“A little piece of heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tarangire National Park
Lake Burunge Tented Camp
Ottawa, Canada
“A little piece of heaven”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I loved this place. I did read past reviews and wouldn't have liked to be a small group or couple here while OAT was "in the house", but as I was on an OAT trip, I loved it. I no longer camp rough at home so enjoyed the upgrade to running water and in tent shower; and had no complaints about bugs or canvas walls. Sharing the place with the Dik Diks and birds was great. My deck view was somewhat blocked by trees, so I made a point of scurying down to the main deck to catch the sunrise - usually with a guard trying to catch up as I wasn't expected to be out before full daylight. I had one of the furthest tents so enjoyed the solitude. There seemed to be some generator noises at times which was a little rude, but I was glad to see the solar power. The hot water was so hot, I didn't even use it, as the "cold" was warm enough to be refreshing after hot game drives. They supposedly improved the road this summer, so I didn't find the drive in any more difficult than other dirt roads. Staff was good as was the food. Some people had a massage and said the masseuse was great. The Very Good rating instead of Excellent is because it is typically a "group" camp and wouldn't be nice as a romantic stop.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Quiltingmamma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed here at the start of our safari in Tanzania. First the plusses: its a beautiful location with a good view of the lake Burunge. And the staff try their utmost to make you feel at home: no it isn't the Waldorf, but they are helpful and friendly.

Our bungalow was clean, had all the facilities and everything was in fine working order, perfect after a long day in the car.

The food was ok: not brilliant, but plenty of it :).

We experienced no problems with paying in the local Tanzanian shillings, and the drinks prices were ok.

One thing to note though: if you don't like tour groups, stay away. This camp is a favorite of US OAT groups etc. No big problem, but not our thing...doesn't make it very romantic.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SabineNL
South Carolina
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We totally enjoyed our 2 nights here. Comfortable; scenic and just what we needed to experience Africa on our safari trip. Our tent had a raised floor and two comfortable beds with mosquito netting. Attached bathroom. Porch on the front that gave us a view of the lake.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank CalicoTraveler
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed September 14, 2010

The camp at Lake Burunge was a delightful place to stay. The tents were very nice and clean and the staff was very helpful. The only drawback is that the planned entry to Tarangire National Park is not currently open, so there was a fairly long drive to tour the park. The drive was worth it though as the park is wonderful (especially in September I hear). Food was quite good and we enjoyed seeing and hearing animals around the camp.

• Stayed September 2010
5 Thank aub
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I loved this camp. I went on an OAT trip and this was the camp we stayed at while touring Tarangire Park. Yes, the road to the camp was winding and bumpy, but this is Africa. When we arrived, they had cold towels to wipe our faces and fresh squeezed passion fruit juice.

The staff was friendly. I loved the tents on the platforms. The rooms were clean and spacious.

We took the nature walk with the Maasai warriors and were surprised by a badger jumping out at us from a termite mound. It was the highlight of my trip, mostly from the amusement they seemed to glean from my screaming. They knew my name by the end of the walk. the end of the walk culminated in a trek up a stone hill which gave us an expansive view of Lake Burunge and the Great Rift Valley. It felt like we were the only people in the world.

This camp felt authentic. This is what I wanted when I traveled to Africa.

• Stayed August 2010
6 Thank mrscherry2000
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed April 8, 2010

This is the way to "camp"! The tents are permanant structures, very large, w/ real beds, flush toilets and showers. The main area is awesome and the staff were all great. The food was good, not spectacular, lots of delicious veggies!
Don't know if it was the time of year we were there, but the lake was quite a way off in the distance, I was hoping to do some canoeing or fishing, but we couldn't even get down to the lake due to the mud.
The drive in was fun!!! Yes it was long and bumpy, but we saw tons of beautiful birds along the way and yes, it was in the middle of nowhere, but that added to the experience in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2010
5 Thank Baskaat
MS
Reviewed July 20, 2009

This trip to Tanzania was 40 years in the coming and one of the things I didn't expect (or want) was luxury hotels - I can get those anywhere. Staying at the Lake Burunge Tented Camp gave us the feeling that we were really in Africa without having to forgo hot showers or flush toilets. Personally, I thought these were pretty classy "tents." They were up on wooden platforms and were covered by a thatch roof to keep them cool. We each had a covered porch with comfortable chairs and a table overlooking a lovely view. I also strung up a clothsline there for a little laundry. The beds were comfortable and the tents were clean. At night, we were always accompanied to our tents by an armed Masai warrior (armed with traditional spear) and I never felt unsafe. I was on an OAT tour and no matter where we were, the food was excellent and this was no exception. I would have no hesitation recommending it.

• Stayed July 2009