“A proper Africa experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oliver's Camp, Asilia Africa

Oliver's Camp, Asilia Africa
London, United Kingdom
“A proper Africa experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our family visited Olivers just prior to Xmas 2013, 17-19th Dec. 3 things make this place precious. 1) The People. From Jackie and Justin to all the staff it is very special. Our teenagers loved Blessed, one of the most knowledgeable persons on Africa any of us have ever met (animals/plants or otherwise). 2) The Service. From the food to the 'bush television' drinks, it is extraordinarily welcoming and open. The night cameras gave everyone additional insights, (no Honey Badgers this time for us). The crew who got us out when we got stuck in the safari mud were just hilarious. Talk about enthusiasm and swift action! 3) The Ambiance. The place feels and sounds like the Africa you might hope for. You are right amongst nature, birdsong and night-sounds. The layout of the camp and style encourages you to be a 'natural' part of this experience. In short, this is an experience for all ! While this camp may 'peak' in terms of animal density at other times of year as some of the animals migrate further North or out of the park at/after the short rains, there is no shortage of interest. Would love to return and spend more time, maybe as part of a 2 stop tour in Tarangire (north and south). The beauty of the park is hard to put into words. Vast elephant herds, giraffe and beautiful baobab trees make it very special indeed. Worth supporting the camp charity/environmental project too. It looks very forward thinking as well as crucial to the ecosystem.

Room Tip: Any room ! We were at 6 and 7 and the sunset is stunning.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Incline Village, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

This place is absolutely amazing. Everything is top notch- rooms, food, staff, service, management. This was the first of four places we stayed and was our favorite. Their sister property, Dunia Camp, was a very close second. I only wish I had booked the rest of my trip in Tanzania/Zanzibar at Asilia properties. They know how to do things right!

I will add that Jacky and Justin, the managers, are so inviting and accommodating! If you go on safari in Tanzania, do not miss Oliver's Camp.

Stayed December 2013
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

It was our first safari and during our honeymoon in Sep 2012. We read alot about Asilia properties n through Planet Africa Safaris we stayed at Oliver's - our second favourite of the Asilia properties we stayed (1. Olakira, 2. Oliver's, 3. Sayari).

Oliver's is a cosy n romatic camp with 'tents' laid out among tall grass so it's private, but a little scary for us at night :). The tents had wooden flooring, private toilet n a view of the sunrise with elephants in the distance. Showers are outdoors, we weren't too used to that but I guess it's pretty cool bathing under the stars..Service and staff are excellent n even a wake up call accompanied with hot chocolate, coffee n biscuits! Luxury in the bush.

Great for taking walking safaris which we did n night safari drives. Both a must - Oliver's is one of the few camps which offers these. Go go go!

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We discussed how long to stay at Oliver's Camp with Imagine Africa and we're glad we decided on 3 nights. There is so much to do, with walking safaris and night drives from the camp and then the whole of Tarangire Park to explore. Masses of bird species and lots of elephants playing in the swamp. The camp strikes a great balance between the simplicity of tents (actually marquees with every convenience you could need) and the convenience of permanent paths to keep your feet clean. The tents are so spread out that you are really isolated, with only the birds and animals for company. In the evenings, the communal drinks and dinner table let you share experiences and find advice and recommendations from other guests and staff. Excellent, caring staff and great food complete the wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We have been on safaris a few times and have again experienced the Asilia approach on how be of service to guest.
This camp was new for us and the choice of the location just exactly right. Every tent had it own private view. The tent and furniture, simple but exactly what one wants being in nature.
The food was very good and enough variety. We think we had the best guides ever and on top of Paul Oliver the original developer of the camp was with us. He and our guides had an answer on everything.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pim1010
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

We went on our first Safari trip and Little Oliver's was our first -- and by far our best -- stop. We had such a great experience there that we wondered why we were bothering to go anywhere else. We stayed 3 nights, with a walking safari and fly camping on the middle night. The permanent tent was spectacular -- especially the outdoor shower with great views over the bush. Food also very good -- quite a surprise to us out in the middle of the bush!

But for us, what really made this such a great experience was the atmosphere -- friendly, efficient and informative people all around us. Angel and Alex were a great management team, but all of the other people there were wonderful and we really enjoyed talking to them in front of the campfire and during the times we were back in the camp.

Needless to say, our days out on the bush were incredible--mainly because our guide, Richard Joseph, was so engaging, interesting, informative and incredibly patient with us. When we were met at the airstrip, Richard's previous group raved about him being "the best guide ever" -- we weren't disappointed! We saw so many animals on our first morning with him, that we felt we should start paying more attention to birds. Richard's ability to spot them at a distance, and then identify them, was truly amazing -- we never tired of looking at them. And, we did keep seeing many different animals throughout our 3 days there.

Altogether an incredible experience, and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Little Oliver's to anyone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Oliver's Camp was fantastic in every way. I spent two nights there at the beginning of my safari, and in retrospect wish I had three. The scenery, landscape, and wildlife in Tarangire is incredible and there is so much to see and do.

I am a 29 year old female who traveled solo (my sister stayed home for this one) and felt safe and well cared for at Oliver's and during my entire safari experience. I initially had reservations about traveling alone, but I booked my trip through Planet Africa Safaris (thank you, Willow) as recommended by Asilia when I initially contacted them about wanting to stay at Oliver's. Everything was seamless from start to finish. The safari experience was more incredible than anything I could have ever dreamt or imagined.

Location:
From Arusha, it was about a 2 hour drive to the gates of Tarangire National Park, and then another 3-4 hours to Oliver's Camp. I think it usually takes just a couple hours to get from the gate to the camp, but it was the first time I had ever seen zebra, elephants, giraffes, baboons, with my eyes outside of a zoo, so we stopped numerous times along the way to snap some shots and take in the beauty of the landscape. Oliver's Camp was located deep within the park so there is a wonderful remote, exclusive feel, and it is perched above a valley so there was a great view from the tent. The location was so good, I heard lions roaring, elephants trumpeting, buffalo, zebra, and other animals I could not identify all night long that first night. It was thrilling, and a great welcome to the wilds of Africa.

Accommodation:
The "tent" was very comfortable, with everything you could possibly need. I loved how the tent and camp provided what felt like an authentic bush experience. The bed was nice and firm, there was a writing desk, lovely vanity with sink, outdoor shower, and deck overlooking the valley. There were no locks on the doors as this is not needed, and laundry was included and returned the next day.

Staff:
Jacky and Justin were wonderful hosts. They go the extra mile to ensure you have a great time during your stay. Alex, the assistant camp manager, and Blessed, who led me in a walking safari also stand out in my mind as being welcoming and wealth of information and knowledge. I will also remember the laughs with the staff as I was escorted to and from my tent as I attempted to learn Swahili and recount the events of the day (i.e. simba kumi = 10 lions, duma tatu = 3 cheetahs). It was great fun.

Dining:
The food was good. It's hard to imagine how such delicious food can be created in such a remote area. I was impressed and appreciated all the hard work behind the scenes to provide us such wonderful meals. I also enjoyed having dessert at both lunch and dinner!

Walking Safari:
I would highly recommend doing a walking safari. It provided a different vantage point for appreciating the land and wildlife and how they interact together. I learned about hyena dung and why it is white, tracked elephant and lion footprints, learned how to distinguish a male turtle by the shape of its shell, etc. While I saw 15+ zebra jumping into the waterhole for a drink, a couple buffalo, some giraffe, an eland, and impala on foot (which was all amazing), I particularly enjoyed learning about the little details. It added a new dimension and depth to my safari experience. I did my walking safari with Blessed, and later at Sayari Camp met Lewis who also leads walking safaris at Oliver's. Lewis was a one-in-a-million guide, with great passion for the land and conservation, and patience and knowledge that seemed infinite. It would be and invaluable experience to do a walking safari with either of them.

Other:
I loved meeting the other guests staying at Oliver's Camp. There were people from all walks of life and all different countries. It was great to share stories during our time of "Bush TV" (pre-dinner campfire and drinks) and around the large dinner table where we dined communally.

Thank you to everyone at Oliver's Camp - it was truly magical!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo