“First Stop - set the expectations for the rest”

and 1 more site!
Tarangire Sopa Lodge
Reviewed January 28, 2007

This is was our first stop once leaving Arusha. It really does have a wow factor as soon as you walk into reception. The views are brilliant and everything is so big you can sit and feel as though you are completely alone. The sofas in the bar were a favourite of mine i loved to sit in the armchair with my Coffee overlooking the plains writing my diary and nobody would ever interupt me.

The food was good out of two nights we had waiter service twice and buffet service the rest of the time. The rooms were large and very comfortable the bathroom impressed me the most i could do with one that big at home!! There was a safety deposit box in the room that you could enter your own code on arriving just remember to leave it open when you leave so they can re-set it!

There is a pool but unfortunately due to such a busy schedule and rain we were unable to make it down there.

There is a reasonably priced shop on site. There is no mobile coverage so if you are big communicator this could be a pain. It didn't bother me but my mum was on tender hooks as my sister was due to give birth any day!

Towels were supplied as always.

I loved all the sopa's even if they are big they certainly are worth every penny.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
8  Thank WinchesterWonderer

Reviewed September 22, 2006

Having stayed for three nights at the Serengeti Sopa and thoroughly enjoyed our stay we were surprised to find out the last night of our lodge safari was actually in a glorified tent in Tarangire.

I've nothing against tents, but on Honeymoon I wanted a little more comfort and privacy. So I quickly launched a move to get a room at the Sopa in Tarangire - and what a good move it was.

The Sopa's high standards were in evidence from the moment we arrived. The staff had been made aware that we had shifted to get into the Sopa instead and fell over themselves to ensure our comfort. The manager even came to the room after we checked in to ask if he could help us in any way and if we had everything we needed. That sort of personal touch is something so lacking in most parts of Europe.

The room was smaller than the Serengeti equivalent, but the bathroom much better. This room also had a fan so it helped to cool us down after a very hot day. The food was again superb and the quality of staff service was excellent.

The view is more limited with a hillside close to the complex. But the pool was superb and the whole place was clean and tidy. Being Tarangire take insect spray for the room because the mesh does not guarantee a mosquito-free night so close to the river and pools. But you can stay at this Sopa and enjoy high standards in complete confidence.

In fact, I recommend anyone thinking of lodge safaris to book the Sopas for their stays at Serengeti, Tarangire and even Ngorongoro (although we did not stay at that one - more's the pity).

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Tony_Sharp
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed in the Ngorongoro and Serengeti Sopa Lodges but this was the best, possibly because its the newest. Great site in a very beautiful and picturesque park. The pool was refreshing. We had lunch buffet around the pool which was good. The food in the hotel was excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. The managers took time out to make sure you were fine. One evening at sunset i went out to the resturant/bar veranda and there was a massive bull elelphant about 20 feet away just browsing, he stayed for about 20 minutes then wandered off. This apparently is quite regular along with lions visiting.

The rooms were spacious and the mozzie nets went round both beds and table which helps, this is not the case in all lodges.

Other wildlife around the hotel included monkeys and birds.

• Stayed: June 2006
14  Thank Whadders
A TripAdvisor Member
portland OR
Reviewed May 1, 2006

This was the first of three hotel I stayed in Tanzania. The hotel was in a great location.
The staff greets you with hot towels and cold drinks when you arrive. My room was very large. As I found all the rooms in Africa. Much larger than most US hotels. They were like suites in most cases. The food was wonderful. Lots of selections the portions were large much larger than what I eat. The wait staff was great about bring you smaller portions if you requested it. No ATM in the lobby. The front desk did take travlers checks. I found it better if you had just good old USD. They do take our currency. They will not take the Keyna Shilling. Just remember that when traveling between the two countries.
Water presser is pretty low. You sometimes have to flush three or four times. Hot water only from 6-9 each day in the morining and in the evening. They do run out of hot water. The water isn't real hot like we are use too. I did enjoy this hotel very much.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Cheshire
Reviewed February 6, 2006

I have never been to Africa before and had no idea what to expect. Arriving nervously in Arusha and being whisked out into the great unknown. Tarangire was my first stop and will always be magical for me. Driving through the most breathtaking landscape ranging from towering hills to huge open savannahs punctuated by mighty baobab trees. The wildlife spectacular with herds of elephants, larger than I could ever have imagined being the highlight. Tired and dusty we arrived at our Oasis for the night. Out of nowhere emerges this amazing structure, hidden away until you are literally on top of it. The public areas, large and expansive, light and airy giving the most incredible views of the seemingly ever escaping horizon. The accommodation is in round houses and is comfortable and spotlessly clean. My room had two large beds and a ceiling fan which was perfect for the high temperatures. Staff were wonderful, Tanzanians seem to be such happy and genuine people with incredible memories. They remembered my name and I was greeted personally at every corner. Throughout my stay here and at other lodges in the group I kept thinking, how do they do it? How do they provide such services and lodges in such remote locations? Top Marks!!!!

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 24, 2005

Before coming to Tanzania, I had no idea what to expect in the way of hotels and expected something quite primitive. I was presently surprised by all of your lodges while on safari. They were all unique and had character. Each room/lodge provided everything you would need. If you come to Tanzania, expecting the Holiday Inn or a JW Marriot, you will be sadly disappointed. Go to Tanzania for the experience with no pre-conceived notions and you will high enjoy yourself! A safari in Tanzania is one of the greatest vacations and an awe-inspiring experience!

The Tarangire Sopa Lodge was nice and my husband and I enjoyed our stay. Before arriving, I knew there are specific rooms that are on the first floor, but feel like they are in the basement. I have read to beware of rooms #9 to #35. Fortunately, we had a higher number room on the second floor with a view of the pool area. Each room was large with a large bathroom. There was a sitting area when you entered and two queen beds in the main room. The balcony had sliding glass door. The normal mosquito net surrounds the beds. There was no air-condition in any of our lodges. The evening and nights are cool due to the dry air. With screens over the windows and on the balcony, you can leave them open and be quite comfortable. This was our only room that had a ceiling fan. It was definitely needed since it gets quite warm during the day and there are more mosquitoes here than other places. All the lodges must generate their own electricity, so the lights are usually dim. There is also hot water available for a limited time at night and in the morning. You are dusty after all day on safari and want a bath when you get back, so we had no problems. A blow-dryer was in the room.

Out of our entire trip, the Tarangire National Park was the warmest location. I won’t exactly say it was hot, expect during the middle part of the day with the sun blazing.
We arrived at the lodge at lunch time. After seeing our room, we ate lunch. The lunch was a buffet for salad and desert and entrees were ordered from a menu. The food was good. The dining room was very warm during lunch. Because the animals sleep during the hot afternoon, we had time to lay by the pool or swim. It was the only day of the whole trip that I actually put on my swimsuit. The pool water was cool, so I did not go swimming. My husband did though and really enjoyed himself. There was nice, cozy lounge chairs with big towels all around the pool area. After lunch, the electricity was turned off since most guests are not around during that time. This did not bother us since there was plenty of sunlight in the room.

Remember the lodge is located in the Tarangire National Park, so animals are free to roam around the hotel. We saw water bucks right below the deck of the pool. There was also rock and tree hyraxes everywhere – in trees, on the lodge roof, everywhere. Hyraxes are quite cute and harmless animals. The tree hyrax is brown in color and slightly smaller than the rock hyrax.

The lodge (like all Sopa lodges) has a sit down menu for dinner with a few choices for each course, except soup. You either want soup or don’t want soup. The service in the dining area was good. During our dinner, the lights went out and then we heard loud drumming. Several waiters/waitresses march in singing a traditional song with a torch and drums. They marched directly to one table to wish a guest happy birthday!
The lodge has a nice size gift shop. I found several pieces of silver jewelry here that I really liked. I looked at all the jewelry in each lodge shop and found this shop to have one of the best selections. One piece of advice… My husband and I wanted to buy some souvenirs and thought we would have time to stop in Arusha, but we did not have time and never stopped in town. If you want to buy souvenirs, don’t wait; just buy them at the gift shops. I was glad that I did buy a few things (silver jewelry, cravings, etc.) at the lodge gift shops.

At check-in, you are warmly greeted and given fresh juice and a warm washcloth. This was exactly what I needed after the long extremely and bumping trip to reach the Serengeti Sopa Lodge. After a long day on safari, you can come back to tea or coffee and snacks. Upon check-out, you will be greeted right outside your door by one or two people waiting to carry your bags. Don’t forget to tip.

Also don’t forget to enjoy the beautiful Tarangire National Park. This is the best location to see lots of elephants up close. It was fitting for us that after spending our last day on safari in this park, we saw one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen in my life!

• Stayed: September 2005
22  Thank alturner007
Reviewed July 11, 2005

Having read Jeremys recent review, I quite agree. We were there at the beginning of June and I too was surprised at the standards of the hotel bearing in mind the resources available.

Yes - you must try and get a 1st floor room and I agree the food is a little limited. The bar was very impressive.

However, my real surprise was after dinner when I bumped into a very casually dressed security guard brandishing a fully loaded AK47 assult rifle. Having some experience with army rifles he let me dismantle the gun and take out some of the ammo!!!

I also spotted similar guards positioned along the roads on the way to the crater.

Who or what was the threat???

Stayed: June 2005