Boundary Hill Lodge
    TripAdvisor
    Great 4.5/5
      EMEA Lodge(Dodoma)
      TripAdvisor
      All reviewsdining areaamazing viewsmasai villagesamazing placelast stoptoiletlodgetarangiresafarianimalsplainsecosystemsettingblendcamp
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed October 1, 2012

Boundary Hill was our last stop on a 9 day safari in September, and it was a treat. We did not experience any issues with electric outages or run down rooms- maybe they recently refurbished?

It was nice having electricity and hot water 24 hours. this was our only lodging with that on our trip! the shower was wonderful- good pressure. Nice, comfortable bed with a mosquito net. The highlight for sure was the beautiful views. we had three walls of floor to ceiling windows, and a wrap around balcony where we spent some time unwinding drinking wine.

the staff was wonderful- so friendly and accommodating. Joseph was a great host, spoke good English and had a good sense of humor. One of the Maasai escorts also spoke a little English, so it was nice to talk directly to him (instead of through a translator).

No walking outside after dark without an escort, but this was our standard experience throughout the trip. We didn't mind.

The dining area was exceptionally beautiful. Also overlooked the cliffs. We loved sitting out there looking at the sky- we saw two shooting stars! We just don't see night skies like that at home. Lovely place, great relaxing way to finish our amazing safari.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
      1  Thank SASMAS
      Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent two nights here during a long safari during which we stayed at many places, and this was the only one that disappointed us. The location and idea are really superb, but it seems that it is really poorly maintained and in a state of disrepair. We arrived after dark, and it was quite pitch black going down the stairs to our bungalow, excepts for our escort's flashlight. I realized the next morning that that there were FOUR broken lanterns that could have been lit to help us. Also, the banister between you and a 10 foot drop was broken, wobbly, and wired back into place. Our room had no radio or means of contacting anyone for help after dark.
      The rooms were sparsely decorated, which is fine. However, what was there was not in good shape. There was holes in our towels because they were so old, and there was duct tape holding the screens into their frames.
      The night game drive was comically bad. The vehicle was sputtering and stalling the entire trip, making so much noise that I think all animals within 5 miles of us would have been alerted to our presense. We honestly didn't think we'd make it back up the hill to the lodge.
      The food was respectable. The staff was all very nice and tried very hard, though I don't think they had much training.

2  Thank EAndreev
      Reviewed September 16, 2012

Boundary Hill is spectacular. We stayed for 3 nights at the end of our safari and loved every minute. Each room is a separate cabin built into the hillside, with a balcony looking out towards Kilimanjaro and the sunrise.

The staff are exceptional and can't do enough to help you (or feed you!). You can do as much or as little as you want - we went on a game walk with the Masai, had an arrow-shooting session, went on a night drive and still found time to relax and unwind.

Some of the negative reviews on here seem to be mainly due to the lack of home comforts (electricity, tarmac roads etc!). Remember this is Africa, and to enjoy the unspoilt views and secluded setting the Lodge has to be remote! There are solar powered lights in the rooms, hot water, and if you need anything charged there is a generator so the staff will happily charge stuff for you in the dining area.

I would recommend staying here to anyone who gets the chance - particularly if you prefer somewhere more relaxed and quiet than the larger lodges available.
      Thanks to everyone at Boundary Hill for an amazing time - especially Saif and Danny!

1  Thank Will_W82
      Reviewed September 10, 2012

We loved this lodge, the roads to get there is like much of Africa - pretty poor. The location is fabulous - lodges built into the hill. The rooms are huge, I think I was in no 2 which includes a 4 poster bed, lounge area, desk - a toilet with a full wall of glass overlooking the valley (no one can see you) and a bath complete with good hot water out in the open. What a beautiful experience to lie in a bath watching the skies darken. Electricity was not great, several of my lights weren't working - so take a headlamp and or torch. Remember this is Africa - and this lodge is in the middle of nowhere. We also loved the Masai 'protectors' who walked us to our rooms particularly at night.

The staff were lovely and we enjoyed the food, also the walk with the Masai and the visit to the Masai village - I am already very conscious of how lucky we are but looking at the tiny size of their houses and the hardness of the sleeping platform confirms what a comfortable life I have. I felt quite claustophobic inside.

We loved everything about this lodge and it was a lovely opportunity to rest a little at the end of a hectic two weeks.

Room Tip: One of the rooms - not sure which share a lounge area and porch - it was great for two of our party who felt a bit wary of being totally on their own. I loved my room which is quite isolated but I felt safe - at night a masai walked me back to my room which was great - I think I might have got lost otherwise.
      • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
      1  Thank isa_perth
      Reviewed August 28, 2012

This place was breath-taking. The views were sensational and the staff were fantastic. The guided walk with the Masai was particularly enjoyable. The lodges were massive and the balcony was amazing with a bath! The food was always really lovely and there was lots of it. A great place to stay. Thank you to all the staff at the lodge.