“A slice of heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tarangire National Park
Tarangire Safari Lodge
Sheridan, Wyoming
“A slice of heaven”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Truly a slice of heaven! So peaceful and restoring. I only got to stay one night, but loved the food, the tent accommodations, and the lodge. Annette was wonderfully helpful. Gives a new meaning to 'customer service'. I went on the night drive, morning walk, and 1/2 day game drive with guide Brendan (Annette's son who has lived there his whole life). What a great guide and wealth of information he is! The vehicle we used was open with a canopy on top, which was SO much better than the closed land rovers that the other safari people were using. At one point when we were stopped, a bull elephant walked by our vehicle so close I could have reached out and touched it. Just magical!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Suzie S
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Jambo Suzie S
I love your review title. Happy you found it this way - "peaceful & restoring"
And thank you for all the compliments re the hosting and the guiding. Will share it with Brenden too. May it continue for all our other guests!

Asante sana!
And "Karibu tena" !

A. Simonson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Czech first
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A beautiful location complemented by the friendly manageress/owner and her staff.
We only stayed one day and that was to our regret.
The tented lodges we stayed in were well appointed with full shower and flush toilet facilities.
The beds were extremely comfortable and the overall finish shows the feminine influence.
A member of the staff took time to show us a well-concealed owl asleep in one of the outdoor awnings.
Bar and meal staff and service faultless.
The pool looked fabulous and would be a boon in warmer seasons.
The entrance to the park itself is welcoming and informative with stained glass panels worthy of a look and a photo.

Room Tip: The tented lodges are more than adequate: the "woman's touch" is evident and adds to t...
1 Thank Kenneth B
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Hello KennethB,
Thank you for the Wonderful Review!! And that you enjoyed a 5 star stay.
Happy that you also appreciated the location and.....the pearl spotted owlet? = )

Welcome again for a longer stay next time!

With a hearty thank you!

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 16, 2013

In Tarangire Safari Lodge I spent one night in february; the best night of my life! It was a magical feeling to go to bed, feeling the soft breeze through the tent. I was so exited that I could hardly manage to try to sleep, but soon I drifted off. But then, at about 4 a.m a sound reached me in my dream. A wonderful, wild, sound. I woke up and realised that what I was hearing was a lion roaring! Actually there was several lions, but one of them started to roar and the others joined in and the roaring got more exited and then sunsided. After a while the most excited lion started again and the rest joined. This went on for a while and it was the most incredible feeling to lie safely in the tent and listen to the wildness of the african night just some 50 meters from the tent. At some point I heard hyenas screeming far away and once a jackal screemed just outside our tent.

Even now, about half a year after this night, I still tell my friends and family about it, over and over again. I will never forget that sound, I will never forget that place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nina H
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Hello Nina H,
Thank you for sharing your experience while staying here. = )
Indeed lions roaring at night is an awesome sound.
Happy to hear that you felt secure & safe in your tent.
They are still roaring..... = )

Welcome back for more! = )

"Asante sana"

Port Louis
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We only had one night at Tarangire Safari Lodge last month and it was definitely too short!
We were welcomed with a fresh glass of lemon grass juice/tea, and then there in front of us was the view! WOW! Gorgeous! So many animals walking down below that we cancelled our afternoon gamedrive!
The rooms we were given were on the left wing, and the tents were comfortable and clean, with a veranda overlooking the view!
The food was excellent, and the staff were very gracious and helpful! Thank you to (Loitoli?) in the bar..an excellent service man with a smile :)
We had elephants by our tent in the morning...one scratched itself on the thatch of the tent, no more than 1m away from me :)
The only downside...I didn't stay longer.

Jambo JoBryce,
Thank you so much for the 5 star review! After the recent complaints it is wonderful to read from a "happy camper"! "Asante sana" ! = )
Happy that you saw a giraffe up close - that doesn't happen everyday. = )

I will pass on your compliments to whom I think you mean, Saitoti ?

Thank you and welcome again for a much longer stay next time!

San Jose, CA
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We chose the safari lodge based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor. We stayed three nights in the tents (I am not one for camping so was a bit nervous about "roughing it", but it was very comfortable). Flushing toilet and a wonderful hot shower. The staff were great although service in the dining room could be a bit slow. Although the meals were buffet style, some of the items (like toast, coffee) were brought to your table. The meals were fine... nothing spectacular though. Two things we didn't like: 1) they charged you for the internet which "worked" only in the lobby and didn't work the entire time we were there. So if you are only staying a night or two, I wouldn't bother with the internet. 2) Their boxed lunches were TERRIBLE, the worst of all the places we stayed at during our 8 day safari. Our tour operator said they have complained many times. If you have the option, I would suggest having your lunch at the lodge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Razzmatazz,
Thank you for your review and I like your title. = )
Happy you found your accommodation comfortable and I hope you were able to sleep well.
As I write, we have a technician here at the lodge upgrading our Wifi system so that we can make it faster and free for our guests. Sorry that it was frustrating. I miss the days when tourists could disconnect from it all!
Can you tell me more about the lunchboxes? That will be helpful so we can sort it out right away. Happy to get in touch with your Tour operator too as we have not been contacted in this regard.
Look forward to hearing from you again if possible.

"Asante sana and Karibu tena!"

Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of our safari last month. After all the recommendations here on TA, I was really looking forward to it. The view did not disappoint. I really enjoyed happy hours on the terrace and really loved the homemade salsa and chips. The rest of the food, however, was below average and sometimes inedible. Dinner each night was buffet along with a soup and a dessert. The first night's dinner I found the beef stew and rice to be pretty good. Veggies were okay. The second night's dinner was just beyond bad. I couldn't even eat it. There was some kind of crusted chicken dish that almost made me physically sick. Everything was totally overcooked. The soup that night was potato soup. It looked like dishwater. I was expecting it to actually have potatoes in it. Silly me. And don't get me started on the desserts. We were served apple pie that appeared to be applesauce poured into a frozen pie tart. The next night we were served lemon meringue pie with burned, black meringue. Breakfast was marginally better although scrambled eggs were very runny but the omelet station saved the day for me. We had both breakfast and lunch boxes from this lodge and both were definitely the worst of our trip, filled mostly with bread items. Even our guide ate very little from his boxes from this lodge.

Service at this lodge was good to the point of being overdone. Every two minutes someone was asking me if they could clear something from the table. It became intrusive.

The accommodations were basic but clean and I knew that coming in so I was okay with that. I found it pretty annoying that a lot of people (including us) go on game drives beginning at 6 a.m. yet they don't turn on the electricity in the morning until 6 a.m. Wouldn't it make sense to turn on the electricity at 5:30 so people don't have to get dressed by flashlight?

Small annoyances aside, I loved the view from this lodge and its convenient location inside the part. I could even put up with the over-service. But even though I don't go on safari for the food, I probably would not return here or recommend it because the food was so poor.

1 Thank zihuatcat
Hello zihuatcat,
So sorry for the overall dining experience.
Have promptly taken off that soup & pies from the menu. Appreciate the feedback though I wish I had received it even sooner! And the waiters have been informed not to be intrusive.
Shame the food experience for you and shared with all would drive others elsewhere when it can so easily be sorted. So sorry.

"Asante sana & Karibu tena.@

West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spent one evening at the Tarangire Safari Lodge with our two children, ages 15 and 13. After 10 days traveling around Tanzania, sometimes, with no running water or electricity, this lodge was a welcome respite! The staff was wonderful, the food was excellent (lots of choices), and the view is unmatched. We sat on the patio enjoying the complimentary coffee and tea and watched 16 elephants walk by!

The tents had a beautiful view of the river, and we enjoyed seeing a sunrise complete with hot air balloon when we woke. The showers are marvelous (rainfall showerhead), and the bed was so comfy. Wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Try to get a tent with a view of the river! We had #16 and 17
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Porini64, Owner at Tarangire Safari Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Jambo dkkreiss,
Happy to hear Tarangire Safari Lodge was a welcome respite!
Wonderful to hear all was appreciated and enjoyed! Even more memorable are the wildlife in close vicinity.

A warm welcome back again for a longer stay!

"Asante sana"!