“Miles and miles away from SHV.”

Ganesha Kampot Eco Guesthouse and More
Ranked #3 of 65 Specialty Lodging in Kampot
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Well where to start. I am based in Sihanoukville and was browsing through the newest addition of the Coastal Guide a free travel hand book here. I was looking at things to do in Kampot and came across a hidden Wat that was not in the last edition. The opposite full page advert was for Ganesha. The advert was very nice and I rang and booked in for 2 nights with my parents 1st time from the UK. We stayed 3. Would have stayed more. After a busy high season here it took a few meals of great fresh food and a few cans to unwind. I had booked 2 riverside bungalows Urts and walking over the gang plank to these round places to sleep I did not know what to expect at all. You enter the room and the bed is set perfectly so that you can lie down and look over the palms. Mosquito coils with lighter, bottled water, fresh towels, stand up fan, mosquito net. The attention to detail was just spot on. My Parents loved it. Burt the dog is great. Emmanuelle (be met) and Stephanie are great hosts and really help you to chill out and they run a great place and restaurant. Try the Crying Cauliflower if you are brave. I certainly cried for sure. My father had fried veggies with cashews and he said it was the best meal he had in Cambodia. I moved to the house for our last night in a double room for just $8.00. The views are fantastic all around this location. Great for photo's at dusk. Ganesha is located between a Khmer Cham Village and Khmer Buddhist Village and they hire from both so you get a real mix on the menu. Could not fault it at all. Waking with call to prayer at 5.30am with the wildlife then prayer at 6.00am was just amazing. I will certainly be back and I would recommend this to any like minded stressed soul. All the best to you 2. Thank you for a great time. Nick.

Room Tip: I am sure whatever you choose as long as you are going to kick back and relax Cambodge style you wil...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kokopelli1979

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Ganesha in February. We originally booked for 2 nights and stayed for 6 - this is how much we enjoyed the place and the company.

Whilst the lodge is a tuk tuk ride from Kampot town this is what makes the place so tranquil and relaxing - nothing but peace and a gentle blowing breeze as you laze your days away. Still if you dont want to laze there are many activities to keep you entertained and Emmanuel and Stephanie are only too pleased to help in arranging these. There are free bikes to cycle into town and the ride through the local villages is a delight.

The accommodation is clean and comfortable - we stayed in a tribal hut where we could sit and enjoy the sunrise and sunset and Emmanuel would even bring us cocktails to enjoy whilst we relaxed watching the sunset. Seriously, nothing was too much trouble for the amazing hosts. We spent many nights playing pool, darts and just enjoying wonderful conversation with the wonderful guests, hosts and staff.

I considered the food to be of great value and the tofu curry was one of the best I ate in Cambodia - I still dream of it now. When we bought zucchini flowers at the local Kampot market (which is great by the way) the chef created a special meal for us to enjoy them - and all this was done with a smile, nothing was a hassle which makes this place so amazing.

Delphine gives amazing massages by the riverside - be sure to have one when you visit - you wont be disappointed!

All in all if you like peace and tranquilty, good conversations, amazing food and delightful company come and stay at Ganesha - it will be a highlight of your stay in Cambodia.

Lastly - take the sunset cruise up the river - at $3 it is a bargain and we saw some of the best sunsets on the river whilst sipping our cocktails - I dont have to say anymore!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ness111
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed there as a group (15 people!), and it was a wonderful experience.
the site is beyond beautiful, and allows everybody to have intimacy . the food is fresh and excellent.
the owners were very accomodating .

Would definitely go back again .

Room Tip: the rooms in the main house (above the recpetion) may be noisy due to the fact the restaurant is jus...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My hubby & I stayed here back in October (proud to be the couple Adam's cocktail was originally made for).. & we still dream about this place. The owners really make Ganesha feel like a home away home. Surrounded by beautiful mountains & right on the river, amongst small villages in Kampot this really is the best place ive stayed in Cambodia (& ive stayed in a few!). Our recommendations have also seen many friends go there, with one looking forward to her 3rd trip in just a few months! I couldnt rate this place highly enough for those looking for somewhere peaceful to get away from the rush of Phnom Penh & remember how amazing Cambodia really is.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Mongolian Yurts and initially were worried about the mosquitos, but amazingl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

if you're looking for a place to unwind and relax, if you enjoy nature and serenity, if you're happy not to be available to everyone in the world (no wi-fi), if you want to be around great and caring hosts and enjoy fantastic food, if you want to feel more like a traveller in Cambodia experiencing some Cambodian life style than this is the place for you. It was for me. I loved it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2013

OMG SIMPLY AMAZING!! We (2 adults and 3 kids) stayed in Ganesha's beautiful Eco Resort in mid January planning on staying only two nights but ended staying for five nights, we wished we could've stayed for 5 months!! You are doing yourself a favour by staying in such a peaceful, scenic part of Kampot. I would highly recommend staying here. We stayed in The tower then moved to the Khmer House where we got to see the best sunset. Rooms and bathrooms were always spotless and inviting with all the hammocks around. The kids absolutely loved hanging out in them in the Tower with 360oC views of Kampot. Thank you Stephanie and Emmanuel for being the perfect hosts. The owners really are genuine and are more than happy to cater to your every need. Nothing was too much trouble especially since my husband had arrived quite sick and Stephanie and Emmanuel were genuinely concerned and helped out with the right medicine. We loved hanging out at the bar and having a great chat about what we did that day while our kids played pool. Now as a foodie I cannot rate the food highly enough. Easily one of the best places to eat in Cambodia. The food was always fresh and so so tasty. From the juices, smoothies and pancakes that our kids devoured every morning. You can't go past the chefs specialties too. It was a real treat to know that after a day of sightseeing we were more than happy to come back to the Ganesha to relax and eat their amazing food. We used the bikes one day to cycle into Kampot, free bikes what a bonus. Another highlight was going for a boat ride and swim with Bart the Boatman. He took us out on his boat on the river and took us to a place not too deep but so refreshing for a swim. Bart even stopped by the Ganesha to pick up my sick husband to see if he was well enough to join us on the rest of the boat trip. We even saw a hornbill. If you want to relax you can if you want to ride a bike or go for a walk or take a tuk tuk you can. It was very easy to wile away the hours here and just chat too. We also took advantage of having the best massage by Delphine right beside the river out in the fresh air. What a treat that was. If you can stay at the Ganesha plan to stay awhile as it's very sad to leave. We will definately be coming back here. We miss you.

Room Tip: The Tower was fantastic kids loved the hammocks.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed a couple of nights in Ganesha on our way to Phnom Penn and although there arent bad things I could say about the place I cannot say That I was thrilled either. Maybe due to the fact we were coming from KOh ROng islands so we were a bit spoiled!
The place is basically a few bungalows on stilts on the middle of a field and near a small river and its owned by a french couple ( most of the clients of the place were french). Its placed right in between a budhist and a muslim area. The ride to KAmpot is about 15 m intuk tuk and it costs about $4.

Things I liked: bungalows on stilts were nice and a new experience to me, they also had two entrances which it gives a nice night breeze coming in. They area very basic accommodation with two Mattresses on the floor a fan (handy for mosquitoes) and mosquito nets. Toilets were shared and they were clean. Restaurant had a wide variety of dishes either western or KHmer food. The landlady was very nice and genuinely friendly and did her best to ensure you felt welcome on the place.
No power cuts at all, which is something rare in some resorts here.

Things I didnt like: , Food although was good was a bit pricey for Cambodian standards. The muslim chants at 5am didnt bother me much ( they lasted only about 2-3 m to be honest) but the music coming from the other side of the field was a different thing. It was a mixture of 2 or 3 bars at the same time and although it wasnt too loud you could hear it until midnight ( at some point i felt like sleeping in a tent on the outskirts of GLasto). For some reason also there was some xilophone playing all night from the budhist side ( i think it was due to the king cremation celebrations). Needless to say none of this things were Ganesha fault and they were just little annoyances. Last thing wifi was very slow but then again this is up to the network nor the resort.
Overall we enjoy our staying just as a relax stop over although I felt a bit bored due to the lack of things to do but this, like I said its not a reason to give bad reviews of our staying.

Room Tip: There is a boat trip on the afternoon to see the sunset on the river for $5
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple