“Your best option in Kampot”
Review of Mea Culpa Kampot

Mea Culpa Kampot
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Kampot
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've stayed in 5 other hotels in Kampot over the years and, so far, this is my favourite. The rooms are very clean, quiet (no street noise) and come with a selection of DVDs. The kitchen serves a very good pizza and salad. And the front of house Cambodian staff seem to have a good idea about customer service! The ambience is relaxed and it's a short stroll the the riverfront bars.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank roamingmelbourne

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here with my wife for 5 days in November. The staff were extremely friendly and made us feel welcome. The rooms weren't THAT luxurious, but in this lazy river town, too nice would be out of place. The beds were firm (which seems to be the normal for Cambodia), but were clean and the compound always felt safe (security guard at night, gate closed). Many guests mention (and we experienced) that the air con units tend to drip water randomly in the middle of the night. One guest told the owner, who said he was aware of the situation, but I don't think fixed it. The only suggestion we have to the owner is to replace the aircon units so no one slips and hurts themselves in the middle of the night.

Tip #1: Ask the staff to rent you a motorbike. It costs about $5 a day ($4 to fill up a full tank on the street) and you don't need to leave an ID.

Tip #2: If you go to Kep (coastal town about 25 minutes away by car- must visit for great food), you can bring back some fresh crabs and the staff at Mea Culpa will make a delicious pizza with the meat.

Room Tip: We had the first room on the right in the main guest house, which we thought would be really bad bec...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mtanney
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This place is an excellent choice if you want a quiet retreat to come home to at the end of the day. Yes, it is at the edge of town (only about a 15 minute walk along the river front to the main tourist area; we had motorbikes), but for me that was part of the attraction. Frankly, the centre of Kampot is a bit noisy at night for my taste. Rooms are clean, nicely decorated and represent good value for money. Personally I found the mattress a bit tired, but it is worth noting I like bedding plush and no one else in my family had a complaint. The only quibble was that there was no blankets on the bed (only sheets), but I suspect they would have provided them if we had remembered to ask. A shared area upstairs had a fridge and tea and coffee making etc. Staff are very attentive (I noticed one reviewer found this annoying) and sweet - like a big family. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and owner. The grounds, while not expansive, are big enough to find a shady corner or for children to play without having to worry. The woodfire pizza is nice, as is the outdoor dining / bar area. Other guests were quiet and respectful. Overall I found it a relaxing and comfortable place to stay, and would probably stay again for this reason.

Room Tip: A new building is being renovated to provide more rooms next door.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Craig L
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was familiar with Kampot from a brief visit in Summer 2010 but I had not stayed at the Mea Culpa before. I taught nursing at the Kampot nursing school for two weeks Summer 2012 and I made the Mea Culpa my Kampot home. Ben and his staff are wonderful. I had a very lovely room which was serviced daily and they provided me with laundry service at a very reasonable cost. I have arthritis and I need a cot mattress on top of most Cambodian hotel mattresses to get a reasonable night's sleep. When I shared this with Ben, he purchased one so that it was on my bed by the time I arrived. The cost of the purchase was nominal and it was such a blessing to have a comfortable bed waiting on me.

I highly recommend Mea Culpa. The food is wonderful: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Who would have thought that I would enjoy one of the best hot pastrami and cheese sandwiches I have ever had in Cambodia!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Karen R
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We've been to Kampot several times, but this was our first staying in town and at Mea Culpa. Considering the low price, I wasn't expecting very much, but it exceeded all my expectations. The rooms were beautiful and very clean. We had a double and single bed in our room, and the double bed came with 4 pillows and the single bed with 2 - gotta love all the extra pillows! The bathroom was also very clean, the water hot, and the towels large and fluffy, a rarity in Cambodia. It was a great place to stay with kids because there is a nice garden area and the restaurant has fresh, wood fired pizzas, so a quiet night of staying in for dinner is a real treat. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda T
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were recommended here and glad we were. We booked for three days and then added an extra night. Our first room was large and had two large beds and everything you could want. It was all spotless and they did a great job each day with the cleaning and supplying fresh towels. The aircon was good and the shower hot. The second room which we had for the one night, as the first room was booked for a long term booking, was excellent, with a king size bed and in the new section with its own balcony and a view through to the river. In a common area outside both rooms there was tea and coffee supplied throughout out the stay. The staff were always smiling and offering to help and the owner,Ben, was very helpful. He arranged a motorbike and when it had a small problem, he just had it replaced for us. He arranged transport for us from Kampot to Phnom Penh, by private car. We had been traveling for a while before we got here and took the opportunity to have the washing done. It was returned beautifully ironed and very clean for $2 a kilo. The guesthouse is a two minute walk from the river and about six minutes to the start of the shops and a restaurants on the front. So convenient enough to get to and far enough away to be very quiet around the street. A great place to stay. Now the negatives............None

Room Tip: Upstairs is best as there is balcony in the common areas that you can sit on.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Micheal1
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights recently and would definitely recommend it as a base for exploring Kampot or just relaxing on a weekend away.

Lovely shady trees and a variety of flowers are planted in the grounds of the property that's located just a short walk to the riverfront.

The rooms are tastefully decorated with comfy big beds, clean soft sheets and good pillows - a rare treat in this price range! Bathroom has hot water with good pressure and both a/c and fan options in my room were useful
to cool off after a walk by the river.

I didn't use the restaurant, but staff were attentive and had good English which made communication easy.

• Stayed: September 2012