Boundary Hill Lodge
$15
Agoda.com
Modern Hotel(Dodoma)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsdining areaamazing viewsmasai villagesamazing placelast stoptoiletlodgetarangiresafarianimalsplainsecosystemsettingblendcamp
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 17, 2009

What a surprise to arrive here after a long trip!
The masai guided us to the lodge at the end of the hill, holding a light, showing the way, and when we opened the door we saw the most beatifull view we've ever seen!
the lodge itself was amazing, the big bed, the nice bathroom downstairs (also with view) and the balcony with bath outside. The day safari in nice Tarangire National park was great, we met hunderds of elephants, giraffes, zebra's and a leopard and hardly any other tourists.
The food and service was absolutely perfect!!!
I was stunned and overwhelmed by this beautifull place and the friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chickZwolle
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I have recently returned from 5 weeks in Tanzania and stayed at Boundary Hill Lodge on two separate occasions.

The combination of Tarangire National Park and staying overnight at Boundary Hill Lodge was one of the highlights of my trip.

On our first visit to Boundary Hill, we spent two nights at the lodge. The accommodation was excellent: the staff was efficient and friendly, the food was very good and the room we stayed in was amazing. It was spacious and overlooked the Tarangire Conservation area. I was particularly taken with the decorations of the room which included framed newspaper articles about Tanzanian history.

I was so impressed with the whole experience that we went a second time, several weeks later, and took my nieces who we had met up with in Arusha. This time we spent a day in the National Park and then the evening and next morning at the Lodge.

The rooms are built on the edge of the hill and all overlook the Conservation area while the lounge and dining area overlooks the National Park. A very unique place!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wendyVictoria
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Hi,

I’m a newbie to this forum ... maybe only a one-off visitor ... but I thought I’d say just a few words about my experience in and around Tarangire NP these past few days. I visited Tarangire many years back and my memory of it was poor experience when compared to eg: Serengeti . But the two days we spent driving around were mind-blowing.

Though (apart from some far-off cheetahs) we saw no cats, we sat and watched innumerable families of elephants, two large (huge!) herds of buffalo as well as the expected impala, waterbuck, giraffe, warthogs, vervant monkeys, baboons etc. And the numerous, diverse, birds were something else!

Between the two days of touring in the NP my partner and I spent a peaceful two nights and a day at a lodge called Boundary Hill. It’s an interconnected group of uniquely designed accommodations with a spacious, tiered relaxation and dining area sited high on top of a ridge looking one way over the NP and the other over a conservation area. Each room has glass walls or patios with endless views. We watched a herd of elephants spend their day browsing across the plain below the lodge. It felt like an island of peace sitting above the ocean of the African bush.

I’ll always remember the time (probably hours!) spent watching the elephants in Tarangire. We happened upon a waterhole at the same moment as an elephant family who treated us to a view of them playing, wallowing and showering in the muddy waters. We watched at the river (while banded mongoose drank from and then swam the river) as thirty or more elephants dug in the sand, drank and then, in a long parade, crossed the wide sandy beach and scaled the opposite bank in the late afternoon sun.

What a privilege it is to have experience this!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mally123
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I booked Boundary Hill Lodge after reading about it in a travel book and reading reviews at Tripadvisor. I was looking for a more upscale lodge in Tarangire National Park and was not interested in staying in a tent. In addition, I was planning a trip with friends who would be sharing rooms, and the only other property that was of interest was the Tarangire Treetops. But I had read reivews that the bathroom was completely open to the bedroom offering little privacy, so Boundary Hill Lodge became my first choice.

I booked my safari through CCAfrica and when I inquired about Boundary Hill Lodge, they were not initially aware of the property. I actually had to send them the website to make contact. But I am glad I pushed to get a room at this wonderful property. I only wish I had spent more than the one night we had booked.

After our rather long drive from Arusha and a game drive through the park, we arrived at the Lodge early in the afternoon. We were greeted by the staff and Simon, the manager, who gave us a warm welcome. The Lodge is situated just outside the park in a concession area high on a hill overlooking a stunningly beautiful valley filled with acacia and baobab trees. The rooms (or villas) are built into the side of the hill and are made of local bricks and concrete. They are quite large and have expansive windows and a large deck complete with an outdoor shower and bathtub. Because of how the rooms are built into the rocks and separated from one another, you feel as if you are far removed from your closest neighbor. The rooms are simply decorated, but clean and well kept. One of the best features is in the bathroom where they have installed a floor to ceiling window in front of the toilet to make sure you are never too far from the fabulous views. While I felt a bit like a fish in a fishbowl, you soon realize that there is no need to worry about privacy as there is no one else around for miles and miles.

Soon after exploring my room, we were greeted by a staff member who brought us some lunch. After a great meal, we walked around the property and then decided to take an afternoon hike led by a masai warrior. Well, we weren't more than 10 feet outside of the lodge grounds when we spotted a mother and baby elephant. It's definitely an exhilarating experience (if not a bit scary) to see large animals on foot. Of course, we gave the mother plenty of space and continued on our way.

After the walk, we prepared for dinner in the main dining room in a building overlooking the other side of the hill. Since there were only three of us at the lodge that evening, we were escorted to a special table set up on a rocky legde which was surrounded by candlelight. The sounds of hyenas could be heard in the distance. It was a wonderful steak dinner served by a friendly staff. We also enjoyed sitting and talking with Simon, our host, who shared some great stories of his Africa experience.

After dinner, we had the rare opportunity to take a night game drive. Although not a planned activity at the lodge, they were testing the idea of running this excursion. I must say, we didn't see much game, but we did see some impala, elephant, and servit (sp) cats which are only seen at night. After the drive, I went back the my room and went to sleep that night listening to the sound of lions and hyenas in the distance. Electricity wasn't working too well that night, so make sure a flashlight or cell phone is nearby your bed. And yes, my cell phone worked almost everywhere I stayed in Tanzania.

I woke up to the sun rising over the savanah...what a sight! There was a giraffe walking across the valley below. After taking a shower outside (which was a bit cold), we had a great breakfast and then headed out to our next stop, The Ngorongoro Crater.

I would highly recommend this Lodge but if the idea of a secluded room in the middle of nowhere with no airconditioning and a rustic outdoor shower is a scary to you, you might want to consider another option. But the service, views, and great food were all worth it for us.

Also, if you are thinking of traveling during August or September, Tarangire National park is a great spot for game viewing. We saw plenty of zebra, wildebeast, giraffe, elephants and lions. It was a great compliment to the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank JDMTraveler
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We absolutely loved this place! We stayed here for 3 nights in early June 2008 for our honeymoon. The location was beautiful! Our room was all windows with a great view of the Tarangire Conservation Area. Even the bathroom had great views!

The staff at the lodge was wonderful. The two women who worked in the dining area were so nice. Moses and a Maasai man (Loeshi?) took us on a great walk one day and we had a wonderful time. We wanted to take Moses, Loeshi and the girls back home with us as they were so great.

We would highly recommend this place. Although it is not in the park itself, it is in the "conservation area" which also has its share of wildlife. The drive to the park is relatively quick though.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ilike2travelallover