and comfortable and enthusiastically and individually decorated. It's been a long time since I've slept in a pink room!
The staff were superb - from ringing four times to confirm whether we'd been able to secure a taxi from PP and then to check our ETA - to no less than five staff being on-hand to look after us when we arrived at 10 pm. We assumed we'd be too late for a meal but 'no problem'. The staff spoke very limited English but as we were the only guests and I speak some Khmer that was fine. They offered us a choice of rooms and were wonderful for the two nights were were there. Thanks to Samnang and the team.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flick2009
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

This is a beautiful place tucked away just a few blocks away from the center of Kampot. We stayed here for 2 nights in a bungalow that was more than we imagined. It was a well constructed cute little room with great character. It was clean, air conditioned, and had hot water. It was very peaceful compared to another place we stayed at near the main drag. It is great to sit on the peaceful river for breakfast lunch or dinner away from the bustle of the city. The staff is very friendly and they are practicing their English. Make sure to tell them if you are going to be back late (after 10ish) at night. We got back from a late dinner around 11 pm to find they had locked the gate, and there was no one to let us in so we had to climb over the rock wall to let ourselves in, luckily we are skilled in rock climbing :-) They have plans to build a pool and add more bungalows. Great Place!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura G
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

My driver had a sign for this place in his tuk-tuk so I was not surprised when, after having been able to secure only one night at Mea Culpa, he suggested that I stay here. Might as well let himmake a little extra commission. After securing a special price for me of ONLY $35 he dropped me off and I went for a look-see.
With a location directly on the river and its own sand beach, the surroundings can't be faulted. You are located on the "other" side of town from where the action is and while you could walk there you would probably spontaneously burst into flames before you got there because of the heat. Take some sort of transport. There are bicycles on the property that you can use though I can't vouch for their state of repair as even bicycling was too much of an effort for me. I stuck to tuks.
The leering manager had all sorts of suggestions for my entertainment (nudge-nudge, wink-wink) in view of the fact that I was a solo male traveller, all of which I am proud to say that I passed on.
After declining his suggestions I was given my room key. The set-up of the property is a little strange. There are odd shaped complexes scattered throughout the grounds which each contain different numbers and sizes of accommodation. I think I lucked out as I was assigned to a very large double in a complex where there was only one other room directly beneath me. The aircon worked, there was a TV and a really big bathroom with enormous shower which also worked.
After depositing my luggage in the room I strolled down to the dock which overlooks the river and is an extension of the dining area. It's a quiet setting to enjoy a sundowner while you... watch the sun go down behind the Elephant Mountains.
Not wanting to schlep in to town, I opted to eat dinner at the restaurant. I was the only person to choose this option besides the six Cambodians including the owner who were also there. The food was adequate - the service s l o w. The staff is enthusiastic but lack English skills. Some of my requests were met with blank stares but eventually I received whatever I needed.
All in all perfectly adequate for a single night - especially since I had already spent a day exploring the town and surroundings. You might not want to stay here if your visit to Kampot was only one night as you are a bit away from what "action" the town has to offer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank StephenCopenhagen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here because we wanted a balance between staying in town (in a hotel that might be near the river but without a beach) and staying at one of the numerous bungalow spots 3-5 km north of town (where the beach and grounds are nice and relaxing, but a bit too far from restaurants and shops--Ganesha, Ollys, Les Mengueirs, etc). We wanted to be close enough to town to walk, but still feel like we're on the river & can swim. This is probably the only place that fits that bill.
The room (we got the cheapest one- website said $37 but we paid $25) was clean and fine, but there are rats that scurry across the roof at night and it's really loud. I did not sleep well as a result. The restaurant is fine- decent food and really chill area by the river. Very breezy. Free wifi. Swimming is okay- I bet it's a bit nicer upstream. The owner is extremely helpful. We had a problem with our motorbike on the way to Bokor Hill & he came to where we were when we called him to check it out!

• Stayed April 2012