“Not your run of the mill business hotel”

The Biltmore Greensboro
Ranked #8 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The place is old and charming. From the moment I arrived for a business trip, I felt very welcomed and taken care of. Wine tasting in the evening and a nice continental breakfast in the morning. I read the "haunted" comments and had a chuckle, clearly there is a lot of history but I was a little sad I didn't "feel" anything. The only downside is the location for an evening out. We walked but didn't find much open for dinner, most establishments had closed early in the day. Check out the elevator...

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
biltmoregreensboro, General Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for your kind words and thank you for staying with us. We look forward to see you again in the future! the Downtown store and restaurants do have odd hours, especially on Sundays and Mondays.

Best Wishes,
Brian Coleman
GM

Reviewed June 12, 2013

It was clean and comfortable, with a nice staff and historic building. The value was good, and there was a complimentary wine hour in the lobby, as well as continental breakfast in the morning in a small side room. The best part was that it was right near the downtown, where we could walk to lots of shops and restaurants. There was a computer and printer to print boarding passes before we left, and the staff was most accommodating with calling cabs, etc. I would recommend staying there again. I think it would be good for a single person because it is such personal service, and being small it's pretty private and homey; they seem to look out for you. We were attending an event 2 blocks away, so it worked out very well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
biltmoregreensboro, Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you so much. If you are ever in Greensboro again please let us know. Our door is always open.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for a surprise with my husband. I had a romance package. Flowers and chocolate covered strawberry's. The room was cozy but faced an alley. Not too loud but what did I expect from an old hotel. There is an OLD elevator. This place is in the heart of Greensboro so your near everything you would need and then some. Breakfast was plain and simple. Nothing to write home about basically. Front desk associate were nice though.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Biltmore looks to be a very charming hotel from their website. I will agree that the lobby is cozy and well done, but the room I stayed in was not so much. The bed was not comfortable, the pillows were very flat, and it was not easy to manage the temperature and fan in the window unit.

My main concern was my personal security. I was coming into the hotel at late hours and, just like everyone else, had to park in the city garage across the street. This might have been OK during the day but late at night, when there are no attendants in the garage and no one monitoring the street area, I felt very vulnerable. I ended up calling my husband so he could stay on the phone with me between car and front desk, just to make sure I got there OK; fortunately, I did.

The second morning I was there I walked out and there was a homeless man hanging around. I am from San Francisco and am used to that, but would prefer to stay in a location where there are no loiterers.

The room i stayed in was not bad, it was a reasonable value I suppose. The bathroom was fine but there was no hot water the second morning of my stay, which made showering less than pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
biltmoregreensboro, General Manager at The Biltmore Greensboro, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

We apologize for any inconvenience that you were caused. The parking garage is safe, we and the parking garage set adjacent to the city courthouse and police station. If it was late at night and any quest request to park in the alley by the hotel it would had be granted. We take the comfort and the safety of our quests very seriously. I can not address the hot water issue for it has not been an issue for us in several years.I will say that our building has a mind of its own time to time. If there is ever any issue that a guest has we will address it immediately and find a solution that best fits the needs of our guests. The beds are less that two years old and are pillow top ultra plush. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your mind . We do look forward to seeing you. Thank you, Brian Coleman GM

Reviewed February 21, 2013

As mentioned by others, this hotel has seen better days, but is clean, pleasant, somewhat historic, and centrally located. Beware of a room off the alley, which at least half are, unless you enjoy the early morning sounds of garbage and other trucks. Typical of the age of the place, there is very little water pressure. Not a bad choice, and my only tried in Greensboro, but I think it is likely that you could do better. Had really good breakfast pastries, complimentary, though.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms off the alley.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ChiHipster
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We visited Greensboro to visit with a sick relative. The hotel is in a great location if you want to hang out downtown. Parking is across the street and validated by the hotel. Check in was a breeze and our room was ready at 4pm when we arrived. Our room was on the first floor in the back of the hotel. The room was a decent size with a king size sleigh bed, flat screen, frig, and coffee machine. The bathroom had plenty of clean towels. The breakfast in the morning was good enough; coffee, cereal, bagels, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, and orange juice. We missed the wine in the evening but the set up was nice. The elevator is charming and we took pics.

Cons: I understand the comments about the rooms being nosey..a bus runs past the hotel and if your room is in the front and you aren't used to noise that could be a problem. We stayed for two nights and our room wasn't cleaned once. The bathroom lacked amenities...wouldn't be a problem if the price point wasn't $120 a night. At that rate, I expect a made bed and fresh towels and soap daily. The water pressure in the shower was barely more than a trickle and temp seemed more like hot or cold.

All and all...its a 100 year old hotel. Feels like your staying at grandmas...if grandma lived around the corner from a few dozen bars, restaurants, and coffee shop. I would stay again, though not for more than $80-90 a night.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I chose this place based on location and because reviews seemed OK - only here for one night for an event and wanted to be able to walk to Natty Greens Brew Pub, which is right around the corner. However, area right around hotel is sketchy at best. Lots of questionable people loitering around outside, and the front door does not lock after hours. One woman outside yelled at us because the front desk manager inside wouldn't give her matches.(She was NOT staying at the hotel - just hanging out on the front steps). And there was police action inside the parking garage, which was disturbing leaving my car there after that. Inside, the Biltmore is old - but in a deteriorating versus charming way. Front desk staff was less than thrilled to see us. Didn't ask a single question about our trip or offer any local assitance - I had to force him to engage in conversation, and that was only because the elevator wasn't working and he had to assist us at that point. Overall, the room was very clean although bathrooms are aging and not much in the way of amenities, but that's fine, I bring my own. Beds were comfortable, which was a plus. Hardwood floors are nice, but very squeeky.And the walls were paper thin. Heard my neighbors all night and morning long, talking and laughing and hosting a party with friends. Could hear the squeeky floors from the other rooms as well. So sleeping soundly was not an option. Our room on the 3rd floor faced an ugly alley way with dumpters that were emptied at the crack of dawn - very loud. My husband enjoyed the breakfast but by the time I got there, it was wiped out with still an hour left open. The morning front desk staff was much friendlier than the individual who checked us in. This place needs a refurb, and it needs some security out front.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family