“Loved My Stay”

Ranked #9 of 76 Hotels in Greensboro
Dacula
“Loved My Stay”
Reviewed February 6, 2007

the hotel was smaller than i thought. only has 20 some rooms, but that did give a more english look and feel.

the hotel room i booked was a queen and when i checke din they had upgraded me to a king bed for free. this was a nice surpirse. the room had everything i would expect to find in a four star hotel. the room was very clean and the bathroom was a little small compared to most hotels but it had everything i needed and then some extras as well.

the front desk staff always greated me as i walked in or out of the hotel. they helped me with bags and box's that i was bringing in from my shopping trips. the housekeeping staff went out of the way to help me with my needs such as extra towels and shampoo and soaps.

i did meet with the owners that are very kind indeed. they sat in the lobby with me and chatted until my friends came. they all so greeted me every morning and chatted wiht me in the breakfast room every morning.

Deocrated very nice and had no starnge smell at all, the elevator that people talk about on these reviews are incorrect. the elevator is great. it dates back to the early 1900s after all and is a part of our history and i was glad to see it still at the little hotel. but do watch yuor fingers in the gate part.

i will sugest for anyone to stay here at this little hotel. i was shocked how much i enjoyed staying there. usally i like a brand new built hotel but this hotel has changed my mind on the staying only in new hotels. i feel in love with the place. i wish i owned it.

• Liked — the small feel of the place.
  • Disliked — only has one computer int eh business center
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank gsooutatthemovie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 14, 2006

Old-world charm. High ceilings, grand furniture, attention to detail make this a prime spot in the downtown. I was getting reading to go out for a Saturday night, when some Spanish wine, strong cheese and crisp crackers lured me into the main room. Stayed an hour and chatted with other guests. I'd read the earlier rants about the place. Maybe it's been fixed. Maybe the writers were wrong. The place was truly distinctive, from it's first-of-its-kind-for-Greensboro automatic elevator to the stories history of the building as told by the night clerk. I'd upgrade the soap from Ivory, but other than that, this place is a find.

• Liked — The sense of place
  • Disliked — Ivory soap
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring nicer soap
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank DanRubin
Raleigh
Reviewed August 20, 2006

A few weeks ago I stumbled on this site and was surprised at the reviews for this little hotel. So when I wrote the previous review I stated I was going to be staying there again and would look much closer this time and post my experience.

I stayed on the second floor this time and the room was just fine. The carpet was clean and appeared new, the 4 poster bed looked great and was very comfortable. Everything was clean and without any bad smells that you sometimes find in old hotels.

I was treated very nice during my stay. The manager was very helpful and was able to make recomendation on several of the local businesses. Check in was easy and friendly. I read one review complaining about the old elevator. Well I did have some problems trying to get into the lift with my bags, but I suppose the old sliding gate is part of the charm.

There is a small managers reception every evening in the lobby which consist of a few bottles of wine, crackers, cheese, and there may have been beer earlier, but I'm not sure. Nothing fancy, but just the same it's nice to have a glass of wine while waiting for others to come down for dinner.

Parking not a problem since there is a free multi-story parking garage right across the street, or if you are luck there are a few street spaces in front of the building.

Was everthing perfect? No, but there were only minor things such as the stopper was missing from the old style sink in the bathroom. Also there were water marks on the vanity as a result of someone over filling the sink . And the wallpaper had a few loose areas and a whole where someone had pulled the toilet paper holder from the wall. Now there is a free standing paper holder in the bath room.

So did I enjoy the stay,? Yes I did and just finished making another reservation for a return trip next month.

-Emma,

• Liked — Downtown location, extra friendly staff
  • Disliked — elevator
  • Tips/Secrets — Early reservations and enjoy the historic downtown area
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank EmmaNC
Reviewed May 24, 2006

Nothing can be said for this hotel. Without going into the entire experience, know that this is NOT a reputable place to stay. I have made complaints to the Better Business Bureau, The Chamber of Commerce, our credit card company, the Greensboro Convention and Visitors Bureau, and will continue to complain to anyone who will listen in order to keep this hotel from continuing to dupe customers.

You can see by the extremely defensive (and grammatically incorrect) responses below the caliber of professionalism you will be dealing with. I can guarantee tha the owner of this hotel does not rely on repeat business. I expect this review will have the exact same type of defensive idiocy for a response, so please disregard anything that John Johnson has to say as an outright lie.

We had guests still in our room when we arrived. We were moved to another, dirty, smaller room. We were moved again to a nicer room where the shower, sink, nor toilet worked properly.

They owner refused to speak with us, did not return our calls, ran our credit card anyway, and hung up on me 3 times when I tried to call and discuss our problems. We have made various good faith efforts to resolve this problem to no avail.

John Johnson will not issue any refund or do anything to help resolve the issue. Your money is best spent ELSEWHERE.

Read the reviews below, and see who's really telling the truth.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 24, 2006

looks "quaint and cute" but this is a terrible place. Staff really try to make it work, but the owner is defensive, evasive, and the hotel is absolutely awful.

Don't stay here.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Clearly from the spelling and grammar mistakes in all of the owner responses, you can get a taste of the caliber of professionalism you are working with here at the Biltmore. I will, however, add my review to the long list of other dissapointingly awful ones you have read thus far.
Upon arriving on a Friday afternoon we were given a key to a room that, surprise surprise, still had occupants! This room had hard-wood floors, a canopy bed, and though still tiny, enough room to move around in. We were then moved to a room one floor below this one that was actually ready for someone to check in. The new room, however, had stained carpet, a hole in the bathroom wall, and old furniture all piled into an even smaller room. We then requested getting the first room back when ready and were told that the owner had already checked someone into that room. After complaining of this 2nd room we were were assured by the front desk staff that we would be moved immediately following check out to room 114, which she stated was much more comparable to what we had originally booked. We were moved, as stated - THE NEXT DAY - to a room that was as nice as the first, except for the fact that the shower head was hanging from the wall and did not work, neither the sink nor tub would drain, and the toilet had to be reset inside the tank between each flush. When checking out we were told that the person at the desk was not authorized to discount but that she would "never pay full price after all this" and we would get a call from the owner that afternoon. Never got the call. The total amount was instead charged to our credit with no response from the owner. When we called to discuss this we were told by the owner that we would never get a refund, he was done with the conversation and we were hung up on a total of three times. I'm sure there will be some rediculous defensive response to this just as with the other terrible reviews, but come on, go with the obvious when deciding whether or not to book this disgusting place.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 9, 2006

I booked a room at the Biltmore Hotel for my boss on the same day he would be arriving because he was attending a meeting in Greensboro, NC that we found out about that morning. Later that afternoon, the meeting was cancelled and I tried to cancel my reservation. The manager/owner of the hotel said that he could not give us a refund. I felt that it should have been provided as a courtesy to the customer given the circumstances. I will never book a room at the hotel again!

Devin Lowery

Stayed March 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this review, April 19, 2006
I took this reservation myself. When the woman called in at early am and made the resrvation I made it clear to her that we had a large conferrence inteh city (the men's ACC basketball game) adn that we have a24 hour cancaellation policy and her reply to it was we are going to need the room.

Then at the end of the business day she calls back in to cancel the reservation due to the meeting ended earlier than they thought. I had already turned down 20 some calls in for people looking for rooms. I told her that if I can re rent the room that they would nto be charged for the room since she was calling back to cancel so late. The room was nto re-rented so the charge stood. I did not have any other calls for reservations after she called into cancel the reservaion. She was explained this up front and fully was wawre of this at timeof booking the reservaion.