“Little Oliver's -- Fantastic Experience!!”

Oliver's Camp, Asilia Africa
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We went on our first Safari trip and Little Oliver's was our first -- and by far our best -- stop. We had such a great experience there that we wondered why we were bothering to go anywhere else. We stayed 3 nights, with a walking safari and fly camping on the middle night. The permanent tent was spectacular -- especially the outdoor shower with great views over the bush. Food also very good -- quite a surprise to us out in the middle of the bush!

But for us, what really made this such a great experience was the atmosphere -- friendly, efficient and informative people all around us. Angel and Alex were a great management team, but all of the other people there were wonderful and we really enjoyed talking to them in front of the campfire and during the times we were back in the camp.

Needless to say, our days out on the bush were incredible--mainly because our guide, Richard Joseph, was so engaging, interesting, informative and incredibly patient with us. When we were met at the airstrip, Richard's previous group raved about him being "the best guide ever" -- we weren't disappointed! We saw so many animals on our first morning with him, that we felt we should start paying more attention to birds. Richard's ability to spot them at a distance, and then identify them, was truly amazing -- we never tired of looking at them. And, we did keep seeing many different animals throughout our 3 days there.

Altogether an incredible experience, and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Little Oliver's to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Oliver's Camp was fantastic in every way. I spent two nights there at the beginning of my safari, and in retrospect wish I had three. The scenery, landscape, and wildlife in Tarangire is incredible and there is so much to see and do.

I am a 29 year old female who traveled solo (my sister stayed home for this one) and felt safe and well cared for at Oliver's and during my entire safari experience. I initially had reservations about traveling alone, but I booked my trip through Planet Africa Safaris (thank you, Willow) as recommended by Asilia when I initially contacted them about wanting to stay at Oliver's. Everything was seamless from start to finish. The safari experience was more incredible than anything I could have ever dreamt or imagined.

Location:
From Arusha, it was about a 2 hour drive to the gates of Tarangire National Park, and then another 3-4 hours to Oliver's Camp. I think it usually takes just a couple hours to get from the gate to the camp, but it was the first time I had ever seen zebra, elephants, giraffes, baboons, with my eyes outside of a zoo, so we stopped numerous times along the way to snap some shots and take in the beauty of the landscape. Oliver's Camp was located deep within the park so there is a wonderful remote, exclusive feel, and it is perched above a valley so there was a great view from the tent. The location was so good, I heard lions roaring, elephants trumpeting, buffalo, zebra, and other animals I could not identify all night long that first night. It was thrilling, and a great welcome to the wilds of Africa.

Accommodation:
The "tent" was very comfortable, with everything you could possibly need. I loved how the tent and camp provided what felt like an authentic bush experience. The bed was nice and firm, there was a writing desk, lovely vanity with sink, outdoor shower, and deck overlooking the valley. There were no locks on the doors as this is not needed, and laundry was included and returned the next day.

Staff:
Jacky and Justin were wonderful hosts. They go the extra mile to ensure you have a great time during your stay. Alex, the assistant camp manager, and Blessed, who led me in a walking safari also stand out in my mind as being welcoming and wealth of information and knowledge. I will also remember the laughs with the staff as I was escorted to and from my tent as I attempted to learn Swahili and recount the events of the day (i.e. simba kumi = 10 lions, duma tatu = 3 cheetahs). It was great fun.

Dining:
The food was good. It's hard to imagine how such delicious food can be created in such a remote area. I was impressed and appreciated all the hard work behind the scenes to provide us such wonderful meals. I also enjoyed having dessert at both lunch and dinner!

Walking Safari:
I would highly recommend doing a walking safari. It provided a different vantage point for appreciating the land and wildlife and how they interact together. I learned about hyena dung and why it is white, tracked elephant and lion footprints, learned how to distinguish a male turtle by the shape of its shell, etc. While I saw 15+ zebra jumping into the waterhole for a drink, a couple buffalo, some giraffe, an eland, and impala on foot (which was all amazing), I particularly enjoyed learning about the little details. It added a new dimension and depth to my safari experience. I did my walking safari with Blessed, and later at Sayari Camp met Lewis who also leads walking safaris at Oliver's. Lewis was a one-in-a-million guide, with great passion for the land and conservation, and patience and knowledge that seemed infinite. It would be and invaluable experience to do a walking safari with either of them.

Other:
I loved meeting the other guests staying at Oliver's Camp. There were people from all walks of life and all different countries. It was great to share stories during our time of "Bush TV" (pre-dinner campfire and drinks) and around the large dinner table where we dined communally.

Thank you to everyone at Oliver's Camp - it was truly magical!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SistersAbroad
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Oliver's Camp has a little brother with only 5 tents close by. We spent ONLY two days there we would have loved to stay longer. Angel had everything so well organized and made us feel immediately homely. Food was delicious and there was a friendly atmosphere. We enjoyed a walking safari which was one of the most interesting things we did in our ten days in Tanzania.
The tent was extremely comfortable and we loved the outside shower which was not only nice but thrilling. We enjoyed taking drinks around the "Tanzanian Television " and had a wonderful time.
We would surely love to go back.

Room Tip: Tent 5 this was the tent furthest away from the mess. Breathtaking views!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We had a wonderful two nights at Oliver's Camp. Justin and Jackie are excellent hosts and their staff are exceptional - going out of their way to make our stay as comfortable and interesting as possible. The room had an amazing view and was very comfortable. The camp fire experience before dinner was very special - we enjoyed getting to know some of the other guests before dinner. The food was good but not exceptional. We enjoyed sampling the different house wines each evening. It was fun to take the walking safari and the night safari - highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Visited Tarangire National Park, Tanzania in November 2013. on our way to Serengeti NP.

From the 6 locations we used during our 2 week trip Oliver Camp stood out as the best. The camp overlooks a valley with many animals. They can come into the camp!

The food is excellent, a quality level you would not expect in the middle of the bush.
Camp management eats with the guests and provides lots of background info about the wildlife.

I certainly recommend the nature walk that allows you to go intok the valley under the guidance of a Ranger, a Masai and a nature guide. Walk in between the local wildlife. Exciting!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AriedeG
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Like a few of the other reviewers I was expecting something more, what exactly I'm not sure of but something. The tents and outside showers were stunning, it was great to be able to share a drink with our drivers around the fire and we met some interesting people but the food was only ok and maybe we just didn't have enough time here to truly enjoy it. The staff were Also very friendly and helpful when needed.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 29, 2013

After reading the reviews we had very high expectations for this camp. I had real difficulty with this review because in many ways our experience was a 3 at best; however recognizing that sometimes a stay just doesn't "click" I gave this camp a 4 based on the beautiful spot in Tarangire and the must do walking safari (more below). We unfortunately arrived at a change over in the vacation management and this resulted in some issues. We were given the incorrect start time for the walking tour (7:00 which is correct if you start at the camp but 6:30 if you are to begin at the fly camp). We had a rushed breakfast only to get to the fly camp and sit for 20-25 minutes - we had been told we needed to leave because the fly camp couple had to get to the airstrip - we could have eaten breakfast). We experienced stomach issues day 2. There was no manager on site when this occurred and we had great difficulty explaining to the staff our need for lots of purified water and toast. Additionally our tent was extremely hot in the afternoon and made rest difficult. Our tent would not cool off until 2 or 3 in the morning. We found the food average. We stayed at an Asilia property in the Northern Serengeti and the food was excellent and offered great variety - not so at Olivers. Lastly I want to comment on the walking safari. This was definitely a highlight but do know you walk 6-8 miles over 2 -3 hours and it can be dangerous - we ran into a situation with Cape Water Buffalo that was in a word scary; however, we were glad we did it but for me it is a bucket list item checked never to be done again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
#9 of 29 in Tarangire National Park
Lemala Ngorongoro Tented Camp
Lemala Ngorongoro Tented Camp
#17 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Been to Oliver's Camp, Asilia Africa? Share your experiences!