“Nice Place & A Good Value”

Red Roof Inn Greensboro Coliseum
Ranked #24 of 77 Hotels in Greensboro
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I realize the two-story, exterior-corridor motel design has been around for decades, and many travelers prefer a more modern design. But when I've had my fill of the Interstate and I'm looking for a place to rest, I rather like the classic layout. The parking lot at most motels is usually big enough that you can park close to your room, which makes it a cinch to unload the car. If you're on the ground floor, it's even easier. In some cases the distance between your trunk and the door to your room can be measured in inches. Getting back on the road in the morning is equally easy, and that can save some serious time.

That's why I like the Red Roof Inns, where they've perfected this classic lodging formula. Unlike many motels (which are frankly scarifying) the Red Roof chain does a good job keeping their properties clean and fresh and updated. You'll pay a little more than at the national chains catering to the budget-minded traveler. But you'll get more as well.

Recently stayed in Room 116, which Red Roof calls a "superior king." (You may remember when they called it a "business king.") It was absolutely spotless and odor free. As you can see from the photos, the case goods are new and feature a contemporary design. The carpet was new as well. The linens and towels weren't as fancy as you'd find in a Marriott or Hilton, but they were fresh and clean. The desk and swivel chair were nicer than many I've found in hotels at twice the price. The wi-fi connected easily and ran fast. Even though it was over 90 degrees when I checked in, the window shaker blew ice cold, and the small refrigerator kept my drinks frosty.

I have a few nits to pick. They charge an "optional" $1.50 charge for the safe. You don't have to pay it, but you do have to ask for them to remove it from the bill. Call it clueless traveler fee. The bathroom is small. And booking online sometimes results in a higher rate than calling the reservation desk. But those are small things. For $72.15 including tax, the Red Roof Inn near the Coliseum in Greensboro was a pretty good deal.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank E31_Owner

Reviewed August 2, 2011

We got this room to see a concert and we definitely got out money's worth... This was nice and cheap($75) but it was also pretty clean and everyone was nice. It was great to see a show at the coliseum as you are not in your room anyway so you might as well stay somehwhere cheap and clean. We will absolutely be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joe J
Reviewed July 4, 2011

When we arrived we were very tired from traveling, and all we wanted to do was get into a clean, comfortable room and relax. The room was very clean and affordable. The desk clerk Sherica was very helpful with providing directions and information on things to do in the area. We will be back in the near future and look forward to our next stay at The Red Roof.
Thanks,
Andrea

Room Tip: The superior king had everything we needed.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank msreid107
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I was very pleased with my stay at this property. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful and courteous. Front desk called shortly after check in to make sure room was good. The accommodations were clean and comfortable, and the price was great. I will definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2011

My teenage son and I stayed here for one night for as we had a soccer event we had to attend and didn't feel like driving back to Charlotte.

The price of the room was great and the room was spotless. The grounds of the hotel were clean and well kept up. There are several places within walking distance to eat and lots of other facilities in the area.

I only used the wifi briefly and it worked with no problems or hassles to log on.

The AC in our room worked great and the TV provided some good movie options but was a little expensive for new releases ($16). There were other less expensive options however. Based on the price of the room, we splurged and got a movie to watch later at night.

Beds were very comfy and clean and the pillows were some of the softest ever.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Every year I take a trip just to get away. I've always wanted to visit the area, so I did. I arrived in Greensboro much sooner than I expected and called the hotel to see if they would let me check in early. Not only did they let me check in early, but my room was cleaning and very appealing when I arrived. For the two nights I was there I never had a problem with noise or anything else. Definitely will be staying here again when I visit the Greensboro area

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Stayed for one night because of a late day at the coliseum. I had minimal expectations and was still disappointed. We requested a non-smoking room but it smelled like a smokers room. Even the towels smelled like smoke!

There is NO free TV. You can watch shows from previous weeks for a $5 charge....movies for a 13-$15 charge. This negates the good price of the room! In our case there was something wrong so we couldn't even view a pay per view movie. (It kept indicating that each of the 30 movies we selected were unavailable. I called several times to the front desk and they did not know how to solve the problem..said they would come later but never did.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank twilightdawn
NCRedRoofGM, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Greensboro Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Greensboro Coliseum Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Red Roof, we strive to provide every customer with superior service; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I am aware of a problem we had with our pay-preview provider. We do not charge for free TV. We have a cable package that includes HBO, ESPN, TNT, TNN, FOX News, CNN, and several others. I'm not sure if there was confusion with the remote (there are several buttons), but by using the channel buttons you can navigate free and pay-channels. I understand how frustrating the smoke smell must have been. We try to keep our non-smoking rooms free of smoke odor but it appears in your case a previous guest smoked in the room. I will share your feedback with our staff as it appears we did not follow-up with your issues. We will use this to prevent any future occurrence.